Bucking another trend. | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bucking another trend.

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
I've thought for a long time that the Miami Dolphins are a victim of their own success.

The constant SB talk that centers around this team almost every season, whether deserved or not, has an effect on opponents much the same as if we had actually went to or won a SB in the last thirty years. We are always treated like a measuring stick with teams consistently bringing their A game whenever they see the Phins on the schedule. The phrase "you gotta beat the best to be the best" comes to mind when I put myself in our opponents shoes.

No one takes us lightly and that makes every game we play, from Tennesseee to Houston, a battle for our lives. Every game must be played at redline or risk being beaten by a more motivated foe.

Unfortunately wearing a target like this in the NPL(National Parity League) is a good way to ensure that your season will not end with your team killing time between commercials in the last game of the season.

And judging by the number of recent repeat champions, this is a very bad position to be in.

Tampa Bay had a pretty good year last year. How are they doing, this year, with that big ol'target hanging around their neck?

In a league where the talent from team to team is more or less equal, the team's mind set and opponents motivation is, IMO, a HUGE factor. The ability to fly under the radar is a great advantage. One that the Dolphins have not enjoyed in many many years.

Well, after seeing them play their last game, and coming on the heels of losing 3 out of 4....Is it possible that the Dolphins might be able to reap the benefits of falling out of the SB picture?? Can we finally catch somebody looking ahead to another game rather than hoping to make a name for themselves against one of the all time best teams in the league?

It might only be worth one game this year but it sure would be nice to steal a game like that. You know, the 'You snooze, you lose' theory.

I hope that some of our opponents coaches and players feel the same way about the Dolphins as some of our fans do. I hope that they have written us off as some of our fans already have. I hope that the SB talk doesn't start up again as soon as we win two in a row.

I hope all this because, quite frankly, we need all the help we can get.:D

Originally posted by inFINSible
I hope that the SB talk doesn't start up again as soon as we win two in a row.

inFINSible, I feel the same way as you do, but we all know that the media(papers, espn, etc..) will say what they want, that way if they are right, they can say they were right and make the right picks(*cough cough* what happened to the Bills SB run this year??)(that comment is not to rub it in Bill Fan's faces, but to to prove that media is media and will jump on the wagon quicker then a drunken Chicago Bulls fan).

I've thought for a long time that the Miami Dolphins are a victim of their own success.

The constant SB talk that centers around this team almost every season, whether deserved or not, has an effect on opponents much the same as if we had actually went to or won a SB in the last thirty years. We are always treated like a measuring stick with teams consistently bringing their A game whenever they see the Phins on the schedule. The phrase "you gotta beat the best to be the best" comes to mind when I put myself in our opponents shoes.

No one takes us lightly and that makes every game we play, from Tennesseee to Houston, a battle for our lives. Every game must be played at redline or risk being beaten by a more motivated foe.

Unfortunately wearing a target like this in the NPL(National Parity League) is a good way to ensure that your season will not end with your team killing time between commercials in the last game of the season.

And judging by the number of recent repeat champions, this is a very bad position to be in.

Tampa Bay had a pretty good year last year. How are they doing, this year, with that big ol'target hanging around their neck?

In a league where the talent from team to team is more or less equal, the team's mind set and opponents motivation is, IMO, a HUGE factor. The ability to fly under the radar is a great advantage. One that the Dolphins have not enjoyed in many many years.

Well, after seeing them play their last game, and coming on the heels of losing 3 out of 4....Is it possible that the Dolphins might be able to reap the benefits of falling out of the SB picture?? Can we finally catch somebody looking ahead to another game rather than hoping to make a name for themselves against one of the all time best teams in the league?

It might only be worth one game this year but it sure would be nice to steal a game like that. You know, the 'You snooze, you lose' theory.

I hope that some of our opponents coaches and players feel the same way about the Dolphins as some of our fans do. I hope that they have written us off as some of our fans already have. I hope that the SB talk doesn't start up again as soon as we win two in a row.

I hope all this because, quite frankly, we need all the help we can get.:D

Yes, most fans of other teams have no idea what we see every game, every year. Teams that have 3 win seasons, high draft picks and easy schedules will have an up year, then two down years. It really is amazing how well our organization has done over the last 30 plus years, especially when you consider how we are always a marked team with a tough schedule and always drafting late.

Re: Re: Bucking another trend.

Originally posted by DOLFANMIKE

Yes, most fans of other teams have no idea what we see every game, every year. Teams that have 3 win seasons, high draft picks and easy schedules will have an up year, then two down years. It really is amazing how well our organization has done over the last 30 plus years, especially when you consider how we are always a marked team with a tough schedule and always drafting late.

It sure would be nice to have a last place schedule and a high draft pick playing for us but, I think even than we would still be more of a target than most teams.

I'm thinking that all the December meltdowns and the apparent fracture in the team now, will contribute to a possible advantage for us against the Eagles.

None of the rest of the games we have remaining fit into this category. The Eagles are the only team left on our schedule that can possibly be so arrogant as to look past us and even that would be out the window if we win the next 4.

Of course if that was the case, we wouldn't have to worry about it, would we? :lol:

Re: Re: Bucking another trend.

Originally posted by Phinz1972

inFINSible, I feel the same way as you do, but we all know that the media(papers, espn, etc..) will say what they want, that way if they are right, they can say they were right and make the right picks(*cough cough* what happened to the Bills SB run this year??)(that comment is not to rub it in Bill Fan's faces, but to to prove that media is media and will jump on the wagon quicker then a drunken Chicago Bulls fan).

I guess you get the big bucks if you can say "I told you so" before anyone else, so yeah, the media is driven like that. But I was more implying that the players start thinking and talking like that and they get complacent.

I agree. I believe teams are more motivated when they play the Phins. Our talent level is not that much greater than theirs to beat them if we don't hit as hard as they do or are as motivated. I believe there are teams more talented than us, like the Rams last time we played them and the 9ers last time we went there but I don't believe there are many. Talent wise if the team gives 100% for the remaining games they can win out or just lose one more. But they don't look as talanted when they don't give 100%. For once I'd like to see them give their all against a top ranked team.

Exactly, sherif. IMO, the team with the greater desire to win, WILL win, most of the time.

Look at all the great coaches. They all had different game plans and philosophies but the one thing that set them apart from ALL the other coaches was the ability to get the most out of every single player on the team. They were all great MOTIVATORS.

It all comes down to who wants it the most, and then, when the going gets tough, who really wants it the most.

Well we have the worst coach in the league at motivating so that won't help much, we still have a lousy O-line so that won't help, our D is playing less then inspired D so that does not help, we are going up against one of the best D's in the league that does not help, we can't win a game at home so that does not help, we are going into the worst part of the season for us over the past several years so that does not help, yeah, I see teams looking past us so what! We have nothing for them, this season is over most likely we will only win two more games if that and end up 7-9.

In order for us to be effective against a team looking past us we have to play kickass football on both sides of the ball and we have not done that except once this year against the Jills. We are not a strong finishing team we don't have the O-line to make a run, and the D will not shut teams down because they know the O will not win if they have a bad game. Football is about teamwork, and Miami has not for as long as I can remember been a team, we have a strong D or we have a strong O but I can't remember when we had both, or atleast balanced so we can win a game we need to win.

Optimisim is great, and I would love to believe that we will finish strong but there is nothing, IMO, that gives me reason to think we will finish strong. Too many problems to fix confidence is a huge part of wining in this game, and the fins are as far from that as a team can be right now. They also need luck and big breaks to go their way to win consistently things like, wining in OT against NE,getting a long TD run from Ricky against the Texans, Turning a INT into a TD late in the game with Indy, all of those plays had they gone the other way would have givin our team more confidence and our record would be much different we don't have the luck or confidence on our side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your reply but, your opinion means about as much to me as mine means to you....NEXT!

i think teams always want to beat the only undefeated team, whether it was 30 years ago or not. maybe if KC runs the table this year, the pressure will be off!;)

Originally posted by Williams34Phins
Kc is going to get beat tomorrow, woooooooo. And if not I'm pretty sure the Bronco's can take them out.
nick always puts a bottle of champagne on ice the beginning of the season. bet he's just bustin to pop the cork this year!:rolleyes:

Thanks for your reply but, your opinion means about as much to me as mine means to you....NEXT!

Value my opion or not, what I wrote is true.

Originally posted by rickykicks@$$

Value my opion or not, what I wrote is true.

:lol: maybe so.

We'll see won't we.

Enjoy the rest of the season, I know I will.

Back
Top Bottom