Brent Smith Tears ACL in Knee...Out For Year | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brent Smith Tears ACL in Knee...Out For Year

Originally posted by ckparrothead
I played offensive line all through high school. If you saw me you'd know why.

yeah but you must have had a 1.9 average in school. just kidding!!! i love ya man.

Originally posted by Dajesus
CK I would rather see my girlfreind play RT than John Fina.

how bout spencer falou?? :cry:

CK is correct, Smith was given the starting LG job heading into camp in 98 I think but sprained his foot the 1st day and missing a month. Dixon moved up from 2nd string and never gave the spot back. I agree that some players are more suseptible to injuries than others, examples are John Bosa, Brent, Yatil. Even what's is face the #1 pick DT we signed as a FA. How about TRev Albert. Then you see guys like Curtis Martin and Bruce Matthews and they're freaks.

[intro]Offensive tackle Brent Smith, who missed last season with a left knee injury, injured his right knee in the first quarter and it appears it might be season-ending. Smith got injured playing for tackle Todd Wade, who injured his right ankle a few plays earlier.

Both players left the field on a cart. With tackle Marcus Spriggs missing the game because of back spasms, the Dolphins used rookie Greg Jerman and veteran Leon Searcy, signed as a guard, at right tackle.[/intro]

That's for the news page....

Alright. I think injuries are a little of both. Chance and how good of shape you are in but lets face it, everyone can be in great shape but injuries happen to some and never happen to others. Now, I have been extremely active my entire life but i have never pulled or broke ONE THING IN MY BODY. I play high school football and have played numerous other sports FOR YEARS. It isn't that I don't try and I don't consider myself in great physical shape, I just don't get hurt often.

As for Brent Smith, I say cut him. He now has had season-ending injuries on both knees and that is not a good sign. Tearing your ACL up in one knee is ok (is that what he did last year too) because you can somewhat favor one knee when you play. You may not be quite as good but you get my point. When you tear both ACL's, you can't favor any knee and something is bound to happen again. Especially if you are playing o-line. It's a little more avoidable at other positions. Anyone got the update on Todd Wade? Last night he said he could play again if it was a regular season game so I suspect that he will be our RT on Sept. 8.

Smith should most definitely be cut...but I doubt Wayne Huizenga will allow them to do it. He'll prob go on IR. But ifwe did cut him it would save us a nice chunk off cap.

Originally posted by Phinstd
Smith should most definitely be cut...but I doubt Wayne Huizenga will allow them to do it. He'll prob go on IR. But ifwe did cut him it would save us a nice chunk off cap.

unless of course there is an injury settlement which one third of it counts against the cap i think. somethin like that.:mad:

Originally posted by chambers84
you guys can't argue with CK, it's a lost cause.

That's true... his facts are usually pretty good... but he's not the most open minded Dolphan...

Not knockin ya CK... you stick to your guns... that's all! ;)

PhinKev...what do you suggest we do? Place a guy on IR who counts 1.5 mil against the cap? He will prob never play again and may not have even made the team as it was.

Give him an injury settlement, which I think ALL of it counts against the cap. Smith can't be on this team with a 1.5 mil cap hit and his final year. No way.

B. Smith never impressed me to begin with. It's a shame, but he wasn't all that good to begin with.....

G. Jerman filled in for T. Wade much better than I expected, and we still have M. Spriggs/L. Searcy as well.....

If T. Wades' injury was more serious, losing B. Smith would have hurt, but since Wade is alright, it's not really that big of a loss....

PHINZ RULE!!!!

Originally posted by Phinstd
PhinKev...what do you suggest we do?

Someone can probably help me on this, but I don't think you can cut a guy who was injured. Unless he's really hurting us on the cap, I think you keep him around. LT's are tough to find (Falou?) and it would be the decent thing to do.

I feel bad for Smith. No one wants to get injured. He worked hard to come back and it has to be really crushing for the guy. I'm not sure his career is over, but he must be feeling awful right now.

I hope he does come back and play.

You can't cut a guy, no. What you do is reach an injury settlement with them. That money then counts aginst cap.

I hope he plays again too. But not at the expense of our cap this year. We can't just pay the guy his money.(He's a FA after this year!) He will do nothing to help us in his final year of contract. We wouldn't be keeping him around as we'd have to re-sign him after the year and every team has free reign to sign him too.

If he had 4 more yrs and cheap cap numbers I'd say keep him, but he's a FA after this year and makes to much money for a guy who's guarnateed to do nothing at all this year.

Do you want us to pay him this year and then have him become a FA after the year?

Back
Top Bottom