Boston and the Draft... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boston and the Draft...

dolfan4good

Section 451 Row 10 Seats 14-15
Reaction score
For those of you who are drafniks... How do you think the signing of Boston would impact our draft? I would think that we trade down to pick up a #2, then use the #1 for say a Vernon carey and the #2 for a third receiver. However, I'm not sure if Carey would be there later in the 1st round. What do you guys thnk?

That's a possibility(trading down). I want to wait and see if the Boston deal officially gets done before making predictions on the draft.

Isn't that the best part of this board.. Attempting to see the future and discussing it? Of course we have to wait, just like we have to wait and see what happens with Ogun.

It will depend on a lot of things. First, who's available when we draft. If Reggie Williams is available then I say we grab him even if Boston is on board. If we sign Boston and a right guard and tackle before the draft then I'd be in favor of trading down. The Ogunleye situation is a big factor as well. There are too many things to be sorted out for us to know what's going to happen in the draft right now.

Trade for boston (3rd rounder)...

Draft QB Rivers at 20 overall....

(If we lose O-Gun) Use other 1st rounder on Best WR or OL available

if we lose OGUN, get another 1st rounder, and able to get rivers at 20. I say best OL or Defensive line or linebacker

Providing we get a first for Ogun and give up a 3rd for Boston:
A WR and an Olineman would be the natural selections with our 1s.

Now if Rivers fell to us then I would not be against getting him.

I can see drafting Rivers if he fell to us but we did gave up a 2nd for AJ, so he better work out.

4th round and up = Oline and D depth

Chargers have the first pick in the draft. They would never trade their first pick in that way.

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
Chargers have the first pick in the draft. They would never trade their first pick in that way.

I meant if we get a 1st rounder for Ogun from another team, not

from the Chargers.

If a team was so desperate for a DE that they would offer a 1st, I would think that they would have done so already. I am not confident about getting that scenario. If we get Boston we should go QB or OL in the first round.

Originally posted by fairbanksb
If a team was so desperate for a DE that they would offer a 1st, I would think that they would have done so already.

I agree that the possiblity of getting a 1 for OGun is looking bleaker and bleaker ( let alone a 1st and a 3rd!). Philly and Seattle already got their guys.

Hope something happens.

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE
Trade for boston (3rd rounder)...

Draft QB Rivers at 20 overall....

(If we lose O-Gun) Use other 1st rounder on Best WR or OL available
Exactly

The cool thing about if you get a David Boston is that it just allows you to pick up the best player available no matter what the position (except CB, RB, and TE of course).

You take a guy in the 1st round you're hoping he turns out to be a star and there's a fair chance he will be. Are there really many positions on this team we could not use a future star in? We've got tons of solid positions, but even with Feeley and Fiedler we could use a guy we know will be a star at QB like Rivers. Even with Boston and Chambers we could use a younger guy to groom because Chambers will be entering contract year and Boston is always a bigtime question mark. Even with McIntosh and Smith at tackle if Andrews fell to us we could use a tackle there let me tell you because I'm not convinced we've got a set of future pro bowl bookends (if McIntosh manages to stay healthy). Ok I dont like the idea of using a 1st on a guard, sorry I just think spending as much money as we did on James and then using a 1st for the guard position is a misallocation of funds. Has Seth McKinney blown us away yet? Nope...so we could use a Jake Grove. There's a well-publicized question mark over the Ogunleye issue so we could even use a DE. We've got three solid gap fillers at DT, but do we have that wrecking ball force to be reckoned with that you'd like there? Nope. Ok I doubt there will be any safeties worth drafting in round 1 at our spot cuz Taylor will be gone...and now we've got 3 solid starting (highly paid) CBs so using a 1st round pick there wouldn't make sense. And we may be backed out the door at LBer, and people may STILL be upset about Eddie Moore, but Zach gets older (and more mediocre) every year, Morlon Greenwood is nothing but solid at best, Junior will retire in a year, Jenkins is raw as a fresh cut steak, and Moore has yet to show us that he could become the Derrick Brooks type LBer we envisioned...so could we use a Jonathon Vilma or DJ Williams if we flat out thought they were THAT good? We sure as heck could.

All of this would be moot though if we stepped into the draft with a WR situation looking like it currently is...cuz then thats a big NEED and we'd be pressured unbelievably to take the best WR in the draft and not the best player in the draft. In the first round I still feel that is a mistake.

Guys, we're not getting Rivers. I told you that from day one.

If we get Boston then our pick wil most likely get Andrews or Carey. I'm not for trading down to get Carey because olineman usually don't fall, they go higher than usual. Like last year with Jeff Faine & George Foster.

Back
Top Bottom