Bob Sanders at Safety? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bob Sanders at Safety?

"... started just one game this season and a total of nine games in the past three seasons."

"... lagging injuries to his ankle, knee, arm and his torn biceps tendon which forced him on to the IR this past season"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-release-two-time-pro-bowl-safety-bob-sanders

Unless it were an incentive-laden deal w/ low base salary, I'd stay away from this type of player.

Somebody is going to pay him, just not Miami IMO.

A. He makes too much money
B. His size was perfect for the Colts defense. In our defense, he's too small.
C. He can never stay on the field due to injuries.
D. We have a Pro Bowl safety in Bell on the roster, we have a young safety in Clemons who had a solid season, and Reshad Jones is a young up and comer that didn't look overwhelmed when given a shot.

How could we not be interested? I dunno. Maybe the fact that Sanders has only played more than 6 games in a season twice in his career?

Having a 33% chance at having a pro bowl safety for 14+ games is far superior than keeping a roster spot for the Roberto Wallaces and Marlon Moores of the world. Call me crazy

And it's not like injuries are some sort of exact science in the NFL. Many players get hurt for a few years in a row and then are fine the rest of their career.

This is a pro bowler in the middle of his career that doesn't even cost a draft pick. You take the chance. Nobody is saying there isn't a risk, I'm just saying the risk is worth the possible reward.

This is what many NFL employees and you seemingly don't understand. Life is on the wire, you need to constantly take chances to get a championship team. What's the worst that happens? He gets hurt again and we cut him the next offseason. What's the best that can happen? We get a pro bowl player for free.

YOU TAKE THE CHANCE.

A. He makes too much money
B. His size was perfect for the Colts defense. In our defense, he's too small.
C. He can never stay on the field due to injuries.
D. We have a Pro Bowl safety in Bell on the roster, we have a young safety in Clemons who had a solid season, and Reshad Jones is a young up and comer that didn't look overwhelmed when given a shot.

Injury issue is huge, but why is he just too small to play for the Dolphins?

He has talent for sure but has only played in only 9 games in the past 3 seasons. I would only offer him the vet minimum and cut him as soon as he gets injured again,

He just isn't durable enough to get much consideration. He will be luck to get more than the vet minium or an incentive heavy contract from any team.

After Smiley and Grove, this sounds like exactly the type of FA our front office would pursue.

Having a 33% chance at having a pro bowl safety for 14+ games is far superior than keeping a roster spot for the Roberto Wallaces and Marlon Moores of the world. Call me crazy

And it's not like injuries are some sort of exact science in the NFL. Many players get hurt for a few years in a row and then are fine the rest of their career.

This is a pro bowler in the middle of his career that doesn't even cost a draft pick. You take the chance. Nobody is saying there isn't a risk, I'm just saying the risk is worth the possible reward.

This is what many NFL employees and you seemingly don't understand. Life is on the wire, you need to constantly take chances to get a championship team. What's the worst that happens? He gets hurt again and we cut him the next offseason. What's the best that can happen? We get a pro bowl player for free.

YOU TAKE THE CHANCE.

No, no you don't. He's not coming here for the vet min, which is all I would give for the most injury prone player I've ever seen.

Bob Sanders: Heart of Lion...Body of Glass, just not big enough to take the punishment that he himself dishes out.

:bobdole:

Why do we have to have a thread of every cast off in the NFL, especially at secondary where were have it young with incredible potential.

Colts released him Friday:

http://espn.go.com/blog/AFCSouth/post/_/id/21526/rest-of-division-should-ponder-bob-sanders

Seems ridiculous to me. How could we not be interested?

Interested? Possibly! Will we seriously consider bringing him in? I doubt it.

After getting burnt by the oft injured Jake Grove and Justin Smiley, neither of whom played more than five games in 2010, I don't think Ireland wants to take that chance again on a player with an extensive history of injuries as Bob Sanders.

:bobdole:

Why do we have to have a thread of every cast off in the NFL, especially at secondary where were have it young with incredible potential.

While I agree with what you are saying, my question to you then is WHAT do people post then on the message board?

I have come across some really ridiculous threads on this board but this isn't one I'd say the same thing about. We are talking about a former Pro Bowl type player. The obvious issues are he is made out of glass. But I'd rather see the Dolphins kick the tires and see what's there then stay pat and do nothing while other teams take chances on players (Holmes) and seeing it pay off.

I'm much more interested to see if we bring in O.J, we were obviously interested in him last off-season so it bares to watch.

Back
Top Bottom