Bill Lazor on Dolphins' deep ball: 'We've got to figure it out together' | Page 5 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Lazor on Dolphins' deep ball: 'We've got to figure it out together'

For the Tom Brady leg huggers.....

Tom Brady Throws Worst Deep Ball In NFL But Is Best Under 15 Yards

New England Patriots Schedule Standings Stats Roster Video Live Blog Odds Scout:

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/scout-tom-brady-has-worst-deep-ball-in-nfl-best-short-yardage-qb/

------------------------------------------------------------

2012 when you'd think he would be in his prime

Tom Brady was among league's worst in 'bad passes' last season

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2012/07/tom_brady_was_among_leagues_wo.html

Brady was 12 for 48 (25%) with 4 TD's and 1 Int on passes thrown more than 21 yards in the air last year.
While the completion percentage is low for that type of throw the 4 TD's are the important stat. 1 TD for every 12 long pass attempts.
(2) 50 plus yarder came in the 4th quarters of close game that the Patriots ended up winning.

Ryan was 9 for 42 (21.4%) with 2 TD's and 2 Interceptions on passes thrown more than 21 yards in the air last year. That equates to a TD in every 21 long pass attempts.

The one thing that people are missing about Brady is that he has completed those long passes before in his career so you have to respect that aspect of his game even though he isn't as good at it anymore. Since Ryan hasn't ever been successful at it teams are giving him little respect and guarding the LOS in crucial parts of games. Had Ryan hit just 2 more of those long passes for TD's his long passing stats would match Brady's for last year and we probably make the playoffs.

Now a lot goes into competing these long plays. So it is not just on Ryan. We need better blocking to give him more time and better catching by the receivers when Ryan does put it on the money. Hopefully the new linemen and receivers are the things that helps gets this corrected.

Now a lot goes into competing these long plays. So it is not just on Ryan. We need better blocking to give him more time and better catching by the receivers when Ryan does put it on the money. Hopefully the new linemen and receivers are the things that helps gets this corrected.

this

Brady was 12 for 48 (25%) with 4 TD's and 1 Int on passes thrown more than 21 yards in the air last year.
While the completion percentage is low for that type of throw the 4 TD's are the important stat. 1 TD for every 12 long pass attempts.
(2) 50 plus yarder came in the 4th quarters of close game that the Patriots ended up winning.

Ryan was 9 for 42 (21.4%) with 2 TD's and 2 Interceptions on passes thrown more than 21 yards in the air last year. That equates to a TD in every 21 long pass attempts.

The one thing that people are missing about Brady is that he has completed those long passes before in his career so you have to respect that aspect of his game even though he isn't as good at it anymore. Since Ryan hasn't ever been successful at it teams are giving him little respect and guarding the LOS in crucial parts of games. Had Ryan hit just 2 more of those long passes for TD's his long passing stats would match Brady's for last year and we probably make the playoffs.

There are many variables in long deep passes being productive and not, you wanting to paint them as all being RT's fault. But there are over 20 or so sports write ups and blogs a few I provided on how Brady is average at the long ball with one good year but he his team gets to the playoffs every year proving it not being so important.

Long time consuming drives that sucks the life out of the opposing defenses is what I like to see. Especially in the home games (Humidity).

There are many variables in long deep passes being productive and not, you wanting to paint them as all being RT's fault. But there are over 20 or so sports write ups and blogs a few I provided on how Brady is average at the long ball with one good year but he his team gets to the playoffs every year proving it not being so important.

Long time consuming drives that sucks the life out of the opposing defenses is what I like to see. Especially in the home games (Humidity).

If we're talking about variables, then why don't we factor in the multitude of them that allows Brady to carve teams up successfully with an intermediate passing game. You have to have a synergistic team to play that way, which we have never had from coaching to the players. Each side of the ball is always shooting the other in the foot.

Teams like the Patriots with THAT passing offense are rare. Trying to model ourselves after it is a pointless endeavor.

If we're talking about variables, then why don't we factor in the multitude of them that allows Brady to carve teams up successfully with an intermediate passing game. You have to have a synergistic team to play that way, which we have never had from coaching to the players. Each side of the ball is always shooting the other in the foot.

Teams like the Patriots with THAT passing offense are rare. Trying to model ourselves after it is a pointless endeavor.

Who said we were trying to model the patriots. Topic is long ball production.I like our offense direction and am not in awe as some here with Brady and their offense.

The issue with our deep ball statistics is being overstated. Tannehill has hit 20+ yard passes to Hartline, Gibson, and Clay at more than a 40% completion %. What was his completion % to Wallace? Around 30%. Is it just Mike Wallace? I see plenty of reason to accept that it is when Brian Hartline was targeted like 30 times for 20+ yard passes and caught 48% of them. I won't quote the statistics in this post because I didn't find any for last season, but a simple Google search about Tannehill and deep passes will turn up stats for 2013 and 2014.

As for 50+ yard passing TD's, does anyone really expect that we would get more than maybe one of those out of guys like Brian Hartline and Charles Clay? I remember clearly one play when Brian Hartline did NOT fall down within 2 seconds of catching a 20+ yard pass, and I believe it DID go all the way. To put it another way, outside of Wallace these are not the type of players who are going to create plays out of intermediate passes.

Let's go back to Wallace. Making deep passes to Wallace rarely succeeded. It's not something the Dolphins did a lot, and it's understandable why. I would be surprised if we don't eclipse our 3 year total of 50+ yard TD's this season. Now that Miami has multiple receivers who will climb the ladder and have the ability to make some plays, I see no reason they won't roll the dice more, especially in games where they are trailing in the 4th quarter.

Back
Top Bottom