Bye Bye DirecTV.......... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Bye Bye DirecTV..........

NYC#1finsfan

Active Roster
Reaction score
As a Sunday Ticket Subscriber since 1995 it is somewhat sad news for me............

As a Sunday Ticket Subscriber since 1995 it is somewhat sad news for me............

I had DirecTV way back when it was independent as well. Then I switched to Dish for a while. But with broadband being expanded I tossed satellite a long time ago. The internet speed is just not up to task. Xfininity and UVerse are just much faster. The only good thing with satellite was that post Hurricane when ground based equipment failed satellite was working because it did not require any ground based switches and routers (on the provider end).

The irony is that AT&T was trying to get rid of UVerse. They were selling DirectTV in our area like a bunch of maniacs even to UVerse customers. It would have made sense for AT&T because the equipment maintenance for satellite is much cheaper than UVerse.
Now they are expanding their fiber optics. Hopefully that decision to reduce DirecTV will have better service for UVerse and their future fiber optics as a result. Not getting my hopes up though.

It does suck though for SundayTicket subscribers. What is your alternate plan?

I had DirecTV way back when it was independent as well. Then I switched to Dish for a while. But with broadband being expanded I tossed satellite a long time ago. The internet speed is just not up to task. Xfininity and UVerse are just much faster. The only good thing with satellite was that post Hurricane when ground based equipment failed satellite was working because it did not require any ground based switches and routers (on the provider end).

The irony is that AT&T was trying to get rid of UVerse. They were selling DirectTV in our area like a bunch of maniacs even to UVerse customers. It would have made sense for AT&T because the equipment maintenance for satellite is much cheaper than UVerse.
Now they are expanding their fiber optics. Hopefully that decision to reduce DirecTV will have better service for UVerse and their future fiber optics as a result. Not getting my hopes up though.

It does suck though for SundayTicket subscribers. What is your alternate plan?

My plan is to follow "The ticket" to wherever it lands. I can't watch a football game on my phone or computer. I need my big 4K screen and 1080i is fancy enough for me........

My plan is to follow "The ticket" to wherever it lands. I can't watch a football game on my phone or computer. I need my big 4K screen and 1080i is fancy enough for me........

if it helps NYC i use my laptop and plug it into my big screen tv in my living room. i use a bluetooth keyboard from my couch

I've been a DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscriber since the 90's. I've never had as many problems with the customer service or loyalty since ATT took over from Verizon. It's been abysmal. My fear is using the internet for the games and then getting cut off, like I did several years back. It's getting to the point of no return for Sunday Ticket. I love my Football but not sure it's worth the aggravation or the price anymore. I may keep it till the end of the year, which coincides with my cell phone obligation ending with ATT, then take my chances on the internet in 2021. Not sure of what I'm going to do yet.

I just plug my laptop into my TV via HDMI, or watch via my PS4 . Streaming directly to a smart TV is defiantly the future though

I just plug my laptop into my TV via HDMI, or watch via my PS4 . Streaming directly to a smart TV is defiantly the future though
Thanks for the tip. I have a Toshiba Smart HDTV. I've seen the HDMI portal in the back of the TV. Now if I only knew how to set it up, I'd be ok. But I'm a Klutz when it comes to this streaming stuff.

Thanks for the tip. I have a Toshiba Smart HDTV. I've seen the HDMI portal in the back of the TV. Now if I only knew how to set it up, I'd be ok. But I'm a Klutz when it comes to this streaming stuff.
It's so easy man. You just need an HDMI cable and plug the laptop and TV in to each other. I've had some situations before, probably older tvs, or a laptop, but I had to adjust some screen setting to get it to port over. But when I do it nowadays, its as easy as selecting the input for that HDMI

So, I used to do the aforementioned laptop/tv, my Samsung tv even has an app for Sun Tic too, but Ive found that doing it through the Ps4 gets me the best quality of a stream (dont have the best internet)

Yep.At&t really ****ed it up.Total dipshits to ruin a good thing.

I think we'll look back on this as a good thing. Could make the product more widely available and cheaper. NBA, MLB and NHL have had awidely available league pass like package available for $200 or less for years. There's no reason th NFL should charge $300 or more for much fewer games than the other leagues play.

I looked into switching from DTV to streaming services a little over a year ago and then again recently. As a heavy sports subscriber, I just can't see the cost savings. Plus, I'm not sold on relying on Internet connectivity and speeds just yet.

Re: the cost, you've realistically got to have an unlimited data service, which isn't cheap. Even setting up an HD antenna to receive all local over-the-air programming (FOX, NBC, CBS, ABC), there are so many different sports channels needed (ESPN, TNT, TBS, FS1, B10 Network, Pac-12 Network, NBCSN, etc, etc) that it ends up costing about the same as I'm paying for DTV. FubuTV, Sling, Hulu, etc. all have packages ranging from $30-60 per month and not all of them include everything.

Re: Internet connectivity, I'm just not convinced it's consistent enough. I was at a friends house within the past year where the big fight was only available via streaming service. And it was a horrible experience. The feed kept freezing. And lots of subscribers were having the same issue.

That typically doesn't happen with cable or satellite. I don't want to be at the mercy of my ISP or bandwidth of the area I reside in.

Imagine watching the Super Bowl or any really big game event and your Internet connection goes down. Or the speed greatly suffers because others in your area are doing the same thing. I need a more consistent experience for LIVE sports.

Back
Top Bottom