Bill Parcells is correct, Miami doesn't have a complete passing game

SWS84

Second String
Joined
Feb 18, 2002
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
3
as long a Feidlers our QB. I'm not bashing Jay, but it's obvious he cannot throw a deep pass. Whats more disappointing, is he doesn't hit our recievers in stride (most of the time) and his placement on his throws blows.

With that said, it's only one game and the season is just starting. I still have confidence that we can do better and make a season of it, but we can't expect Jay to get it done in an offensive shootout like we had today.

We fell short in a lot of areas today. Ricky fumbled, and Jay threw three interceptions, THREE!. Sure we can make a case for the passpro, but we were playing catch up most of the day and the defence was T-ing off on us.

Another thing. I think the game plan was flawed in the beginning as we came out throwing more than we ran it. I know we were trying to take advantage of a porous KC secondary, but Jay wasn't able to take advantage of them which brings me to my first point. Bill Parcells is correct is saying that Miami doesn't have a complete offense and thus lacks a NFL caliber passing attack.

As I said before, I'm not bashing Jay. I still think we can win with him. We will have to tailor the offense a little bit and play more ball control and expect more from our defense (if we can fix our secondary). It won't be as easy, but it can be done.

Go Dolphins!
 

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Joined
Sep 4, 2001
Messages
13,973
Reaction score
2
Age
57
Location
CT
Jay threw 4 INTS, but I completely disagree. Miami has a great passing attack, when it is play-action passing. We are a running team, that has an OC who will throw to ball to anyone on the field. We may not have a QB who can throw the long ball, but we have loads of guys that can move the chains and get decent YAC. All Miami needs to do is give the ball to Ricky and not turn it over (that includes Ricky, too) and they will win almost every game. They will just need to do more win the tough games like taking the ball away or scoring on STs
 

baccarat

Adam the Quarterback
Joined
Jan 20, 2002
Messages
3,534
Reaction score
0
Re: Re: Bill Parcells is correct, Miami doesn't have a complete passing game

Originally posted by dolphan39
Jay threw 4 INTS, but I completely disagree. Miami has a great passing attack, when it is play-action passing. We are a running team, that has an OC who will throw to ball to anyone on the field. We may not have a QB who can throw the long ball, but we have loads of guys that can move the chains and get decent YAC. All Miami needs to do is give the ball to Ricky and not turn it over (that includes Ricky, too) and they will win almost every game. They will just need to do more win the tough games like taking the ball away or scoring on STs

We definately abandoned the run game too early.
 

SWS84

Second String
Joined
Feb 18, 2002
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
3
Re: Re: Bill Parcells is correct, Miami doesn't have a complete passing game

Originally posted by dolphan39
Jay threw 4 INTS, but I completely disagree. Miami has a great passing attack, when it is play-action passing. We are a running team, that has an OC who will throw to ball to anyone on the field. We may not have a QB who can throw the long ball, but we have loads of guys that can move the chains and get decent YAC. All Miami needs to do is give the ball to Ricky and not turn it over (that includes Ricky, too) and they will win almost every game. They will just need to do more win the tough games like taking the ball away or scoring on STs
True, I can't argue that, as long as Jay isn't turning the ball over and sticks to the intermediate throws. Thanks for correcting me on the Ints :) Thats FOUR interceptions! FOUR!!!! :)
 

dolphan39

Maria & LauRen Aha!
Joined
Sep 4, 2001
Messages
13,973
Reaction score
2
Age
57
Location
CT
Re: Re: Re: Bill Parcells is correct, Miami doesn't have a complete passing game

Originally posted by SWS84


True, I can't argue that, as long as Jay isn't turning the ball over and sticks to the intermediate throws.
that is all Brady does and everybody is :hail: him
 

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Joined
Sep 3, 2001
Messages
25,552
Reaction score
5
Age
53
Location
your six
I understand what you are saying 39....but if we only have a great play action passing game and not a good deep game, then the passing game IS incomplete....and now that the blueprint for beating the Dolphins has been written can we keep from being put in the situation where we need to make plays down field? That's a big question.....
 

clayton83

Scout Team
Joined
Feb 4, 2002
Messages
343
Reaction score
0
Location
post falls, id
now you see what i see................

inFINSable: this is what i have been saying for some time now.

the bluebrint has been set in stone. bill billichek had his game plan down for us 2 weeks ago. and he will use it.

k.c. beat him to it. they were bringing in 9 guys in the box. that is no respect for the passing game. again, big plays were missed and int's thrown.

wasn't k.c. supposed to have the worst corners in the nfl? were they not almost last in defense?

we knew, and the the finz coaching staff new what kind of game this would be. we were going to have to throw the ball to win and we failed misserably. there were no suprises offensively for us in this one.

norv's offense uses the deep pass as the kill shot. teams know we can not hit it on ANY kind of consistant basis. we are going to see plenty of 9 man fronts. and notice jay isn't scrambling much? i am sure quietly the team has been telling him it is time for him to start hitting some plays with his arm. the look on jays face today said it all.

jay is a top notch person. the kind of guy you want on your team. he just does not have the capabilities to get us to the show and be the catalist for norv's offense.

JIM BATES needs to be taken a look at also. his big game plans are failing. we just flat get toasted by good offenses. it is becoming a theme and something needs to be done.

can't say enough about ricky. dude is a bull. the 2 fumbles sucked, but if we could have kept the game close for longer than 3 minute stretches, he was poised for another big day.

the seasson is young, and there will be some good things for sure. but our weekneses were exposed today and again we are middle of the road.
 

ohall

A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.
Joined
Jan 16, 2002
Messages
29,196
Reaction score
706
Age
50
Location
Orlando, Fl.
Yeah right...

... he sure looked good for 3 weeks. Here's a clue, QB's have bad games, even better ones than Fiedler. Some of you are more pre-occupied with our QB than this team. How sad is that?

Oliver...


Originally posted by SWS84
as long a Feidlers our QB. I'm not bashing Jay, but it's obvious he cannot throw a deep pass. Whats more disappointing, is he doesn't hit our recievers in stride (most of the time) and his placement on his throws blows.

With that said, it's only one game and the season is just starting. I still have confidence that we can do better and make a season of it, but we can't expect Jay to get it done in an offensive shootout like we had today.

We fell short in a lot of areas today. Ricky fumbled, and Jay threw three interceptions, THREE!. Sure we can make a case for the passpro, but we were playing catch up most of the day and the defence was T-ing off on us.

Another thing. I think the game plan was flawed in the beginning as we came out throwing more than we ran it. I know we were trying to take advantage of a porous KC secondary, but Jay wasn't able to take advantage of them which brings me to my first point. Bill Parcells is correct is saying that Miami doesn't have a complete offense and thus lacks a NFL caliber passing attack.

As I said before, I'm not bashing Jay. I still think we can win with him. We will have to tailor the offense a little bit and play more ball control and expect more from our defense (if we can fix our secondary). It won't be as easy, but it can be done.

Go Dolphins!
 

VanDolPhan

Starter
Joined
Mar 3, 2002
Messages
7,199
Reaction score
0
Age
43
Location
Hamilton, Ontario
Ya Jay played great until Mark Dixon went down and the rest of the line seemed to panic and let everyone get to Jay. He did throw for over 300 yards today. Things just got unraveled when they dropped the running game and Dixon got hurt.
 

ohall

A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.
Joined
Jan 16, 2002
Messages
29,196
Reaction score
706
Age
50
Location
Orlando, Fl.
I'm amazed RW's got 66 yards today...

... he and the rush D are the only bright spots I can think of from today. It's a shame he fumbled that ball though, he deserves better than that.

Oliver...


Originally posted by VanDolPhan
Ya Jay played great until Mark Dixon went down and the rest of the line seemed to panic and let everyone get to Jay. He did throw for over 300 yards today. Things just got unraveled when they dropped the running game and Dixon got hurt.
 

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Joined
Sep 3, 2001
Messages
25,552
Reaction score
5
Age
53
Location
your six
Oliver...how can you not see that clayton83 is right....Jay is not the QB who is going to beat you deep consistently....It's a weakness in his game....everybody has weaknesses especially QB's wearing defenders around their neck all day....give Jay the running game and play action passes and he will get the job done....force him to win the game by himself and chances are 50/50.....he's done it before, and he'll do it again but he won't do it consistently and that's bottom line....
 

Muck

Now completely imaginary
Hammered
Joined
Feb 3, 2002
Messages
30,528
Reaction score
7
Location
Elsewhere
Two things that seperated Jay Fiedler from Trent Green today:

1) Jay has ligament damage to the index finger on his throwing hand.

2) Trent Green had all day to throw.

Say what you want......but this is not a good pass blocking OL. Yes, we've faced some very good pass rush units these last few weeks. But we look like two seperate units out there. We've got a smart/effective line in the run game. And then we watch that same line get pushed back in the passing game. It's not good to see.

On the other side of the field, we watched a classic Marino OL. They couldn't handle us in the run game. But boy did they protect Green on passing downs. He just stood back there and picked us apart with precision passes. His jersey looked pretty clean by game's end.

Trent Green may be a better QB than Fiedler. But wouldn't know it because they were performing in completely opposite sets of circumstances today.
 

SWS84

Second String
Joined
Feb 18, 2002
Messages
1,687
Reaction score
3
Actually, I can only speak for myself and

Originally posted by Oliver
... he sure looked good for 3 weeks. Here's a clue, QB's have bad games, even better ones than Fiedler. Some of you are more pre-occupied with our QB than this team. How sad is that?

Oliver...


I am concerned about any area on our team that plays poorly. Today that area is Jay Feidler. He threw FOUR interceptions today!
Another area that I pointed out (in another thread) that played badly was our Defense. I didn't give up on our team and never said that I lost confidence with our team or Jay. I think a fan can make observations about a bad game or a player/teams performance. Whats SAD is your continued attack against people because they don't see Jay as the player you do!
 

ohall

A Miami Dolphins fan, not a players fan.
Joined
Jan 16, 2002
Messages
29,196
Reaction score
706
Age
50
Location
Orlando, Fl.
He beat the Chiefs deep today...

... and that was against cover 2 defense. I have no doubt in my mind Fiedler and Chambers will return to their deep ball form from last year, in time.

Oliver...


Originally posted by inFINSible
Oliver...how can you not see that clayton83 is right....Jay is not the QB who is going to beat you deep consistently....It's a weakness in his game....everybody has weaknesses especially QB's wearing defenders around their neck all day....give Jay the running game and play action passes and he will get the job done....force him to win the game by himself and chances are 50/50.....he's done it before, and he'll do it again but he won't do it consistently and that's bottom line....
 
Top Bottom