Branch to Jets or Seahawks??? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Branch to Jets or Seahawks???

lets hope it's Seattle. Coles & Branch could mean trouble if they ever land a real QB. :boohoo:

I wouldn't be willing to give up a 1st rounder for Branch....AT most a 2nd and 5th

JAGFISH said:
Is this the same injury from last year?

Yes, apparently. But info was from a fantasy football sight so take with a grain of salt.

"Seahawks wide receiver Darrell Jackson is not expected to be on the field before the third exhibition game because of a knee injury. Jackson missed 10 games last season because of a first surgery on the knee, then returned and played as the Seahawks advanced to the Super Bowl, but needed a second surgery after that game."

http://www.fanball.com/fb/playerNewsBreakers.cfm?pid=1314

Even if 2 different knees that's still 2 surguries in less than a year and he wasn't able to parcipitate in any preseason action.

JAGFISH said:
Marshall Faulk didn't even net a 1st rd pick.

Thats bc Indy was stupid. For about 3 years he was just a monster.

silverloop13 said:
Thats bc Indy was stupid. For about 3 years he was just a monster.

Agreed, but just proves the point that Branch should not even come close to netting 2 #1 picks.

BleedinGreenNC said:
He's not going to the Jet's, NE wants 2 first round picks for him.... That's crazy.

Two first rounders? Who has two first rounders (Besides the Donkeys after they trade this years flavor of the month Runningback)

I would'nt even give a second and a fifth. Maybe a third and a fifth....maybe

I posted this in the other forum, but I figured I'd post it here too.

The Patriots are screwed.. this whole plan blew up in their face.

The whole reason they gave Branch permission to seek a trade was because they thought his demands were outrageous. They felt that he wouldn't have been able to get the type of money he was asking for on the open market. And if this happened, maybe he would lower his demands and sign the contract that the Patriots have had on the table during this entire ordeal.

The problem is, the Patriots apparently undervalued Branch. They didn't read the market right because there were teams out there willing to give him the money that he was seeking.

Now most people are going to turn around and say, "so what, these teams will never meet the Patriots demand for compensation." This is probably pretty accurate, however this is significant news because it basically eliminates any opportunity the Patriots might have had to sign Branch on their terms, he isn't going to come crawling back to the Patriots offer like that organization had hoped he would.

This entire plan backfired on the Patriots and IF he ever plays for them again, it will be for the 6 games required to become a Free Agent at the end of the season, IMO.

FaninPatsyLand said:
I posted this in the other forum, but I figured I'd post it here too.

The Patriots are screwed.. this whole plan blew up in their face.

The whole reason they gave Branch permission to seek a trade was because they thought his demands were outrageous. They felt that he wouldn't have been able to get the type of money he was asking for on the open market. And if this happened, maybe he would lower his demands and sign the contract that the Patriots have had on the table during this entire ordeal.

The problem is, the Patriots apparently undervalued Branch. They didn't read the market right because there were teams out there willing to give him the money that he was seeking.

Now most people are going to turn around and say, "so what, these teams will never meet the Patriots demand for compensation." This is probably pretty accurate, however this is significant news because it basically eliminates any opportunity the Patriots might have had to sign Branch on their terms, he isn't going to come crawling back to the Patriots offer like that organization had hoped he would.

This entire plan backfired on the Patriots and IF he ever plays for them again, it will be for the 6 games required to become a Free Agent at the end of the season, IMO.

Which is great news, cause now they have to overpay a fair to midland WR who is gonna KILL their cap- Me likes the way this is turning.....

azfinfanmang said:
Which is great news, cause now they have to overpay a fair to midland WR who is gonna KILL their cap- Me likes the way this is turning.....

This is probably the worst case scenario for the Patriots in regards to the Branch situation.

Not only was Branch and his agent able to find a team willing to cough up that kind of dough for him in a weeks time, they were able to find TWO teams.

What's the Patriots next move here? You know they aren't going to just suck it up and pay Branch what he wants, and you better believe he's not gonna sign for any less. They could franchise him at the end of the year, but now your committing an average of top 5 money at WR to a guy who isn't even a top 10 WR. If they don't franchise him, they'll let him walk and won't get anything for him except a compensatory pick (highest awarded is a 3rd rounder).

I'm starting to think the Pats best move here is to take what they can get in draft picks now, and move on.

FaninPatsyLand said:
This is probably the worst case scenario for the Patriots in regards to the Branch situation.

Not only was Branch and his agent able to find a team willing to cough up that kind of dough for him in a weeks time, they were able to find TWO teams.

What's the Patriots next move here? You know they aren't going to just suck it up and pay Branch what he wants, and you better believe he's not gonna sign for any less. They could franchise him at the end of the year, but now your committing an average of top 5 money at WR to a guy who isn't even a top 10 WR. If they don't franchise him, they'll let him walk and won't get anything for him except a compensatory pick (highest awarded is a 3rd rounder).

I'm starting to think the Pats best move here is to take what they can get in draft picks now, and move on.

I am still very surprised that anybody is gonna give up a 1st for him.:shakeno:. Of course he is their best WR, but I dont think that is saying that much. Their (the Patsies) success has been due to many parts that are well above average, but none that are shining stars.

Pats offered 3yr/19M & 5yr/31M. Jets & hawks offered 6yr/36M. All those are for about 6M/yr.

Branch was supposedly looking for 8-9M/yr but his agent never presented any type of counteroffer from day one.

Check out this article. I love the agents take on Branchs rookie deal. I guess the Pats must have called Branch and his agent the day he was drafted and told him they were signing him for 4yrs. They must have, since rookie minicamp was held immediately after the draft:

http://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/56907/detail.html

"The Patriots have made him two contract extension offers -- one for five years and one for three years. The three-year offer made in May was to pay Branch a $4 million bonus this season, a $4 million guaranteed option bonus next September and salaries of $1.4, $4.3 and $4.75 million. That averages out to more than $6 million per year over the life of the deal and makes Branch a free agent at the prime earning age of 29.

But Chayut and Branch believe Branch should have already had his freedom. Chayut alleges the team originally was going to give Branch a four-year deal in 2002 but decided it wanted him on a five-year deal after watching him work out at the rookie minicamp. As a result of that, Chayut divides all extension offers the Patriots make to Branch by an additional year. So he views the three-year extension as a four-year offer and feels the offer is actually for less than $5 million per year".

Back
Top Bottom