Bills Defense Breaks Down Simple Dolphins Offense | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bills Defense Breaks Down Simple Dolphins Offense

Dolph N.Fan

Active Roster
Reaction score
Let's talk about two plays Sunday. Two awful plays that show why this offense has to be blown up. Two conservative plays that tell why this franchise hasn't won a playoff game in a decade.
Two back-to-back plays in the final minutes that explain how this regime of Jeff Ireland and Tony Sparano is really at the mercy of owner Steve Ross now.
"Why would anyone be surprised?" Buffalo cornerback Drayton Florence asked about the first play, the one where Wildcat formation was inserted on second-and-10 from the Bills' 31 with just over two minutes to play. "They were playing for a field goal. That's what they do."
It's all so Wannstedtian, this philosophy. Win with defense. Fear the quarterback. And, well, you can understand how it's come to that if you've watched Chad Henne play in 2010.
But on this climactic drive Henne looked just fine throwing it. Trailing 17-14, Henne had completed five of seven passes for 49 yards. He had driven the Dolphins from their 20 yards to within striking position.

Then, after that seventh pass, an incompletion, the Wildcat was sent in as if the coaches wanted to do this before Henne made a mistake. Again, he's provided ample examples of that. But now? Here? You take the ball from him?
"Thought that was a good play and that was it,'' Dolphins coach Tony Sparano said by way of explanation.
Let be fair. Ronnie Brown ran 6 yards for a touchdown earlier off the Wildcat. But this felt all different.
"We thought, 'playing for a field goal,' '' Bills safety George Wilson said. "And we stuffed them there."
Brown got 1 yard. So now it was third-and-9. Here came the second, even more revealing play of who the 2010 Dolphins are and exactly what has ailed them across this long, lost decade.
"We watched the Jets game this week and saw Henne was getting hit a lot and didn't look comfortable in the pocket,'' Florence said. "We knew they'd had some [problems] on the line and that Tony Sparano was a line coach.
"So we knew two things. One, Henne wouldn't be holding the ball long on most plays. And, two, if they were going to throw medium or long, they'd have maximum protection and only send two guys out."
All Sunday, that was the case, Florence and Wilson said. Easy to defend, huh?
"It's not complicated,'' Florence said. "Henne had one shot of anyone open deep all day when [Kevin] Curtis got behind us. But he missed him."
Does this help explain how this offensive problem is systemic? It's not just Henne's lack of development. It's this offensive line, too. It's seasons of issues not being addressed and polluting another season.
Now, on this third-and-9 play, Davone Bess and Brandon Marshall came to one side. Florence knew from filmwork what play was coming. This was the other part of a predictable offense.
So Florence covered Marshall over the top, just as the Bills' defense called. Henne saw he had no one to throw to.
"Remember, he doesn't want to hold onto the ball long,'' Florence said.
He checked down to Bess, who was running a route just over the line of scrimmage. Sparano said Henne made the right decision there. That sure seems a flaw in the play when your leading receiver isn't running a first-down route.
Florence slid over when he saw Henne going there and knocked down the pass.
"I would've had it, too, if my hand hadn't got caught in Bess' facemask,'' he said. "I'll take the [pass defensed], though. That worked for us."

To cap that off, Dan Carpenter missed the 48-yard field goal attempt. And that was that. The end for the playoff hopes, the 2010 season and no doubt a lot of this offense, both coaches and players.
Offensive coordinator Dan Henning is the easy target today. But don't go overboard here. Because across the way Sunday was another guy who was Dolphins offensive coordinator when he didn't have a quarterback to trust.
Chan Gailey does now as Buffalo coach. Ryan Fitzpatrick made the kind of throws to again suggest he could be a franchise quarterback. That shows why the Bills have won four of their last six and have hope riding into 2011.
The Dolphins? What did they accomplish this season? Cameron Wake became a star. Cornerbacks Vontae Davis and Sean Smith progressed. But did anyone on offense take a step forward?
Two games to go. Nothing to play for. We've been here before over this past decade. But now even Buffalo looks to have a better tomorrow.

Just like the Browns game when their players crowded the line of scrimmage cause they know Henne throws a lot of low balls and rarely pump fakes. No surprise that the game clinching play was a Henne int via a tipped pass at the LoS. If Henne and this lame offense returns next year I just might take a break from being a Dolphins fan (which is sad since i rooted for Miami through all this failure up til now) because this offense hurts my eyes and I can't take it anymore.

Two conservative plays that tell why this franchise hasn't won a playoff game in a decade.
Whoever wrote this is flawed from the start.

We haven't had the same owner, coach, OC, DC, QB or players for a decade. You can't compare the 2000 Dolphins with the 2010 Dolphins.

All they have in common is a name and where they play, the rest of the pieces are completely different even if the results are the same.

It's bad journalism.

the offense is so predictable that other team's just think the dolphins offense is a joke - those quotes from the bills defense are just salt in the wound

It's silly to say that Buffalo looks to have a better tomorrow, but I'm glad our offense has performed woefully enough to cause change.

Whoever wrote this is flawed from the start.

We haven't had the same owner, coach, OC, DC, QB or players for a decade. You can't compare the 2000 Dolphins with the 2010 Dolphins.

All they have in common is a name and where they play, the rest of the pieces are completely different even if the results are the same.

It's bad journalism.
Theyre all the same. Do tell me whats the difference between now and the Wanny era.

Theyre all the same. Do tell me whats the difference between now and the Wanny era
I see the OP article has been edited so my previous comment doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense anymore.

I will say one thing, and this could be very indicative of your Conservative Offense.

I have watched the Bills every game this year. The biggest indicative thing of this game that tells me your Offense needs a ton of help is where the Bills two Safeties lined up and how they played.

Whitner - Great tackler, not to great in coverage. (SS)
Byrd - Good tackler, Playmaker and Great in Coverage. (FS).

Now you would expect Whitner to play closer to the line and Byrd to play the deep Middle when you are going one Saftey, just like the Bills have ALL YEAR long.

Against you the roles were flipped.

There is a Reason that the Bills had their playmaking safety no more than 5 yards off the LOS. Whitner was in Pass Coverage ALOT (which has been a bad thing).

But the Bills much like all teams know that you will not push the Ball down the field, and hence put their playmaker alot closer to the LOS than he normally is.

A+ Tony Morono. A+ for no balls and being super conservative that the whole world knows whats coming.

How do Tony Defenders keep defending this moron....

Back
Top Bottom