Brian Baldinger Had Good Things To Say About Rosen's Performance Vs. Bucs | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brian Baldinger Had Good Things To Say About Rosen's Performance Vs. Bucs

If Rosen is the guy, and if Flores is the guy...then we will not be in a position to draft one of the top 3 QBs unless we use a ton of resources we collected.

That means we will be looking at picking up...edge and o-line, a number 2 CB...well we have a lot of holes.

No i completely agree but that’s assuming they aren’t willing to trade up which goes against all evidence thus far.

At what point does Rosen show it? Do you know it when you see it? Is there a statistical KPI?

I thought he played pretty well. If we're going to blame him for drops, perfect coverage, pressure and, ultimately, points scored, then we're going into that irrational territory where a QB is supposed to do some kind of supernatural, magic, godly thing to win games (and RINGZ!) no matter what else is happening on the field. Say no to that.

No i completely agree but that’s assuming they aren’t willing to trade up which goes against all evidence thus far.

At what point does Rosen show it? Do you know it when you see it? Is there a statistical KPI?
That is the toughest question for that scenario? It will show itself in the win loss column. we may not be the best team but if he can help us win some one score contest games with excellent football play when we need him that would be a good indicator.

Another will be the play of his teammates. A franchise QB can come in and have everyone playing at high levels. So if he instills a certain belief in the other starters you may see the offense overachieve because he plays at a high level.

There are several variables but it will be a combo of his overall week to week play and his ability to win games we shouldn't. It's a tough question to answer

That is the toughest question for that scenario? It will show itself in the win loss column. we may not be the best team but if he can help us win some one score contest games with excellent football play when we need him that would be a good indicator.

Another will be the play of his teammates. A franchise QB can come in and have everyone playing at high levels. So if he instills a certain belief in the other starters you may see the offense overachieve because he plays at a high level.

There are several variables but it will be a combo of his overall week to week play and his ability to win games we shouldn't. It's a tough question to answer

Here is the box for the 'we have the talent of a 2-14 team.' If Miami wins 5 or 6, do they credit Flores for being able to get the team to 'over-achieve,' admit the talent was much better and could hide RF and Rosen, or admit Rosen (if he wins a number of games, is better than they thought? Of course, Miami COULD be a 2-14 team, in which case is it the fault of the coaches or QBs?
Personally, W/L isn't the magic stat. I've said elsewhere, I want to judge the last 8 games. What's there? What was the progress? How many 'below average' pieces remain? As for rosen, I still think, if he plays top 3rd NFL the last 8 games, there is no '20 QB, DEPENDING on what Flo sees as the ceiling

Here is the box for the 'we have the talent of a 2-14 team.' If Miami wins 5 or 6, do they credit Flores for being able to get the team to 'over-achieve,' admit the talent was much better and could hide RF and Rosen, or admit Rosen (if he wins a number of games, is better than they thought? Of course, Miami COULD be a 2-14 team, in which case is it the fault of the coaches or QBs?
Personally, W/L isn't the magic stat. I've said elsewhere, I want to judge the last 8 games. What's there? What was the progress? How many 'below average' pieces remain? As for rosen, I still think, if he plays top 3rd NFL the last 8 games, there is no '20 QB, DEPENDING on what Flo sees as the ceiling
This makes sense. in terms of Rosen his improvement should be in the quickness of his decision making, limit in poor throws (throws such as the pick/almost pick), and confidence to lead the team. It will be interesting to see if those areas improve.

This makes sense. in terms of Rosen his improvement should be in the quickness of his decision making, limit in poor throws (throws such as the pick/almost pick), and confidence to lead the team. It will be interesting to see if those areas improve.

Key word there is "limit." No such thing as a QB who doesn't make bad throws - one reason a good completion % is 60. I agree. He has to learn there will (usually) be a next possession. Get that mental quickness. Still looks to me he's not quite where he needs to be in his reads.
I have NO doubt all those will improve with experience. The question all fans have is his ceiling. I don't think Flo has a ceiling of 'elite or gone.' Maybe top 10, top third, fans don't know his thinking. I doubt he'll conclude he has a top 10 QB, but wants to throw the dice on a top '20 QB

There's a common thread in a lot of Josh Rosen's plays. His reads and progressions are not fluid, take too much time, and he doesn't throw with anticipation. He has to see everything before he throws it. That throws the receivers off, results in more contested finishes, more drops, and more sacks. It's like dealing with a QB that has a slow release.

If you're working a curl-flat or a slant-flat read, it shouldn't be, "Read flat, not there, read slant, throw it." It's one read, not two. But that's something that is consistently happening with Josh Rosen and you can see it in his body language and the hitching of his feet in the backfield.

This includes several of the plays Baldinger tries to isolate as highlights. There's one, a 6-man rush versus max protection. I get that you've got max protect, but you've got Mark Walton in the backfield trying to block Kevin Minter on the quarterback's blind side. You can't just hang onto this ball forever. Rosen lollygags through his reads, takes 3.5 seconds before letting the ball out, and doesn't even step up in order to help his man out. That ball was begging to be strip-sacked before it even flew out to Isaiah Ford, who had a lot harder catch to make than he strictly had to, because Rosen needed to see him before he could throw it.

I mean, on that play he's got Mike Gesicki and Mark Walton as the extra protectors. Somehow, they both did an ideal job on the play. That's like winning the damn lottery.

Back
Top Bottom