Bua at safety?? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bua at safety??

Bua is listed at 5-11, 212 pounds. And it looks accurate. Was listed at 218 coming into the draft. That's pretty good size for a safety.

Saban's words on June 12th...

"We were trying to get him in a position where he had a chance to make the team based on his size and speed and athleticism. And I think he has the athleticism to play in the secondary, Saban said Sunday."

Scouting report heading into the draft (as a SS)...

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/2004draft/Bua,Tony-SS-Arkansas.htm

He can be a backup safety...he has the speed in all but he doesnt have the best size in the world. They should best keep him at special teams thats his strong point.

Finfolife said:
He is way to slow (size) to be playing in the safety position. Tillman, Jones much better at the safety position.

Not really, Bua is about 215 lbs..(his listed playing weight)...He probably has a hard time keeping that weight on and losing 10 ro 15 is not out of the question...He may not be too slow to play SS. His weakness is probably more in the coverage area than in the tackling ability, ball instincts and hitting ability. He played safety on and off thruout his college days. He made the move to LB to help out his team due to injuries to other players. My guess is that Wanny saw some of ZT in him...and envisioned him putting on about 20 lbs and playing the short middle like Zach does...just barely fast enough to cover a FB or TE, but quick enough to fill the gaps and run support and an sure tackler. Saban doesn't see him as a LB so the move back to SS is the only way the guy can keep a job here. Tillman is a better FS than SS and Jones, although experienced and athletic, hasn't been able to solidify his role as the SS anchor that was envisioned for him since he was drafted. Bua will not be more than a backup for this year at SS unless he is pressed into service, but he could be a fillin guy and STer as a role player that Saban likes.

Where is all this talk about his speed hurting him come from?

I know Jason Cole has said something about him being short of step, but if I remember his speed is better than Knight's speed. How do you guys know he is too slow for the position? Saban moved him to that position without reservation. And he is the head coach.

Lee2000

BLITZKRIEG said:
He's alittle small for a starting safety, but his speed is fine IMO. His best asset is on special teams where he can make tackles in the open field. I would be very confident with him starting at S however....

We need to sign Lance Schulters. End of story....
What do you mean he is too small? He is 5'11! Remember Brock Marion? He was 5'11. And he was a hitter and a top performers a safety

we all have our "ideal view" on what size u need to play certain positions. Trends are often bucked when a player has the football brain needed to step it up. the NFL is full of players that have gone on to play way over their abilities when it comes to size or speed. John Lynch isnt a burner, Sam Mills who played LB for the Saints in the 80-90's was way too small but he was a pro bowler. Going by what ive read with this post it seems alot of guys are worried about his speed AND size. At worst he will be a great special teams player for us, we all know he can tackle. At best he will be a Strong Safety who may or may not come thru with a couple of more seasons under his belt. Hes obviously liked by Fin fans cos he has created so much debate, I hope hes a player who can create things for us, be it on ST or on Defense.

Back
Top Bottom