Bill Lazor on Dolphins' deep ball: 'We've got to figure it out together' | Page 4 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Lazor on Dolphins' deep ball: 'We've got to figure it out together'

The source of that stat is the TD logs from the Dolphins for the last 3 years. New England runs the same short passing game that we do. Just last year they produced 3 of those 50 yard TD's in one single season despite throwing mostly short passes. All 3 came in tight games in the 4th quarter. All 3 games they won due to the big passing TD late in the game with defense pressing the LOS. Without those plays in the Buffalo, S.D regular season games they could have easily been 10-6 instead of 12-4. Then add in the TD to tie the Baltimore playoff game and you have 3 victories keyed by late long TD passes that burned the defense.

While 3 for NE to none for us isn't a huge difference it did add up to 3 more wins. If you don't think those late passing TD's are a factor in wins and losses then you must not be watching these football games. Had we been able to hit those passes in the KC, Baltimore and Detroit games in the 4th when they were pressing us I'm sure we would have made the playoff last year just like New England.

Great point.

And a year ago in a playoff loss at denver brady couldnt throw the deep ball in the ocean with wide open options

I think he was 0 for 5 in that one on deep balls...threw one with a guy open by 5 yards completely out the back of the end zone and off the playing field

Last edited by a moderator:
“@FO_ScottKacsmar: Most short (< 2.6 seconds) sacks allowed, 2014
1. Jaguars - 32
2. Buccaneers - 24
3. Dolphins - 23

For f'n shame, Florida.”

This def would have a huge negative effect on a QBs deep ball.

I have little doubt the deep ball will be successful more often this year, just given our new recievers and Cameron. Its like night and day comparing Wallace's catch radius to Parker, be it due to physical reasons or just plain old effort, or both.

The source of that stat is the TD logs from the Dolphins for the last 3 years. New England runs the same short passing game that we do. Just last year they produced 3 of those 50 yard TD's in one single season despite throwing mostly short passes. All 3 came in tight games in the 4th quarter. All 3 games they won due to the big passing TD late in the game with defense pressing the LOS. Without those plays in the Buffalo, S.D regular season games they could have easily been 10-6 instead of 12-4. Then add in the TD to tie the Baltimore playoff game and you have 3 victories keyed by late long TD passes that burned the defense.

While 3 for NE to none for us isn't a huge difference it did add up to 3 more wins. If you don't think those late passing TD's are a factor in wins and losses then you must not be watching these football games. Had we been able to hit those passes in the KC, Baltimore and Detroit games in the 4th when they were pressing us I'm sure we would have made the playoff last year just like New England.

I'm not saying they aren't a factor. I'm saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. You don't need 50 yard touchdown passes to dictate a defense. If you can attack 20 or more yards down the field on the outside or up the seam then you can back a defense off the LOS just fine. Especially with the presence of someone who can run by defenders. Being a surgeon and leading your offense up the field in less than 2 minutes is just fine by me.

Do I want to see our offense produce a few big play touchdowns throughout a season? Hell yea I do. But I'm not gonna trot around and try to pretend that's the reason we lost those games in KC, Baltimore, and Detroit, and I'm not going to pretend that the deep ball is what's holding our team back from the playoffs. There is much, much more to those Patriot victories than just those late game touchdowns, as there is a lot more to those Dolphin losses as well, and if YOU don't see THAT, then you're not watching much of any football games. Execution, coaching, and QB talent is how the Patriots are doing it....their secret sauce is a lot of things and deep touchdown passes aren't exactly at the top of the list, IMO.

FWIW, here's a Mike Wallace highlight video posted to youtube in 2011. I purposely chose a highlight reel of his best seasons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZi0Vnx15AU

There are a couple of quick strike deep passes for TD's. I also see some short strikes where Wallace was able to stretch the play. There's a ton of basket catches, which I will admit that Tannehill wasn't good at providing. Frankly, many of those deep passes were dead on the money to land in his arms like that.

The problem was pairing a 2nd year QB with Mike Wallace and expecting to hit the basket on deep passes.

That's where I think the major issue is with a guy like Mike Wallace. I think there are very few 2nd and 3rd year QB's who are going to hit Mike Wallace deep like that. That was Big Ben in his 7th and 8th seasons planting the ball in the basket. Will Ryan Tannehill ever be that accurate? That is certainly questionable. Does he have to be that accurate? I don't think so.

I will be paying attention to Teddy Bridgewater in Minnesota. He's a 2nd year QB. I've seen his highlight videos. I don't see any passes that Tannehill hasn't made. I think we're going to see Wallace, again, paired with a young QB. I think the pairing can work out if Bridgewater is allowed to scramble and plays have time to break down. It could work in Minnesota. The problem, still, is pairing a 2nd year QB with Mike Wallace, and, of course, expecting deep passes that land in a moving basket.
you hit it on the head a bridgewater - he will hit Wallace deep on busted plays where he runs around and what not.

I'm not saying they aren't a factor. I'm saying there's more than one way to skin a cat. You don't need 50 yard touchdown passes to dictate a defense. If you can attack 20 or more yards down the field on the outside or up the seam then you can back a defense off the LOS just fine. Especially with the presence of someone who can run by defenders. Being a surgeon and leading your offense up the field in less than 2 minutes is just fine by me.

Do I want to see our offense produce a few big play touchdowns throughout a season? Hell yea I do. But I'm not gonna trot around and try to pretend that's the reason we lost those games in KC, Baltimore, and Detroit, and I'm not going to pretend that the deep ball is what's holding our team back from the playoffs. There is much, much more to those Patriot victories than just those late game touchdowns, as there is a lot more to those Dolphin losses as well, and if YOU don't see THAT, then you're not watching much of any football games. Execution, coaching, and QB talent is how the Patriots are doing it....their secret sauce is a lot of things and deep touchdown passes aren't exactly at the top of the list, IMO.
NE won the SB w all no 3 slow receivers and no deep threat to your point. I used to be one of these guys that insisted we couldn't win unless tanehill and Wallace could hook up but I've had to rethink that given what just happened last year w amadoofus, la-fail and Edelman. Deflated balls or not, NE wasn't hitting deep throws like ever during the season. Dink dink dunk.

For the Tom Brady leg huggers.....

Tom Brady Throws Worst Deep Ball In NFL But Is Best Under 15 Yards

New England Patriots Schedule Standings Stats Roster Video Live Blog Odds Scout:

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/scout-tom-brady-has-worst-deep-ball-in-nfl-best-short-yardage-qb/

------------------------------------------------------------

2012 when you'd think he would be in his prime

Tom Brady was among league's worst in 'bad passes' last season

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2012/07/tom_brady_was_among_leagues_wo.html

Last edited by a moderator:
RT has barely played qb at a high level, he will practice and it will only get better. Patience folks...

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

For the Tom Brady leg huggers.....

Tom Brady Throws Worst Deep Ball In NFL But Is Best Under 15 Yards

New England Patriots Schedule Standings Stats Roster Video Live Blog Odds Scout:

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2014/10/scout-tom-brady-has-worst-deep-ball-in-nfl-best-short-yardage-qb/

------------------------------------------------------------

2012 when you'd think he would be in his prime

Tom Brady was among league's worst in 'bad passes' last season

http://blog.masslive.com/patriots/2012/07/tom_brady_was_among_leagues_wo.html

That is because deflated balls dont carry as far..

RT has barely played qb at a high level, he will practice and it will only get better. Patience folks...

---------- Post added at 05:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:36 PM ----------

That is because deflated balls dont carry as far..

Patience? It's go time. Too much patience with patience around this organization.

What about him? Brady re-wrote the record books when he had a legit deep threat.

That comparison doesn't hold much weight....among many other reasons.

Doesn't hold much weight? Odd that without that deep threat, Brady is one of the worst long ball passers in the NFL. That was the comparison I was aiming to make and it holds a great deal of weight and is backed up statistically. He continues to have success without an abundance of bombs and yet that is what people here in this fan base think that hinges success. Brady plays the exact same type of football Tannehill does with better weapons around him. Tannehill having Wallace isn't close to the comparison of Brady having Moss. They are apples and oranges in terms of what kind of WR they are outside of being deep threats...

Nobody is saying you must hit the bomb every time. But you must hit it occasionally to keep defenses honest. The fact that Brady hit 2 of these 50 yards TD's in the 4th quarter of close games that were won by Patriots shows how important they can be.

And as someone stated earlier in the thread it doesn't have to be a 50 yard plus TD. It needs be in that 20 plus yard range where you throw over most of the defenders and burn the defense. This will make them back off guarding the LOS.

If the OL stays healthy combined with a larger receiving corps, those TWO things should significantly improve the Dolphins deep pass game. Never mind what should be a better attitude within the WR corps and offensive meeting room since Mr. Wallace is now gone.

Back
Top Bottom