Boston's assets | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Boston's assets

Originally posted by Muck
What I'd love seeing is he and Chambers going against Surtain and Madison in 11-on-11s come August. :eek:

Now that's something to look forward too!

Originally posted by relive1972
Boston will not all of a sudden make Miami one of the top passing teams in the league. Ricky is still the franchise. The addition of Boston would be more to keep defenses from stacking the line, giving Ricky more room to run. Chambers and Boston will get opportunities and yardage, but they won't be the focal point of the offense. We will still be in the lower portion of the league in pass attempts because we will still be playing Wanny ball. Run Ricky run. Nothing wrong with that as long as it works.

I agree, but for a different reason. Teams are still going to stack against us until we prove we can get the ball deep. Doesn't matter if Boston is open, if we can't get the ball to him. How many times was Chambers or McKnight open deep when the Fiedler flutterball was short or even out of bounds?

A successful passing game needs both a receiver and a QB.

Better hope that Spielman's evaluation of Feeley is accurate.

Yeah, having Boston changes a LOT for how the opposing D handles the Phins offense. Makes it much harder to stack the line when you don't want to leave Boston OR Chambers one-on-one. :D Yet, if you leave the safeties back to cover, and the O-line plays even average, then Ricky will grind it at you all day long. It becomes pick-your-poison at that point. Get run on all day, or give up the big pass plays?

That said, I expect to see teams still stacking the line to stop Ricky early in the year. If I was coaching against Miami, I'd take my chances on the running downs and never double BOTH Chambers and Boston.

Feeley or Fiedler (ha!) has to PROVE they can beat the one-on-one match-ups on Boston or Chambers before I will respect the Phins passing game. Until then, stopping Ricky is job #1.

I am hoping Feeley can make it happen. I seriously doubt Jay can do it consistently. Maybe an occasional game like he had versus the Cowboys. We need that every week though, or Ricky will still face 8-9 man fronts.

After edit: You beat me to it, Phinkev! :D

Another of Boston's assets will be his blocking ability. Don't underestimate the importance of wide receiver blocking. A block on a CB or LB can mean the difference between a 2 yard gain and a 40 yard gain. His size and strength makes would be a huge asset in that area.

As a receiver, if he gets the right opportunity, I think he could be as good as TO. I'm hoping Feeley is more consistently accurate than Jay.

The fact is, we can't afford more missed throws to wide open WR's downfield.

Question is, who do you double?? Both guys have blazing speed. Both are big guys.

Both are big guys? Do you mean Boston & Chambers?

Chambers is small...he's 5'10'' or 5'11'' depending on his shoes.

He plays bigger than he is, but he's definitely not a big guy.

Boston is actually faster than TO and has much better hands than TO. He doesn't go all out on every play like TO though.

There were HUGE problems with our offense, however, even with our OL only as talented as last year, we will be much better as long as we have Boston. Here's why:

Last year we had three main problems, offensively.

The first was the coaching. According to numerous outside reports (including Cris Carter) there were sloppy practices, and dropped balls. Plus the coaching staff seemed unable to translate practices that did go well onto the field. That has been solved by the coaches they brought in. Jerry Sullivan is a much better receivers coach, Marc Trestman is a passing game guru, and Joel Collier will have the stones to do whatever it takes.

The second was the WR's. They were unable (except for CC) to catch CONSISTENTLY well. Feidler would finally throw a catchable ball and it would inevitably be dropped. Again, Boston and Chambers, combined with Jerry Sullivan, should alleviate this problem.

The third was the QB. First of all, Jay Feidler is a great man. He has awesome intelligence, and is extremely tough (remember that Jets CB he knocked out of the game for like 8 weeks?), but he is not a good sustained quarterback. He can get us by, but he is too inconsistent. All too often, his sideline throws were weak, and all too often, his throws to receivers on fly patterns dropped to the turf. Then suddenly he would have a string of seven or eight horrible incompletions. Two things have changed that bring me hope. First of all we hired Marc Trestman. He will improve Jay's fundamentals if he has to go in. I think that Jay's throwing mechanics got sloppy. But, more importantly, there is a young qb studying the playbook right now (except when he is fending off people asking his girlfriend out :p) that can lead us to the promised land. Trestman has worked with him before. With the receivers corrected, now the throw AND catch will be improved.

Which brings us to Ricky. Our OL was horrible at times last year, but let's face it. The real problem was our passing game. We were basically facing the 4-6 every week, as both safeties would just wait about 8 yards off the ball. BUT, if they are forced to cover decent receivers (other than CC), then this little plan might just work--even with an average OL.

Now, get Boston already!!!!

The most important move and the move that will prove to be the most beneficial move was getting AJ Feeley to be the starting quarterback. Had Miami kept things the same at QB, getting David Boston wouldn't mean squat.

Originally posted by relive1972
Boston will not all of a sudden make Miami one of the top passing teams in the league. Ricky is still the franchise. The addition of Boston would be more to keep defenses from stacking the line, giving Ricky more room to run. Chambers and Boston will get opportunities and yardage, but they won't be the focal point of the offense. We will still be in the lower portion of the league in pass attempts because we will still be playing Wanny ball. Run Ricky run. Nothing wrong with that as long as it works.

That my friend, was the formula for a "Perfect" season. It's nice to be able to open the game up, get your leed, then turn the game over to the your ball control offense and run them out of time. :evil:

What I'd love seeing is he and Chambers going against Surtain and Madison in 11-on-11s come August. :eek:
Oh hell yes. I'll be all geeked up for that one. I'll DEFINITELY be out there with my panama hat, dolphins t-shirt, shorts, sandals, and water. :)

Back
Top Bottom