Black QBs are underrated and underpaid | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Black QBs are underrated and underpaid

I don't think the quote "if given a chance to play in an offense set up more like philly's i would bet black QB's would be more dangerous" backs up the "it doesn't matter what race you are" comment..

I've been trying to get the point across in this thread from the beginning that the football doesn't know what race the quarterback is.. all the football knows is whether or not it's being thrown properly.

Steve McNair was a run first quarterback in college by INSTINCT, who developed very quickly into a pocket passer. But he still had the ability to scramble when he wanted to.

He overcame that instinct and learned how to control it. Scrambling ability isn't a weapon in the NFL for quarterbacks unless you learn to control it... you have to control that impulse and remain in the pocket going through your progressions.

McNair did that..

true, so the fact is, you can overcome that instinct to run first...the talent and coaching has to be there.and ill retract the " i would bet black QB's would be more dangerous" comment and say what i meant about it doesn't matter what race a qb is...

Last edited by a moderator:
true, so the fact is, you can overcome that instinct to run first...the talent and coaching has to be there.and ill retract the " i would bet black QB's would be more dangerous" comment and say what i meant about it doesn't matter what race a qb is...

Yes it can be done, but it's extremely few and far between. The fact is, run first quarterbacks never get rid of that instinct and impulse to run when a play breaks down... no amount of coaching can "get rid of it".. it will ALWAYS be there.

What you have to learn to do is control it... and learn how to use it to your advantage, rather than RELY on it.

I coached quarterbacks for many years in the late 80's and early part of the 90's... I know what it's like to work with "impulse" athletes trying to play the quarterback position, and natural throwers of the football. I learned more about quarterbacks than they probably ever learned from me...

We used to take huge rubber bands attached to a golf cart and wrap them around the QB's waist, giving him 4 feet of slack in four different directions. We did that to MAKE him stay in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield while facing a pass rush (red jersey so they couldn't hit him)..

Repetitions followed by repetitions and you could slowly see them develope...

..but when real bullets were flying... forget about it. That guy is taking off...

Yes it can be done, but it's extremely few and far between. The fact is, run first quarterbacks never get rid of that instinct and impulse to run when a play breaks down... no amount of coaching can "get rid of it".. it will ALWAYS be there.

What you have to learn to do is control it... and learn how to use it to your advantage, rather than RELY on it.

I coached quarterbacks for many years in the late 80's and early part of the 90's... I know what it's like to work with "impulse" athletes trying to play the quarterback position, and natural throwers of the football. I learned more about quarterbacks than they probably ever learned from me...

We used to take huge rubber bands attached to a golf cart and wrap them around the QB's waist, giving him 4 feet of slack in four different directions. We did that to MAKE him stay in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield while facing a pass rush (red jersey so they couldn't hit him)..

Repetitions followed by repetitions and you could slowly see them develope...

..but when real bullets were flying... forget about it. That guy is taking off...

point taken.

id love to get the percentages of white qb's and black qb's that are good.until then your analysis looks like bs.and its really hard to have a REALLY good qb.i sure wouldnt mind having michael vick as qb as opposed to chad henne...please break this down for me.

Ive already stated Vick is a great QB this season. Damn straight Id like to have him on our team right about now.

Back
Top Bottom