Bill Parcells Giants days | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Parcells Giants days

vans12

Scout Team
Reaction score
For those of you who are older and remember when Bill Parcells was coaching the Giants, remember when he had a cornerback that he called toast. Elvis Patterson I believe his name was and he won a super bowl with that guy as one of his starters. He use to call the guy toast and said I think to the press that if the pass rush doesn't get to the QB then toast will get burned.

The reason I bring this up is because I believe Parcells and company want to build a dominant pass rush first and taking there chances on some of the CB's. Only time will tell but a dominant pass rush makes an avergage corner look great.

...but he also took Terrence Newman at #5 overall his first year with the Cowboys, and paid big money for Anthony Henry, so it's not like he doesn't see it as a valuable position.

Parcells has a history of playing CBs supposedly limited coverage skills— Everson Walls and Otis Smith are prime examples. His secondary generally has good depth and complementary skills, such as a nickel back that can stick with a slot receiver.

Based upon the above, I doubt that Dolphins will add what FHer fans would consider as a shutdown corner. Instead, the player that mans the spot is likely to be a bigger player with red zone skills and is good tackler. This regime places high value on holding teams to field goals and limiting opposing offenses from maintaining ball possession with runs and short passes.

If Jason Allen wins this spot, the secondary will be manned by players that love to tackle. Perhaps, this could allow the front 7 to be more aggressive against the base offensive sets. Obviously, QBs would try to pick on Allen’s coverage skills; however, most teams roll double coverage to handle the top receivers. Therefore, if Allen and the safety can play effective bracket coverage and demonstrate ball skills for throws into the area, Dolphins fans may be pleasantly surprise again by our secondary’s performance.

Parcells has a history of playing CBs supposedly limited coverage skills— Everson Walls and Otis Smith are prime examples. His secondary generally has good depth and complementary skills, such as a nickel back that can stick with a slot receiver.

Based upon the above, I doubt that Dolphins will add what FHer fans would consider as a shutdown corner. Instead, the player that mans the spot is likely to be a bigger player with red zone skills and is good tackler. This regime places high value on holding teams to field goals and limiting opposing offenses from maintaining ball possession with runs and short passes.

If Jason Allen wins this spot, the secondary will be manned by players that love to tackle. Perhaps, this could allow the front 7 to be more aggressive against the base offensive sets. Obviously, QBs would try to pick on Allen’s coverage skills; however, most teams roll double coverage to handle the top receivers. Therefore, if Allen and the safety can play effective bracket coverage and demonstrate ball skills for throws into the area, Dolphins fans may be pleasantly surprise again by our secondary’s performance.

Excellent post!!!

For those of you who are older and remember when Bill Parcells was coaching the Giants, remember when he had a cornerback that he called toast. Elvis Patterson I believe his name was and he won a super bowl with that guy as one of his starters. He use to call the guy toast and said I think to the press that if the pass rush doesn't get to the QB then toast will get burned.

The reason I bring this up is because I believe Parcells and company want to build a dominant pass rush first and taking there chances on some of the CB's. Only time will tell but a dominant pass rush makes an avergage corner look great.

I remember those days when I lived in Jersey, and it was Elvis Patterson that was called "Toast". :lol: Ahhhh, those were the days, the Giants had a h@!! of a front 7.

Great post up until "If Jason Allen wins this spot, the secondary will be manned by players that love to tackle" Will Allen is as soft a CB as there is in football.

Now back to your point, J. Allen with all his "problems" on the field, noone can deny he doesnt enjoy popping a good lick.
Chubbs

He is neither the coach or gm now. I do not see the correlation one way or other.

Its like making a statement based on the fact that he has not won a playoff game without his old DC who he said will never be a head coach in nfl.

Ex. Andre Goodman good luck to the broncos with him.

Are you guys really comparing the late 80's and early 90's to today's NFL. The players are bigger stronger and faster not to mention the offenses are more complex! This is why parcells hasn't done **** since he coached the Giants! He is less then average since the dawn of free agency and the salary cap era.

Here we go with the Bill Parcells analysis.

1. Bill wears size 45 boxers
2. His teams usually know how he looks naked
3. "Back in the day" Bill Parcells belly could only
hold one child, while he can hold serveral now.

Great post up until "If Jason Allen wins this spot, the secondary will be manned by players that love to tackle" Will Allen is as soft a CB as there is in football.

Now back to your point, J. Allen with all his "problems" on the field, noone can deny he doesnt enjoy popping a good lick.
Chubbs

did you really just call will Allen soft??
wow:nublar:

Chubbs

The same Will Allen that plays for us? I can't believe it. It must be a different Will Allen than I saw.

Parcells and the Steelers subscribe to the same theory of successful pressure with the front 7 hinders the passing game. No need for a high priced shut down corner if you're effective in employing this. I think the focus is the front 7 right now and I can see them adding perhaps Butler and/or Smith in the secondary via the draft.

did you really just call will Allen soft??
wow:nublar:

WIll Allen is as soft as they come. Go back watch him tackle. When one on one, he either pushes the WR out of bounds, or chop blocks them. I meant to also say that J. Allen does like to hit.
Chubbs.

Back
Top Bottom