Camp Report for the Offense! | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Camp Report for the Offense!

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
First of all let me say thanks to DCH for giving me so many props in his post's. Preciate that very much! I always have enjoyed DCH's reading material! Taking the time to do these can be quite time consuming! Especially for me, but made easier thanks to that Spell Check! :)

Thanks again DCH, and Email me so we can hook up next time!

Wassup folks, sorry for the delay, but Fishing is the second most important thing in my life, besides my Dolphins, you guys are third, my Girlfriend hates you all :D

J/K

On to my thoughts on today's (Sunday) practice. I arrived a little late so I'm only getting into the Drills.

First things first lets do the Running game: I'm telling you that it looks real good for Miami this year as far as being loaded with Rb's. BUT Travis Minor and Robert Edward's had some minor setbacks (at least we hope), both went down with hammy pulls on Saturday, and did not practice today. Ricky Williams seems to really be adapting well here, and getting along with almost EVERYONE, defense included (he has not hit them yet though) it is funny watching him go into a pile, and he just keeps going, almost everytime he pops out the backside of it. Then what's even more funny is he picks the first person he sees, and heads right for him, then gets touched, then heads for the next guy he sees, acting like he is going to bull each one over. It's getting to be a game, or so it seems, because it is a written rule that everytime the man with the ball goes by or at a defender he has to try and pull the ball out of their hands. Ricky is really working hard, staying right up front when second teamers, and so on, are on the field. Lots of players are giving him some attention, and I think this is real important to make him feel part of this team right away. Like I said in my other report he is a lot bigger than I thought, almost out of proportion, NO NECK, big GIANT THIGHS, and HUGE CALF'S. He is working hard to be that every down back Miami has not had in many many years. I'm VERY IMPRESSED with him so far, and that means not only running, but catching the ball.

Henry Leonard has caught my eye big time. He reminds me of Terrell Davis. I really like the way he cuts back against the grain, not only that but his sudden burst seems to be amazing (at least with no pads). He is a very fluid guy, so fluid that he would have scored on a long run today with just one move, and single step against the grain, and POOF he was gone! BUT this was against some third stringers on D, one being out of place was Safety Joshua Symonette (I believe). All in all I really like this guy though, and if Edward's pans out I fully expect to see Leonard placed on the practice squad. A least that's what I see after watching two practices! Let him start messing up, and I'll be right there to pound on him in my reports (I learned real well from bragging on Cecil Collins)!!!

Not too much more to say about the Running backs because the rest are just fodder's, and most likely gone by late July!

The FB's are actually going out on patterns!!! Miami must have changed offensive coordinators huh? Quite a few the out patterns included the FB's, and they actually ran some over the middle, though no passes went their way today up the middle!

Now onto the Qb's: I'll start out by saying that Jay had a fine practice on Friday, and from what I've read DCH says he did the best of all Qb's on Saturday, but not on SUNDAY! I hate his out pattern passes! I think Jay might as well!! He almost looks scared when he lets it go, and HAS TO stop thinking too much about it! He missed 5 out of 7 badly! One of them to Konrad that could have been a nice gainer! He did hit on one nice pass to Robert Baker for about a 20 yard gain, a nice throw that only the Wr could get, one that Baker had to reach for just a bit, but nice all the same. I'm not letting Jay get away though, of all Qb's in Camp he has to STEP UP, and start showing these guys he can, not only learn the new offense, but be counted on to hit some passes early on in games, which has been my biggest knock on him. Ricky Williams is know to start slow, and get better as the game goes on, so if the passing game can connect EARLY ON, by the fourth quarter, pounding the opponent will be all the more easier, and all the more relevant! And it will fit the mold perfectly, having Ricky Williams as that bruiser, with a lead!!!

Ray Lucas made some nice out pattern throws today, hitting Simmons on one, and Marlon Barnes on another. He did the better job today, but I'm in no way saying he should be the man, even though he was my personal fav last year, he was beat out in Camp by Jay! But I feel very comfortable having Lucas as a back up. He is a natural leader, and a practical joker too, he has fun, and it rubs off on others!

Cade McNown! Hmmmm. Well, he had the longest pass play of the day, one that hit Simmons in stride, just out of the defenders reach! A real nice play, BUT don't get your hopes up too much. The rest of his passes were TERRIBLE! I mean that too, he hit a DEFENDER in stride for a long TD right after that nice play, and from then on out missed badly almost every throw! I'm not impressed one bit, and trust me I really liked Cade coming out of College as the best Qb in that class that Miami might have been able to land! Boy I seem wrong again! Maybe you guys should take what I say and turn it around for the proper diagnosis...... :D

Tim Levcik seems to have caught Norv Turners eye a bit, not because of his play but maybe more like his potential. He is a big guy with a pretty nice arm, that needs work. And I noticed Norv working with him quite a bit! If he cannot beat out Cade he might be headed for the Squad, or maybe Europe! He worked third team quite a few times today, so Cade better watch out!

Zak Kustok...... ***etaboutit, at least for now I would! He threw two terribly thrown passes for Int's back to back, followed by another that was dropped for a sure TD by the DEFENDER! Can we all say FODDER! I know it's early so things could change........today was not a good day for him!

Wr's: Well, lets say that since the two starters are out we get to see lots of the others. McKnight got a bruised rib, or maybe a pulled muscle in his chest, but it must have been nothing serious, he returned after a short rest. But he made three nice receptions, and one bad drop. He is so darn fast, and runs pretty good routes, I just pray that he starts CONCENTRATING more before Sept.!!!! One more off that helmet and I might need a bypass! Ogden did not get a ball thrown his way that I saw anyway. Sam Simmons most of the passes thrown his way today. I'm not sure if by design but they did get plenty to look at from him today. He responded real well, but also dropped a couple, the defenders get some of the credit for that......some of it! I think he could be a pleasant surprise from the draft. He fits a good mold of a slot guy that also doubles as a return guy. Now that's one thing I cannot wait to see, is Simmons lining up for some returns in Pre Season! Returns do get worked on during camps but nothing can be truly told until it's in a game! If Simmons does well returning I think the writing is on the wall for Ogden!

Robert Baker looks his usual Camp ready self, running nice routes and also made that nice reception from McNown. He and Albert Johnson will provide some good competition during these camps but come June 1st, Miami better look for another starting caliber Wr..... IMHO!

The TE's were a nonfactor today!

No deep passes were thrown on Friday or Today. It was mostly short and intermediate stuff, so nothing overly exciting to report on the passing game yet!!!

The starting Offensive line consisted of Todd Wade, Todd Perry, Tim Ruddy, TROY ANDREW, and Brent Smith! Andrews is getting lots of time at guard today, he is also responding well. He is quick to get out of his stance and is using his hands real well. Brent Smith looks pretty good coming out off the ball, but it is really way to early to tell, because there is NO PADS, so not much hitting. Perry seems to have a bone to pick, I noticed him grunting and hissing, and pushing pretty hard on the DT's. All I can say is he better keep it up! Leon Searcy is right with him, coming on strong, but I think it will be more Perry in these mini camps so Searcy keeps fresh! It should be a given that Searcy makes the team, HEALTH would be the only reason why he can't! MONEY, size and being a former Pro Bowler would be reasons why he does! All he has to do is lean on a guy and it makes a small hole for a Rb. He is just such a mammoth of a guy. Jamie Nails worked back up at RG, and again impressed me as one of the fastest with his hands up. Seth McKinney as second team Center today, I did not notice him at G, but that's definitely going to change. I know he was not drafted to sit all year long. And Ruddy will be at Center this year!
Keep in mind people that it is really hard to get a good handle on how the Offensive Line is really doing. WITHOUT PADS on all I can do is check the speed of their hands, how they come off the ball, and if their using their hips in unison, and of course who is who and where they line up!

OK That's my report for the Offense!!! I'm snagging something to eat, feeding my cats, and then I'll do Defense, which by the way, should be a much much better looking report, just not as long........MAYBE!!!!

Ozzy.............

Great insight!;) Keep up the great information for all of us starving 'phin fans who couldn't make it down for minicamps.:D

Ozzy. Are you there this week for the QB Camp? Would really like to know if Jay is improving on the out passes. I think this is an important component to Norv's Offense and Jay must be sharp in his execution.

Originally posted by lloyd
Ozzy. Are you there this week for the QB Camp? Would really like to know if Jay is improving on the out passes. I think this is an important component to Norv's Offense and Jay must be sharp in his execution.

Can't make it this time. I'm thinking more in the lines of going back when the rookies do. All drafted rookies should be ready to come back from school in a month, for good! Miami's draft picks all graduated. Next is to get them to sign!

I know DCH is working on some info for us on this Qb school so keep a look out for his post!

Back
Top Bottom