bryant westbrook cut (merged) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

bryant westbrook cut (merged)

Denny

GENERAL MANAGER
Reaction score
Brian Westbrook Released!!!!

Might be an upgrade over RAY GREEN. LETS WAIT AND SEE!!!!!

bryant westbrook cut

Miami seemed pretty commited in getting upgrade on 4th cb all through pre season and particulary at end......i am sure he will at least visit and they will see where he is at...remember its 4cb not starter and he might be looking to come into a good situation to recover his game ...he'll only be vet minimum and i see little risk only upside...remember this is a #5 pick only 5 years ago in the Sam Madison draft and is only 27

draft bios

Bryant Westbrook, Texas, CB
5-11½, 197 lbs
Came on strong towards the end of his senior year including a great performance in the Big 12 championship to help Texas upset Nebraska. Westbrook is the only senior cornerback in the ’97 draft who can be considered a super prospect. He has a combination of size, strength, and speed that very few corners have, which will allow him to match up well with the bigger wideouts in the NFL. He should easily be among the top ten players taken in the draft and could go as high as three or four.

sam madison
Madison is a multi-talented player who seems to always be making a big play (even caught a touchdown this season as a wide receiver) . He is one of the most talented players to come out of Louisville in a long time. Had a total of 13 interceptions in just the last two years. Look for Madison to be chosen high in the second round and he could possibly enter the first round.

NFL BIO

Pro Career
Hard-nosed young defender who has settled into starting left cornerback spot since shortly after the day he was drafted in 1997.Intense hitter who is very effective in run-support from the edges. Vicious open-field tackler who has already endeared himself to receivers league-wide who hear his footsteps in coverage. Has already learned to relish the role of going head-to-head against the opposing team's top receiver on a weekly basis. Possesses the physical skills to become one of the top cornerbacks in the league. Two of his five interceptions in 1997-98 were returned for touchdown (one in each season).Lions' first round selection (fifth overall) in 1997 NFL Draft and club's highest overall draft pick since Barry Sanders (third overall) in 1989.

Starter in all 16 games (14 at left cornerback) who used sophomore campaign to build upon solid rookie season in 1997.Started first two games of '98 on right side after flip-flopping with Kevin Abrams in the off-season, but switched back to left side for remainder of the year.Tied with Mark Carrier and Ron Rice for team-lead in interceptions (three) to push career total to five.Team-leader for second straight season with 19 passes broken up, in addition to career-high 77 tackles.Career-high 11 tackles vs. Cincinnati (9/13).

Led squad with 20 passes defensed in 1997. Named to USA Today, Pro Football Weekly, Football News and College and Pro Football Weekly's All-Rookie Team. Also came in fifth-place in Associated Press' Rookie of the Year voting. Made first career interception at Miami (12/7) and returned the Dan Marino pass 64 yards for a touchdown. Recorded big interception in Lions' endzone in fourth quarter of regular season finale vs. N.Y. Jets (12/21) -- play came on a halfback option. Collected four tackles in Wild Card playoff game at Tampa Bay (12/28)

College Highlights
All-American second-team selection by the AP...Consensus All-Big 12 first-team pick...Recorded 52 tackles with three forced fumbles and a pair of blocked kicks...Deflected 11 passes and intercepted two others...Blocked a punt and returned it 35 yards for a touchdown...First-team All-Southwest Conference honors as a junior.

forget it

Bryant Westbrook is NOT coming here to challenge for the Dime back job.

not so sure cat

his stock is pretty low, who would pay him starter money?, who has starter money to give?......a 1 year deal to get his game back and maybe do a cousins and get big contract.

I'd love it...

He'd be a great guy to rotate with Fletcher on the outside slot. He struggled in Dallas because the Cowboys play more zone than the bump-and-run defense that he likes to play. But he could go into Baltimore right now and be the odds on favorite to start opposite McAlister.

He's a pro bowler. Lets put it this way. Baltimore and Carolina both offered Terry Fair a starting job. Carolina won Terry Fair. Now Baltimore is starting a second year dude and putting him in charge of pro bowler Keenan McCardell this week.

Eh hem. I think the noise you just heard was Baltimore tripping over themselves as they rush to the phones to try and pick up Bryant Westbrook...

We should trippin over our nose also..but because we're not guranteeing a starting job to any body..it's going to be hard to sign these types of players..unless they just want a chance at perhaps winning a SB.

accept that

baltimore is a good fit...depends on him, if he bombs out as starter in say Baltimore he could find his stock will be zero....but he would not be so exposed here, have chance of winning and could earn a big contract like say cousins.....depends on his confidence as of now really...if low he might shy away from starting anyway

Big contract like Cousins? Cousins did not see a "big" contract. Well at least, not compared to what Westbrook has seen. Heck I wouldn't be surprised if Westbrook's last signing bonus was bigger than the total value of Cousins' contract.

I would approach Westbrook and say simply, hey...you can be our nickel CB. Our Nickel CB plays an average of 50-60% of plays. BUT, you'd better be as good as we think you are because if you're not, Jamar Fletcher is our nickel guy.

I wonder if Balty has contacted him already. Probably. We probably have too.

I don't know guys, I think if we were gonna pick up someone else to add back there, I would want a nice veteran who could teach Fletcher some of the finer points, meanwhile knowing his own role as a backup with a chance to win, and learn. Thats why I think T-buck would have been a good pickup. Anyhoo, no way does Westbrook come here. I think we have a more pressing need at linebacker as it is.

T-Buck turned us down once again. He's forever turning us down. We would have signed him when Fair said no.

He'd be a great press corner here.

I think we should try and if he says no, then at least we tried.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
T-Buck turned us down once again. He's forever turning us down. We would have signed him when Fair said no.

T-Buck turned us down the first time......the 2nd time the phins only casually inquired and didn't offer a contract. As for Cousin he signed a 4 year deal for $5.2 million with a $500k signing bonus.

Back
Top Bottom