Bill Walsh comments on Rose Bowl QBs | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Walsh comments on Rose Bowl QBs

Regan21286

Wa Wa Wee Wa
Reaction score
Thought this might bring some more info. A little article in the Los Angeles Times about the future of the draft prospects who played in the Rose Bowl.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/colle...,83077.story?coll=la-homepage-calendar-widget

That said, in the eyes of Walsh, who is no longer affiliated with the 49ers, the best quarterback on the Rose Bowl field was USC's Matt Leinart, who threw for 365 yards and a touchdown in a 41-38 loss.

"He's a pure passer," said Walsh, who coached Hall of Fame quarterbacks Joe Montana and Steve Young. "His chances in the pros are a lot better than [Vince] Young's. He sees his receivers a lot better."

If anyone knows anything about QB's, it's Walsh, who also said some nice comments about Marino way back.

Yea....he had a guy named Steve Young....he could run too....and did many times....but the guy is getting old...you know.

fishypete said:
Yea....he had a guy named Steve Young....he could run too....and did many times....but the guy is getting old...you know.

Steve Young was a pass first QB. He ran only when he needed too. Leinart himself was able to run for first downs, like he did at UCLA. So he's no Bledsoe.

Regan21286 said:
Steve Young was a pass first QB. He ran only when he needed too. Leinart himself was able to run for first downs, like he did at UCLA. So he's no Bledsoe.

And another player named Young runs when he has too also....and alot better than Steve ever could. I saw Steve right out of college playing in Tampa...when he had to run...to stay alive.

fishypete said:
And another player named Young runs when he has too also....and alot better than Steve ever could. I saw Steve right out of college playing in Tampa...when he had to run...to stay alive.

And a Young named Steve is leaps and bounds a better passer than one named Vince.

ckparrothead said:
In all fairness, we don't know that yet.

Ahh I know just exaggerating, but Vince IMO might not be that far below Steve, but he'll not on the same level.

ether79 said:
Ahh I know just exaggerating, but Vince IMO might not be that far below Steve, but he'll not on the same level.

You have no idea how lucky Steve Young was when he got away from Tampa...Young with Tampa wasn't worth a hoot....never would have won half the games and dare say...a superbowl with him there in Tampa.

The vast difference is Steve Young was barely 6 ft...and didn't weigh much more than 200 lbs....Vince is 6'5" 235 and will only get bigger and stronger in the NFL. In a foot race...Vince would beat him easily....Steve had the moves...but didn't have the speed....I remember one game where he ran for around 20 yds for a score...and barely made it to the goal line...before falling down on his face.

fishypete said:
You have no idea how lucky Steve Young was when he got away from Tampa...Young with Tampa wasn't worth a hoot....never would have won half the games and dare say...a superbowl with him there in Tampa.

The vast difference is Steve Young was barely 6 ft...and didn't weigh much more than 200 lbs....Vince is 6'5" 235 and will only get bigger and stronger in the NFL. In a foot race...Vince would beat him easily....Steve had the moves...but didn't have the speed....I remember one game where he ran for around 20 yds for a score...and barely made it to the goal line...before falling down on his face.

We'll just have to see what happens to Vince bro. I'm not going to sit here and say that he'll will be anywhere near Steve. If you want to thats fine. Just like Steve(and most every other QB) it will take the right situation for Vince to be able to succeed in the NFL.

ether79 said:
We'll just have to see what happens to Vince bro. I'm not going to sit here and say that he'll will be anywhere near Steve. If you want to thats fine. Just like Steve(and most every other QB) it will take the right situation for Vince to be able to succeed in the NFL.

I agree totally.

I use to think that Vince wouldn't be as successful as Vick because he's not as fast. Now I'm convinced he's a better runner overall...or at least, more effective as a runner. Get Vick running to his right side and he's dead in the water as far as passing the ball. Get Young running to his left and he can still pass the ball, probably in no small part because he's already working with a sidearm delivery on even his normal passes. If Vick had Vince's accuracy, there'd be no question who the most dominant QB in the league is.

As things stand I think Vick is consistently underrated because people look at his passing stats and not his running stats. Take his rushing yardage, TDs, and attempts, and count them in his passing statistics as completed passes, and his career QB rating of 88.4 compares pretty favorably to Tom Brady's career QB rating of 89.1 (with the same thing, Brady's rushing yardage and TDs added back onto his passing yardage as completions).

Vick's win/loss record as a starter is pretty impressive as well.

ckparrothead said:
I use to think that Vince wouldn't be as successful as Vick because he's not as fast. Now I'm convinced he's a better runner overall...or at least, more effective as a runner. Get Vick running to his right side and he's dead in the water as far as passing the ball. Get Young running to his left and he can still pass the ball, probably in no small part because he's already working with a sidearm delivery on even his normal passes. If Vick had Vince's accuracy, there'd be no question who the most dominant QB in the league is.

As things stand I think Vick is consistently underrated because people look at his passing stats and not his running stats. Take his rushing yardage, TDs, and attempts, and count them in his passing statistics as completed passes, and his career QB rating of 88.4 compares pretty favorably to Tom Brady's career QB rating of 89.1 (with the same thing, Brady's rushing yardage and TDs added back onto his passing yardage as completions).

Vick's win/loss record as a starter is pretty impressive as well.

Good comparison. I like Vinces win/loss record too.

I think that vince would beat steve in a foot race, but easily? SY was pretty damn fast. I would consider easily at least a step and a half in the 40, I know it is a moot point but that would suprise me.

Back
Top Bottom