Brunell....what's he worth? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Brunell....what's he worth?

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
I want to try and get some "adult" opinions about this....and by adult I mean, realistic views, not any of the BS that's on the main board...(apologies to anyone who has tried to bring reason to the masses).....

IMO, the guy seems perfect for this offense....injury issues aside for the moment....I don't see anything in his bio that says he is washed up....to the contrary I see a remarkably consistent QB who has proven that he is everything that JF is and more. And I don't think it's a stretch to say that he would be an upgrade....What I don't know is, what he is worth to us...

if you believe the smoke signals, he could cost a second rounder, and if that is the case, forget it.....especially since we don't have one :) ....and I would be against giving a third this year....BUT....a third next year, is somewhat appealing and anything less than that, including a 4th this year, I would have no problem with..... All this is assuming that we are forced to make a trade rather than wait for his release, of course.....

What are your thoughts about Brunell and his "price" to play for the Dolphins?

Let's conversate........:D

Last edited:
I agree with you. He's perfect for this offense IMO. He can still do just about everything. And he's a field general who sees everything. I would be overjoyed if we landed him. It'd be so nice to see him throw one of those bombs to Chambers.

That said, he's still 34 years old. And I just cannot bring myself to trade a first day pick for a 34-yr old QB. Especially one who is starting to suffer injuries and has taken 10 years of NFL hits. And if we do indeed plan on drafting a QB high, we'd essentially be spending a first day pick on a guy not expected to start beyond two years (at most). That's just not frugal IMO.

The absolute highest I'd go would 4th round pick. And that would be overspending a bit for me.

I'd REALLY like to have Brunell in Miami. But preferably with no pick involved.

Obviously, the interest seems high. I believe the Jags leaked the info about the deal so they could pump up the price. I wouldn't consider giving up a day one in 2004. I would consider a conditional 2005 that would be no higher than a 2nd. Maybe get a late rd pick back if it ends up a 2nd. Give Jags the option of a 3rd or if you get our 2nd, you give us back a 5th. Something like that. Brunell also would need to sign a cap friendly contract but one that is also fair to him.

This premise would apply to the Bills if they were in the Fins situation

I guess it might be my age but, 34 doesn't seem all that old to me, and 10 seasons is nothing compared to many players throughout NFL history including our own Dan Marino. I can't help but to think of Brad Johnson and Rich Gannon as recent examples of older QBs getting the job done.

The other thing that concerns me besides the potential cost, which I agree with both of you, a day one pick is too much.....is the demand, that we pass on a first round QB if we sign him.....I realize that signing MB and drafting a young gun would kill one bird with two stones but, I would lose my mind if Rivers were available at 20 and we pass on him (no pun intended).......I guess I would just have to start thinking o-line and Chris Leak, right???:lol:

Now THAT'S a kid who's gonna a star. He reminds me of a modified Mike Vick. He's athletic as heck. But he's more inclined to stay in the pocket and use that arm.

And I too think I would die if Rivers was there and we passed on him. I'm just such a huge fan of his. I mainly love what he brings OTHER than his physical attributes. Just watching him pre-snap at the LOS. It just reminds you of Peyton Manning.

Honestly, you look at Jake Delhomme and try and find what he has that Rivers doesn't. You pretty much come up empty handed. Rivers has the edge in accuracy and size. Both have those cool demeanors. I think Rivers' arm is strong enough. And the deep passing questions will go away when he and his receivers develop timing.

Anyway, I'm just not real big on entering this season with Jay Fiedler as the starter. I don't think you can depend on a rookie to win it all, even if he doesn't start right away. And that's why I think we need Brunell. That way there's no pressure on the rookie. And you upgrade your starting QB.

I have to agree w/Muck that he is worth around a 4th in 2004 or 3rd in 2005. I am really disappointed that it has come down to a trade as I fully expected Jax to cut him in a couple of weeks and then it w/come down to money and Bru's pref.

Brunell w/give us the best chance we have had to do something in a long time if we could get some OL help for him; otherwise, we betta trade for Vick because he is the only one who will do us any good w/what we have left on the line

yeah buddy, Muck, Chris Leak is gonna be THE man....:drool:

I guess the question now, is, would you pay Brunell 20 million for three seasons....:eek2:

(Fat Bastard)
Holly crap! Tha's alot o' food money!!

No way.....I would pass and go to the draft....I think I would take Losman, if it came down to it, over a 20 million dollar Brunell.....i'd croos my fingers that Sage and Jay could be enough but if they weren't I would look forward to the future with my new young QB....

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
Obviously, the interest seems high. I believe the Jags leaked the info about the deal so they could pump up the price. I wouldn't consider giving up a day one in 2004. I would consider a conditional 2005 that would be no higher than a 2nd. Maybe get a late rd pick back if it ends up a 2nd. Give Jags the option of a 3rd or if you get our 2nd, you give us back a 5th. Something like that. Brunell also would need to sign a cap friendly contract but one that is also fair to him.

This premise would apply to the Bills if they were in the Fins situation
20 million for three seasons is not "cap friendly" ....is it?........Oy!!

I don't feel the Dolphins should give up ANY draft choices for Brunell ! And if they could somehow sign Brunell it would have to be an extremely incentive laden contract imo ...

I think that M Brunell would be a perfect fit for the Dolphins offense but paying out big $$$ for a guy that has been injury prone the past 2 or 3 years or giving up badly needed draft picks would be taking a very unnecessary cap risk ...

Marino1983

when he was going to be released only a few weeks ago, i thought going after brunell was a great idea. he had stated he would play for close to the league minimun. i was really interested if the thought was to get a young gun in the draft or trade for brunell to help develope.

recent news, however, concerns me. if he ends up in wash., then maybe we go for ramsey. a young guy with two years of starting and tons of upside for trestman to work with.

no way should we pay what wash. is reportedly offering! in that case, i agree he is tooooo old. lol

Last edited by a moderator:
unfortunately, i don't know details about either. the intrigueing aspect of ramsey is age vs experience. he has room to grow and i think trestman can teach him.

rivers is a professional unknown. i think he has the intangeable to be a great leader and be productive, but that usually takes some time to really develope. it took dan 'till his second year to REALLY take off, learning in his first.

this team has a win now mentality and ramsey would fit that better. now, if for some reason brunell gets to us, then rivers looks that much more attractive. trestman can teach him all the "bad habits" that this team expects while brunell runs the show for the present.

i guess to answer your question; if we have a suitable vet, then i say rivers. if not then ramsey and his youth and experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
The thing about Brunell is, if we were to sign him......Drew Henson also becomes a much greater possibility. While Brunell generally does not want to play in front of a rookie with alot invested in him, Henson could potentially be the exception. Brunell likely wouldn't be quite as miffed with the addition of Henson as he might be of Rivers because Henson will likely require more "clipboard time" after being out 3 seasons. Rivers, on the other hand, looks like he could contribute much earlier.

Back
Top Bottom