Bill Parcells takes blame for Pat White pick | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Parcells takes blame for Pat White pick

Yea, you had to figure Parcells was responsible for both Long over Ryan and Pat White. Parcells was so thrilled with the power running game in 2008 he outthunk his whole philosophy and let Dan Henning and David Lee talk him into expanding the wildcat.

Long over Ryan just seemed typical Parcells. Long was a polished up Jumbo Elliot, you know Parcells was making that pick. I'm cool with it, but it doesn't look good when the QB you passed on is touted as the best young passer since the 2004/2005 drafts. They just never hit on that QB and that will sink a regime.

It's over now, hopefully Ireland learned from those mistakes and has a great draft.

Brees, then Ryan. We had our chances to draft these guys and the FO passed.
At least Parcells is falling on the sword for Ireland. Parcells really doesn't care what anyone thinks anyway.
There are a couple of QB's in this draft, hopefully we will get lucky and pick the right guy for a change.
I also hope we draft Noel Devine, that guy will be great in the NFL.

At least Parcells is falling on the sword for Ireland. Parcells really doesn't care what anyone thinks anyway.
There are a couple of QB's in this draft, hopefully we will get lucky and pick the right guy for a change.

Devine is so tiny though, I worry about durability . . . but that kid is definitely explosive. Hey, if his named is called in round 7, I am all for it. Nothing too high for him though.

Exactly! It is just the right thing to say to help those left behind. It means nothing for sure but I'm sure he had a hand in it.

Also had the opportunity to draft one Aaron Rodgers. (But that was the start of the Saban era). Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees - one of the high points in the Wannstedt era. Who could forget the mormon wildman, John Beck in the Cam Cameron era.
If you are hard-nosed about it, we've been very tentative in drafting QBs. We should have been lining up a 1st round successor to Marino 2 years before he retired.

Also had the opportunity to draft one Aaron Rodgers. (But that was the start of the Saban era). Jamar Fletcher over Drew Brees - one of the high points in the Wannstedt era. Who could forget the mormon wildman, John Beck in the Cam Cameron era.
If you are hard-nosed about it, we've been very tentative in drafting QBs. We should have been lining up a 1st round successor to Marino 2 years before he retired.

During Shula's time as coach, we used to draft QB's almost every year, even when we had established pro bowl QB's in Griese and Marino. It is good policy. If a guy is overlooked, or too good to pass up, you take him regardless of need. You never know when your starter's career will end, and you better have the heir apparent sitting on the bench ready to take over the team to the playoffs. Sometimes those guys can actually make some plays for the team like Jim "crash" Jensen in non QB duty.
Our team is QB poor and has been this way since Marino retired. Jay Fiedler and Pennington gave us some excitement and they played with a lion heart, but their lack of a NFL arm and injuries was their down fall.
Ireland and Sparano better wise up quick...you cannot be a winner in the NFL consistently without a great prototype pocket passing QB. .

you can't complain about Jake since he is an elite player at a very important position. The Pat White pick was unacceptable however. I understood the idea behind the pick, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out White couldn't throw the ball. Hell, Bill Stewart's first year as HC, he said he wanted to use White more as a passer but White REALLY struggled in that roll

Watch Henne have an all-pro season and Tuna coming to the media and saying "That was MY PICK!"

you can't complain about Jake since he is an elite player at a very important position. The Pat White pick was unacceptable however. I understood the idea behind the pick, but it didn't take a rocket scientist to figure out White couldn't throw the ball. Hell, Bill Stewart's first year as HC, he said he wanted to use White more as a passer but White REALLY struggled in that roll

This is what I found odd about Parcells' comments. If he said that White failed to grasp the pro game or something like that, OK. But the problem was that he was inaccurate?? Like, they couldn't tell that from the many games they watched him play in college?

Back
Top Bottom