Brock Berlin--Saban connection? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brock Berlin--Saban connection?

KB21 said:
Well, we have to remember that Nick recruited him in attempt to get him to attend LSU. Nick also coached against him during his first two seasons when he played at Florida. I think a lot of people are completely overblowing this signing. This guy was not signed to be the starting quarterback of the future. He's just a quarterback that Nick wants on the roster for the time being so he can see what he really has. When this guy was at Florida, he was actually going to be the starter over Rex Grossman in 2002. There wasn't a lot of difference between Brock and Rex while at Florida, and Rex became a first round pick. Nick probably remembers that Brock did complete 60% of his passes for 11 touchdowns and 1 interception for a 173.6 QB Rating as a sophomore at Florida. Basically, much better numbers than the numbers Adrian McPherson put up as a sophomore at Florida State, yet some of you wanted to take that bum in the second round.

IMO, a lot of what you saw from Brock Berlin at Miami goes to the lack of development offensive players have had there since Coker started losing Butch's recruits. Take guys like Ryan Moore and Kevin Everett for example. Both were highly, highly recruited players coming out of high school, and they flashed their ability as a freshman. They haven't improved though, and I believe it is an indictment of the offensive coaching at Miami right now.

Interesting take. I agree with you about Everett and Moore, although Moore is a mystery to me - with his physical attributes and skills, he should be All-American, coaching or no. But I follow your reasoning.

Although this is a discussion better suited to another forum, I will say that I think Coker's biggest failing is blind loyalty to his assistants. For instance, I think Dan Werner is a terrible OC, yet he seems set in that job until Coker goes.

Shame, when you think of the superior talent they're squandering.

It will be interesting to see the development of Grossman in Chicago. A healthy Rex Grossman probably represents the top end of what Brock Berlin could be.

NaboCane said:
I think the more likely scenario is that Saban watched film of Berlin at UM and saw a guy with superior leadership skills who won some huge games and brought his team from behind on his shoulders several times to win games they should have lost.

Those are called intangibles; and when you combine those qualities with good mechanics and a good arm, you have someone that good NFL coaching can work with given time.
Brilliant post...

I really like the Berlin signing and think he can develop into a serviceable backup in this league. He didn't get bad after he left Florida... as KB said, the offensive coaching at Miami is questionable atm.

I think that a year on the PS, I'd be very suprised if he made the 53 man roster, plus a year in NFLE would really help Brock. He'll get to sit down and learn the book. He is a natural leader.

thanks...

finsnchips said:
Brilliant post...

I really like the Berlin signing and think he can develop into a serviceable backup in this league. He didn't get bad after he left Florida... as KB said, the offensive coaching at Miami is questionable atm.

I think that a year on the PS, I'd be very suprised if he made the 53 man roster, plus a year in NFLE would really help Brock. He'll get to sit down and learn the book. He is a natural leader.

clear.gif

BRILLIANT!

People - Gators fans, I suspect - just need to think things through before asserting their ignorance.

I just recall Berlin spanking Gator butt to a deep shade of burgundy three times - once in their own "swamp" :roflmao: and breaking the hearts of fans who wanted so badly for him to tank, for their own small, selfish reasons.

Not saying the kid's gonna set the world on fire, but given good coaching he could be better than many, if not most.

pvgolf32 said:
With almost every player Saban has drafted/signed as an undrafted FA there has been a connection to Saban, he knew the player's game well. I then remembered that Brock Berlin was a stud in high school, and went to a Louisiana Chrisitan High School if I remember correctly. Therefore, it seems lkely that Saban remembers Berlin dominating in high school, and still has an image of him as a player with incredible ability.

He also could remember him playing for Florida as well ??

LarryFinFan said:
He also could remember him playing for Florida as well ??

Right, what I was saying, and I think what I must have not said clearly, was that Saban probably has an image of Berlin that may be different than what the rest of us, who only saw him at Miami had. When there's a local kid in an area high school who is a stud, and you are a big-time collegiate program, like Berlin was to LSU, the coach of the local collegiate program regards him as a very talented player, and a guy you would want on your team. Saban also did see him at Florida, which I failed to address in my first post. Basically, I'm questioning whether Saban's first impression of Berlin as almost a legendary high school QB led to an aura about Brock Berlin in the mind of Saban, the coach of the big-time local program who tried to recruit this highly-touted high schooler. Just a thought.

I didn't mind the Brock signing. I think only good can come from this. The guy tries and he has heart. I remember that crazy comeback againts the gators here in Miami. He rallied the team and they came back from a huge hole. We need guys with character and heart, and I think he has both. Give the guy a chance. Yeah, his first year at UM wasn't that great, but he really improved last year, and that counts for something. Good luck Brock :beerbang:

Jnaledu3 said:
Brock Berlin is nothing more than a young Jay Fiedler. Hes undersized, weak arm, and makes poor decisions. The only reason I think Saban brought him in was because he is a local guy.

he is undersized and makes terrible decisions, but berlin has a big time arm, nobody has ever doubted that. imo he is a system qb, and would have gone off in a spread offense in cfb. that said, imo he won't translate well in the league w/o a lot of work, and is a p.s. candidate.

pvgolf32 said:
With almost every player Saban has drafted/signed as an undrafted FA there has been a connection to Saban, he knew the player's game well. I then remembered that Brock Berlin was a stud in high school, and went to a Louisiana Chrisitan High School if I remember correctly. Therefore, it seems lkely that Saban remembers Berlin dominating in high school, and still has an image of him as a player with incredible ability.

Brother-in-laws?

Back
Top Bottom