Bill Walsh comments on Rose Bowl QBs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bill Walsh comments on Rose Bowl QBs

Walsh is unquestionably correct. It's all about translation to the next level and Young's game doesn't compute. Just picture him taking snaps from center or in the pure shotgun instead of a zone read. Now tell me how he kills you from either formation? He's not going to drop back and consistently churn out first downs running with his long loping stride against sophisticated and talented pro defenses. Likewise, his flawed delivery and very erratic awareness level in picking out the proper receiver or type of pass dependent on the situation don't match the pro game.

I love his ****y attitude and he's a winner but the style is wrong. Remember, he didn't even throw a TD pass against USC despite the 41 point output. Some of you will say so what that's because he ran them in, others will correctly realize you don't do that in the big league and Young will struggle to put up points with his current repertoire. I concede he has improved significantly every year so that's his chance.

Awsi Dooger said:
Walsh is unquestionably correct. It's all about translation to the next level and Young's game doesn't compute. Just picture him taking snaps from center or in the pure shotgun instead of a zone read. Now tell me how he kills you from either formation? He's not going to drop back and consistently churn out first downs running with his long loping stride against sophisticated and talented pro defenses. Likewise, his flawed delivery and very erratic awareness level in picking out the proper receiver or type of pass dependent on the situation don't match the pro game.

I love his ****y attitude and he's a winner but the style is wrong. Remember, he didn't even throw a TD pass against USC despite the 41 point output. Some of you will say so what that's because he ran them in, others will correctly realize you don't do that in the big league and Young will struggle to put up points with his current repertoire. I concede he has improved significantly every year so that's his chance.

I think you are missing the point....unlike college....Young shouldn't have to carry the NFL team he goes to....so he doesn't have to run for first downs every time....but if he has to run...he can. Young doesn't have a flawed delivery...Like Rivers...he throws 3/4 delivery....and if it was flawed as you say....he wouldn't have such a great passing completion rating...wouldn't have thrown for over 3000 yds. Concerning reading defense's...to run his plays...he HAS to read the defense's...and obviously he must be doing a darn good job at it. Throwing for 75% comp rating against a team like USC...is as good as you will ever see any college QB do in a game.

I was most surprised by this comment from Walsh: "USC and Texas are so good they probably could beat some lower-echelon NFL teams". I wonder if this is true... (interpreting "could beat" as in "would win at least 50% of the time in a head-to-head matchup with a lower-echelon NFL team)

Id take a young Steve Young over Vince anyday of the week and twice on Sundays. I think Vince has a shot at being great but any comparisions to Steve are premature at best.

Back
Top Bottom