Bill Simmons - The Sports Guy | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Simmons - The Sports Guy

ForksPhin

Scout Team
Club Member
Reaction score
I hate the fact that he is a Patriots fan, but Simmons from ESPN.com is a funny guy. He loves the fact that Saban screwed the Phins, but I still found his comment on the situation to be funny, in a painful sort of way...

Last spring, Saban was deciding between Drew Brees and Daunte Culpepper and ended up signing the wrong guy. Huge mistake on about 20 different levels, but the important thing to remember is that one decision killed Miami's entire season. And he made it. Anyway, the season finally ends and Saban says to himself, "Well, I can kill myself working 16 hours a day trying to make it work in a tough division with Culpepper, Joey Harrington and Cleo Lemon as my QBs ... or I can get a fresh start with the most famous coaching job in college football for $32 million guaranteed. Hmmmmmm."
I mean ... OF COURSE he was going to leave! Did you really think he was sticking around? I'm surprised he didn't leave treadmarks. So Saban rides off into the sunset, never to be seen again, and the poor Dolphins fans wake up tomorrow and they're still stuck with Culpepper, Harrington and Lemon. How is that fair? I hope the Dolphins fans band together and break the record for "most turd sandwiches ever FedEx'd to one person."

Yeah, Bill Simmons can be a funny guy and is a good writer. But this, like every comment he makes about the Fins, shows an inability to analyze the situation beyond a quick skim of what the rest of the media says.

The bad decision wasn't necessarily taking Daunte over Brees. And notice that he doesn't list any of the reasons that was a bad choice. He simply states his opinion, doesn't give any evidence, and moves on.

The big mistake Saban made was putting Daunte in before he was healthy or fully recovered. Daunte is taller, bigger, has a stronger arm, and is just as accurate as Brees. Brees had two good years in an offense that featured the best running back and the best tight end in football. Daunte had more than two outstanding years in Minnesota. Knee injuries, while serious, are recoverable given adequate time. Shoulder injuries, while maybe not as serious (except for Qbs), are a bit uncertain. And Brees was not know as a guy who had the strongest arm to begin with.

So as we look back, we can obviously see that Brees had the far better year. And it would appear that Saban made the wrong choice between the two. But it wasn't a slam dunk at the time and it was reasonable to choose Daunte. And this year in no way guarantees anything for next year. Daunte could get fully recovered and find his probowl form. And Brees could struggle with some sort of lingering shoulder problems. Or he could continue to play well. Either way, lets leave it behind us and hope that Daunte can get healthy for next year.

Hmmm, good idea. I am go gonna drink some milk right now ( I am lactose intolerant ).

Yeah, Bill Simmons can be a funny guy and is a good writer. But this, like every comment he makes about the Fins, shows an inability to analyze the situation beyond a quick skim of what the rest of the media says.

The bad decision wasn't necessarily taking Daunte over Brees. And notice that he doesn't list any of the reasons that was a bad choice. He simply states his opinion, doesn't give any evidence, and moves on.

The big mistake Saban made was putting Daunte in before he was healthy or fully recovered. Daunte is taller, bigger, has a stronger arm, and is just as accurate as Brees. Brees had two good years in an offense that featured the best running back and the best tight end in football. Daunte had more than two outstanding years in Minnesota. Knee injuries, while serious, are recoverable given adequate time. Shoulder injuries, while maybe not as serious (except for Qbs), are a bit uncertain. And Brees was not know as a guy who had the strongest arm to begin with.

So as we look back, we can obviously see that Brees had the far better year. And it would appear that Saban made the wrong choice between the two. But it wasn't a slam dunk at the time and it was reasonable to choose Daunte. And this year in no way guarantees anything for next year. Daunte could get fully recovered and find his probowl form. And Brees could struggle with some sort of lingering shoulder problems. Or he could continue to play well. Either way, lets leave it behind us and hope that Daunte can get healthy for next year.

Also, medically speaking, its a miracle Brees was even able to throw the ball by training camp, much less do what hes doing now for the saints. It was the right move based on the medical information that was given. On paper, we all would have done the same thing.

Plus, Brees got a huge deal with New Orleans.

I didn't say I agreed with Simmons, just that it was funny. I have been behind the Culpepper move from the beginning and I am still praying that somehow he can get healthy. You never know, with a healthy Culpepper playing at a high level, there is no reason that the Dolphins can't become the 2007 version of the Saints (although we don't have Colston and Reggie Bush, unfortunately).

Also, medically speaking, its a miracle Brees was even able to throw the ball by training camp, much less do what hes doing now for the saints. It was the right move based on the medical information that was given. On paper, we all would have done the same thing.

Plus, Brees got a huge deal with New Orleans.

Right. He has a ton of pins and needles throughout his shoulder. Daunte, when recovered, should only need a brace.

I didn't say I agreed with Simmons, just that it was funny. I have been behind the Culpepper move from the beginning and I am still praying that somehow he can get healthy. You never know, with a healthy Culpepper playing at a high level, there is no reason that the Dolphins can't become the 2007 version of the Saints (although we don't have Colston and Reggie Bush, unfortunately).

I wasn't trying to bash you or anything. I just don't like the way Simmons talks about things he doesn't really know about. And like you said, he is a huge Boston/New England fan. And when he says things about other teams, his homerism just lingers around and has an aoura of arrogence around it.

QBs with arms that can JUST make the thows are not good comeback options off major shoulder sugery.

That is one decision Saban screwed up I don't blame him for.

To me, without insider info, it was a no brainer.

QBs with arms that can JUST make the thows are not good comeback options off major shoulder sugery.

That is one decision Saban screwed up I don't blame him for.

To me, without insider info, it was a no brainer.

Seriously. And does anyone believe that Brees would be doing nearly as well down here as he is in NO? There is no way. NO WAY he would be playing as well behind our mediocre at best offensive line and spotty play calling.

Seriously. And does anyone believe that Brees would be doing nearly as well down here as he is in NO? There is no way. NO WAY he would be playing as well behind our mediocre at best offensive line and spotty play calling.

Who knows?

I'll leave that for the stat-geeks.

All I can say is that I'd make that decision three times during the week and twice on sunday.

We may not have Bush, but we have Ronnie Brown. (They got us on the Colston, though). But hell, like you said, Culpepper could change everything. With a throwing game, everything can improve..... offensively. Now if we can get an offesnsive minded coach and an OC that knows that Ronnie Brown is not a QB and know what a fullback is, then we got ourselves a good situation.

Screw FedEx, I am going to Sabans house take a crap in a bag light it on fire ring the doorbell and then hide in the bushes and laugh as I watch Saban stomp it out.

Screw FedEx, I am going to Sabans house take a crap in a bag light it on fire ring the doorbell and then hide in the bushes and laugh as I watch Saban stomp it out.

:lol: Has Adam Sandler given a better moment than that scene in Billy Madison?

'He called the sh*t poop'

Great stuff.

Back
Top Bottom