Bob Sanders at Safety? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bob Sanders at Safety?

Having a 33% chance at having a pro bowl safety for 14+ games is far superior than keeping a roster spot for the Roberto Wallaces and Marlon Moores of the world. Call me crazy

And it's not like injuries are some sort of exact science in the NFL. Many players get hurt for a few years in a row and then are fine the rest of their career.

This is a pro bowler in the middle of his career that doesn't even cost a draft pick. You take the chance. Nobody is saying there isn't a risk, I'm just saying the risk is worth the possible reward.

This is what many NFL employees and you seemingly don't understand. Life is on the wire, you need to constantly take chances to get a championship team. What's the worst that happens? He gets hurt again and we cut him the next offseason. What's the best that can happen? We get a pro bowl player for free.

YOU TAKE THE CHANCE.

For free? Trust me, the money that Sanders is going to want is not even close to free money. So that is money againt the cap for a guy who can't even stay on the field. Including the playoffs this guys has played in only 9 games out of the 50+ the Colts have played.

Secondly, we have a few up and comming safeties on this team already and it would be a disservice to them to bring in Sanders to take away any potential extra reps they would get. Our secondary played well last season and will only continue to get better . . . Bowles wants a HC gig, he is going to have these guys playing big time ball this season.

Thirdly, it is not like we are lighting the world on fire with the group we have at WR, we have 2 UDFA's that we are hoping to develop into potential starters one day, and that got some much needed experience last year and we have no idea how much improvement we can expect to see from either one of those guys . . . atleast they were on the field and were able to get in the game more than Sanders has been able to do. Not to mention those guys are DIRT cheap to keep on the roster and the money saved by not signing a Sanders will help us in retaining the Soliai's, Langfords, Wakes, Jake Long's in the future.

While I agree with what you are saying, my question to you then is WHAT do people post then on the message board?

I have come across some really ridiculous threads on this board but this isn't one I'd say the same thing about. We are talking about a former Pro Bowl type player. The obvious issues are he is made out of glass. But I'd rather see the Dolphins kick the tires and see what's there then stay pat and do nothing while other teams take chances on players (Holmes) and seeing it pay off.

I'm much more interested to see if we bring in O.J, we were obviously interested in him last off-season so it bares to watch.
The difference is Santonio Holmes was traded for, does not have an extensive history of injuries and is still on his rookie contract.

Bob Sanders for all his abilities will turn 30 next week and has missed more games than he has played during his seven year career.

I wouldn't sign Sanders he just can't stay on the field and would take up a roster spot.

Jones > Bell imo. Bell certainly didnt play like a "pro bowler" this season.

I really like Sanders but he is way too injury prone. I won't bash you for the idea because when he is healthy he is a great safety but that is a big IF for him. We have a pro bowl safety in Bell and a promising couple of young guys in Clemons and Jones. If Miami took a chance on him for the right price it would not upset but I really dont see it happening.

Back
Top Bottom