Boomer says... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boomer says...

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
''Don't be surprised if we draft Nat Dorsey to play LT, move Wade Smith to RT until MCIntosh is ready and then play Wade at LG and Jeno at RG, where he played at Carolina and Auburn, and revert back to our old pulling days before Perry and Nails became tractors. This will be in a trade down. If we stay where we are, I get a strong suspicion that Jon Vilma will be the selection, if there. Our problem comes if we can't trade down and if Evans and Vilma and Andrews are gone because then we almost have to reach for Carey or Smiley.''

I, as do many of you respect and value Boomer's opinions.

Interesting, I like Vilma, but I think he may be gone before our pick

Thoughts...

Last edited by a moderator:
Respectfully disagree with Boomer - Wade Smith will not move.

Here is my long winded post from another post as to why.

Jorser said:
Boomer, I read and respect your opinion on our Fins as I am sure most on this board do. However, I do not subscribe to your latest theory. #1, as others have mentioned in reply, no way do we start a rookie at LT and go through another season of a rookie learning curve and face the potential critical errors that happened last year all over again. All rookie lineman struggle at one time or another in their first year, they just take time to develop. With 4/5ths of the line replaced, to suggest moving the only player where we have some stability doesn’t make sense. Not to mention, the setback in Wade Smith’s development and having to learn a new position in the pro’s. The best scenario for Smith is to let him continue to improve and grow in to his permanent starting LT spot. Damion McIntosh was signed as the RT of the future. Whether it is now or next year, he will line up and start at RT, in all likelihood. He was a very solid player for the Chargers and there is no reason to think that he won’t recover from his injury and be able to contribute in the future. Sure we signed him to a low risk contract, but they also committed to him for 6 years. If he was that great of a risk why didn’t they just sign him for a year or two??? Yes he played LT, but the move from LT to RT shouldn’t be one that he can’t handle. Either way, there is not this dire need at tackle. We will probably have 4 solid players at tackle on opening day, more than in recent memory, with 1 on PUP. Smith, St. Clair, S. Page, and Jerman (G/T). When McIntosh returns, Jerman likely gets the ax. To draft a tackle with a #1,2, or 3 would be a waste of a high selection since it appears there is no need for a starter now or anywhere down the road since McIntosh and Smith are both very young and the probable bookends of the future. I believe the need on the line is at LG. There is no player, other than Billy Yates (who will not likely make the final roster), that can play LG after Jeno James. Whitley, Jerman, Shawn Andrews, and Vernon Carey are all earth moving power guys best suited to RG or RT. To draft Andrews or Carey means that they are undeniably giving up on Taylor Whitley, who now has had that year of development that most lineman need. He may or may not pan out, but at least draft a guy that has added value to the roster if in fact Whitley does start. I do agree with one aspect of what you are suggesting and that brings me to my take on this. My opinion is that the player they will draft will be a left side guy who can come in and compete with Whitley, St. Clair, Jerman, and possibly Soloman Page for the RG job. If the draft choice does not start, he will then back up at LG. Or as you have suggested, he could win the job outright at LG if they move Jeno James to RG, which I think could be great and may be part of the plan. This would then eventually allow St. Clair to be the 6th man and give them excellent depth. I think that they will look very hard at Justin Smiley, Chris Snee, and Sean Locklear. Snee would also give them another swing guy that could back up at center, which is what Yates does also. This also gives them another center if St. Clair is starting at RT, which he may be for awhile. I believe that Yates is the guy they are going to draft to replace. I think that they will try to get in to the second round to take the best available of LG prospect and take a WR with their own #1 at 20 or someone else’s, like NE, at the end of round 1. I like the idea of NE’s 32nd and 63rd picks, which would facilitate my scenario with excellent value to suit their needs. They can accomplish LG and WR with those picks. Smiley or Snee at the end of one and any number of choices at WR at the end of round two.

I chose to ignore the bit in Boomer's post about Dorsey. I wasn't just starting another thread from that thread.

I was highlighting the point about Boomer thinking that we may choose to draft Vilma.

finsnchips said:
I chose to ignore the bit in Boomer's post about Dorsey. I wasn't just starting another thread from that thread.

I was highlighting the point about Boomer thinking that we may choose to draft Vilma.

I think we have a fair need at LB. We really have little depth. Moore and Jenkins are both rookies really. Jenkins has very little experience at LB. There is NO depth behind Zach and if he or any of the other starters were to be injured, we would be in trouble, big trouble currently. That being said I think there would be a riot amongst the casual fan who may not be as passionate or educated on the team as we here may be, to see the team draft a LB high, 2 yrs in a row, with the so called bigger 'needs' on offense. In addition, while we can use another young LB, I think they need to add a veteran here as well, we will have plenty of young guys, only Seau is nearing the end of the line. I think they may select a LB in the middle rounds and hopefully pick up a veteran between now and July. Don't know how they will be able to carry 7 though, as it will make for tough cuts elsewhere. May need to only go with 6 which could rule out a rookie altogether at LB, if you subscribe to the need for a veteran addition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom