Camp report part one | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Camp report part one

Ozzy

Premium Member
Reaction score
What's up Dolphins fans,

I've been dying to see some FOOTBALL, which is something I probably say every year.

So lets start with the disclaimer section. This is a Qb/Mini Camp, and there are no pads whatsoever. So take my words with a very coarse grain of salt. There is no way to give a true assessment of the LOS, because there is no hitting at all, only lineman getting in the way the best they can of the oncoming D-lineman. And these are only one persons opinion, which could very well be different from another's.

The offense will get the longer look in this report.

And I'll tell you this. Today Wanny was totally letting the offensive coaches do their thing. And they are totally different personalities out there. Running around, and yelling all over the place. It also seemed that there were more bodies out the coaching than last year, with a different coach for each group to go along with a helper or two for him. Spielman was out there on the field as well, pretty much all by himself thruout. I liked what I saw from their enthusiasm.

OK lets do a small take on the Offensive Line. This could end up being one heck of a unit but I think it's going to take a lot of time. These are some big, young bodies out there.

First round pick Vernon Carey looks like he is in great shape, hardly showing a belly for such a large man. Even with no hitting on the LOS, he was getting out there on some blocks, and I must say for his size he moves well. Although I missed his part in one particular play, Tony Wise screamed praise for him very loudly, and ran out to meet him with pats on the back. He worked mostly with the second team though, and there were quite a few times he looked lost out there. I can't wait to see him in some pads.

Jeno James is going to be a huge key on the Line (like any of us don't know this), and he looks to be taking it too task. It seem that on every play he steams back to the line, telling his mates to lineup. Could we have finally found a real leader for this line? BTW, I knew he was very good at pulling but it's even sweeter to see in person. Except the one time when he tripped over his own feet, or the foot of McKinney. He looked like a falling Elephant. This man also is HUGE!

St. Claire committed a false start, in which looked like he started the day before on the play. I'll reserve any harsh comments on him today, as they have only just begun.

Wade Smith sure had bulked up a bit, just like we have read in the papers here. And he was getting in JT's was as best he could today, only allowing JT to get a sack three times that I saw. It's clear though that he has been working his butt of, and I noticed a couple of times that his first step was pretty quick, also getting his hands right up of the jump.

Last one for today, this new draft pick, Hadnot, had best make this team, he is a huge man, and with time his size at Center could be a great plus. I'm liking what I'm seeing in that they have brought in some young bodies, that all weight well over 300 pounds, all except McKinney. Hadnot supposedly brings a nasty attitude as well, so once again, I'm dying to see him in pads as well.

How about some Qb's?

Well, it is painfully obvious that this is a new system to A.J. Feeley. He was way off the mark today, and looked totally lost almost thruout practice. Hey I'm pulling for him as much as anyone, but lets face it, he has much to learn. He was missing easy passes to Rb's out in the flat, and was throwing the out patterns behind the Wr, almost everytime. I'll say this though, he has a very strong arm, not stronger than Sage, but his gun is loaded. Lets give him a few practices, and I'm sure there will be marked improvement. BTW, while they were just playing catch on the other field, he was much more accurate, and calm was very noticeable. And his out pattern throws look very very good.

Sage also was off the mark a lot today. As we know he is the gun slinger of the group, and three times he had a chance to hit long homeruns, only to overthrow the ball way over the Receiver's head. All against a pretty stiff wind I might add. But on a comfort level he is just head and shoulders above AJF.

Now Fiedler, he was putting the ball dead on the money thruout the whole practice, and even clicked on a nice 50 yard strike. A very sweet pass I might add. He also was hitting the Rb in the flat to perfection. Crossing patterns looked excellent, with his only real problem pass, being that dreaded 20 yard out. He was still completing them though. Jay was in the mood today, that's for sure. As much as I' ve criticized him before, I also think he deserves my praise when it's due.... Good job today!

The fourth Qb throws just like Brian Griese IMO, but he plays Fetch the ball very well.

OK now the Wr's

I had to take a couple of looks to see if David Boston was wearing pads under his T-shirt! The guy is a monster, and his arms are the size of my darn legs!!! He is impressive, and lets pray, he keeps his head on straight. He will be huge for this offense, making a lot of teams back out of 8 man fronts. His routes are so perfect! With a great burst, to go along with these new rules, teams corners are going to have to back off him, and provide someone else, to at the very least, keep an extra eye on him. He did drop two passes, and had one nice catch.

McMichael made three real nice catches right off the bat, all from Fiedler. He is like a Wr out there playing TE.

Chambers had a couple of catches, one where they lined Konrad out deep with Chambers locking up with a Lb. It was a short pass, one that with one missed tackle, goes a long way.

Darrius Thompson had one real sweet catch coming back in an instant on a slightly underthrown ball by Feeley. And from my count had two more, with one dropped ball. And he was scolded (loudly) by one of the offensive coaches as well, for not coming back to the ball when the Qb was in trouble and had moved out of the pocket.

Tolver made two reaching receptions on out patterns, showing what we all already know, that he had very good hands. I think speed is what kills him though.

Simmons had a nice run after a catch, and I'm not 100% on this, but I noticed him stepping high when he walked, like he was kind of favoring the leg he broke last year.

Terrence Wilkens! Now I'm so used to seeing number 86 as a huge Wr, but now we have a midget wearing it. I don't know how these small men don't get killed out there, but he has lasted 6 years, so I guess he is all toughness. They worked him a lot today, and I'll tell you that with his speed in three wide situations, by moving Chambers in the slot, that's one fast fast trio! And I could see him burning the outside defenders in his future.

Minnis was quiet today.

Kendall Newsome is back.

But what I want to know is who is this number 34 guy? It took me a few plays before I even noticed the biggest star on offense. The dreads will be missed, but at least now he won't get yanked backwards by the defenders he blows by. It's going to take some getting used to, that's for sure>

Konrad was getting a lot of looks in the three wide set and caught almost everything thrown his way.

OK, I'm way past the hungry stage, so I'm gone to get some Sushi! I'll be back later and fill in the rest. Please feel free to ask for something I might have missed.

Nice write-up, I thought Feely did pretty well when I saw him early on in the practice, but I had to leave kind of early so it sounds like he struggled later on. I agree with you about the arm strength, hope he plays like he did at the start today.

Wade Smith sure had bulked up a bit, just like we have read in the papers here. And he was getting in JT's was as best he could today, only allowing JT to get a sack three times that I saw.

:rofl:

Normally, you'd cry or think the reporter was crazy for speaking like that. But in Miami, you understand. And that's why I can :rofl: about it. :lol:

Just FYI for those who aren't familiar with it.....JT and Wale usually destroy the OTs in shorts and shirts. It's almost not fair. Things even out a little bit more in pads (although our All-Pro DEs still get the better of the OTs). But in minicamps, JT is pretty much unstoppable.

Thanks for the reports bro!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Ozzy said:
What's up Dolphins fans,

I've been dying to see some FOOTBALL, which is something I probably say every year.

So lets start with the disclaimer section. This is a Qb/Mini Camp, and there are no pads whatsoever. So take my words with a very coarse grain of salt. There is no way to give a true assessment of the LOS, because there is no hitting at all, only lineman getting in the way the best they can of the oncoming D-lineman. And these are only one persons opinion, which could very well be different from another's.

The offense will get the longer look in this report.

And I'll tell you this. Today Wanny was totally letting the offensive coaches do their thing. And they are totally different personalities out there. Running around, and yelling all over the place. It also seemed that there were more bodies out the coaching than last year, with a different coach for each group to go along with a helper or two for him. Spielman was out there on the field as well, pretty much all by himself thruout. I liked what I saw from their enthusiasm.

OK lets do a small take on the Offensive Line. This could end up being one heck of a unit but I think it's going to take a lot of time. These are some big, young bodies out there.

First round pick Vernon Carey looks like he is in great shape, hardly showing a belly for such a large man. Even with no hitting on the LOS, he was getting out there on some blocks, and I must say for his size he moves well. Although I missed his part in one particular play, Tony Wise screamed praise for him very loudly, and ran out to meet him with pats on the back. He worked mostly with the second team though, and there were quite a few times he looked lost out there. I can't wait to see him in some pads.

Jeno James is going to be a huge key on the Line (like any of us don't know this), and he looks to be taking it too task. It seem that on every play he steams back to the line, telling his mates to lineup. Could we have finally found a real leader for this line? BTW, I knew he was very good at pulling but it's even sweeter to see in person. Except the one time when he tripped over his own feet, or the foot of McKinney. He looked like a falling Elephant. This man also is HUGE!

St. Claire committed a false start, in which looked like he started the day before on the play. I'll reserve any harsh comments on him today, as they have only just begun.

Wade Smith sure had bulked up a bit, just like we have read in the papers here. And he was getting in JT's was as best he could today, only allowing JT to get a sack three times that I saw. It's clear though that he has been working his butt of, and I noticed a couple of times that his first step was pretty quick, also getting his hands right up of the jump.

Last one for today, this new draft pick, Hadnot, had best make this team, he is a huge man, and with time his size at Center could be a great plus. I'm liking what I'm seeing in that they have brought in some young bodies, that all weight well over 300 pounds, all except McKinney. Hadnot supposedly brings a nasty attitude as well, so once again, I'm dying to see him in pads as well.

How about some Qb's?

Well, it is painfully obvious that this is a new system to A.J. Feeley. He was way off the mark today, and looked totally lost almost thruout practice. Hey I'm pulling for him as much as anyone, but lets face it, he has much to learn. He was missing easy passes to Rb's out in the flat, and was throwing the out patterns behind the Wr, almost everytime. I'll say this though, he has a very strong arm, not stronger than Sage, but his gun is loaded. Lets give him a few practices, and I'm sure there will be marked improvement. BTW, while they were just playing catch on the other field, he was much more accurate, and calm was very noticeable. And his out pattern throws look very very good.

Sage also was off the mark a lot today. As we know he is the gun slinger of the group, and three times he had a chance to hit long homeruns, only to overthrow the ball way over the Receiver's head. All against a pretty stiff wind I might add. But on a comfort level he is just head and shoulders above AJF.

Now Fiedler, he was putting the ball dead on the money thruout the whole practice, and even clicked on a nice 50 yard strike. A very sweet pass I might add. He also was hitting the Rb in the flat to perfection. Crossing patterns looked excellent, with his only real problem pass, being that dreaded 20 yard out. He was still completing them though. Jay was in the mood today, that's for sure. As much as I' ve criticized him before, I also think he deserves my praise when it's due.... Good job today!

The fourth Qb throws just like Brian Griese IMO, but he plays Fetch the ball very well.

OK now the Wr's

I had to take a couple of looks to see if David Boston was wearing pads under his T-shirt! The guy is a monster, and his arms are the size of my darn legs!!! He is impressive, and lets pray, he keeps his head on straight. He will be huge for this offense, making a lot of teams back out of 8 man fronts. His routes are so perfect! With a great burst, to go along with these new rules, teams corners are going to have to back off him, and provide someone else, to at the very least, keep an extra eye on him. He did drop two passes, and had one nice catch.

McMichael made three real nice catches right off the bat, all from Fiedler. He is like a Wr out there playing TE.

Chambers had a couple of catches, one where they lined Konrad out deep with Chambers locking up with a Lb. It was a short pass, one that with one missed tackle, goes a long way.

Darrius Thompson had one real sweet catch coming back in an instant on a slightly underthrown ball by Feeley. And from my count had two more, with one dropped ball. And he was scolded (loudly) by one of the offensive coaches as well, for not coming back to the ball when the Qb was in trouble and had moved out of the pocket.

Tolver made two reaching receptions on out patterns, showing what we all already know, that he had very good hands. I think speed is what kills him though.

Simmons had a nice run after a catch, and I'm not 100% on this, but I noticed him stepping high when he walked, like he was kind of favoring the leg he broke last year.

Terrence Wilkens! Now I'm so used to seeing number 86 as a huge Wr, but now we have a midget wearing it. I don't know how these small men don't get killed out there, but he has lasted 6 years, so I guess he is all toughness. They worked him a lot today, and I'll tell you that with his speed in three wide situations, by moving Chambers in the slot, that's one fast fast trio! And I could see him burning the outside defenders in his future.

Minnis was quiet today.

Kendall Newsome is back.

But what I want to know is who is this number 34 guy? It took me a few plays before I even noticed the biggest star on offense. The dreads will be missed, but at least now he won't get yanked backwards by the defenders he blows by. It's going to take some getting used to, that's for sure>

Konrad was getting a lot of looks in the three wide set and caught almost everything thrown his way.

OK, I'm way past the hungry stage, so I'm gone to get some Sushi! I'll be back later and fill in the rest. Please feel free to ask for something I might have missed.

Ozzy-

As always, thanks for the great detailed report. Us starving 'phin fans that are unable to attend minicamps GREATLY appreciate it. How did Seth look at center? I assume he's lining up at center right now.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's so much to talk about, I don't even know where to begin. Plus I'm beat. :lol:

But I especially dug the stuff about the offensive coaches being all over the place and vocal. Lets coach those boys up and keep them riled up.

Boston's route running is especially cause for giddy excitement. I mean, the guy is blazing fast and enormous. But when somebody like that runs precise routes, it's almost unfair.

The OL is also of great interest and will be analyzed all year. Hearing hints of Jeno James becoming a leader on this OL gives you a lot of hope. This is a veteran guy in his prime who's been to the big show. His team came up short. And it sounds as if he's indeed hungry to get back there in a hurry. And he'll do whatever it takes to make sure everyone else is on board. As Ozzy mentioned, this offense needs leaders. Especially the OL. If we can get that leader up front, along with all the nasty attitudes we've brought in, things could really be great for us late in the year after things have gelled. Just in time for the stretch run.

Muck said:
There's so much to talk about, I don't even know where to begin. Plus I'm beat. :lol:

But I especially dug the stuff about the offensive coaches being all over the place and vocal. Lets coach those boys up and keep them riled up.

Boston's route running is especially cause for giddy excitement. I mean, the guy is blazing fast and enormous. But when somebody like that runs precise routes, it's almost unfair.

The OL is also of great interest and will be analyzed all year. Hearing hints of Jeno James becoming a leader on this OL gives you a lot of hope. This is a veteran guy in his prime who's been to the big show. His team came up short. And it sounds as if he's indeed hungry to get back there in a hurry. And he'll do whatever it takes to make sure everyone else is on board. As Ozzy mentioned, this offense needs leaders. Especially the OL. If we can get that leader up front, along with all the nasty attitudes we've brought in, things could really be great for us late in the year after things have gelled. Just in time for the stretch run.

Bro, stop it!!! I'm salivating at the mouth and will probably have wet dreams now.

Ozzy, thanks, I needed that fix. I've been trying to get on the site all day..I'm glad I finally made it, this report was worth the wait. Thanks to all..

Thanks Ozzy and keep the reports coming please. Can you tell me how Tony Pape looked?And since you're Ozzy, you rule tonite...lol

Ozzy rules!!

Finsflurry said:
Nice write-up, I thought Feely did pretty well when I saw him early on in the practice, but I had to leave kind of early so it sounds like he struggled later on. I agree with you about the arm strength, hope he plays like he did at the start today.

I'm not sure when it was when you left but if your talking about when they were throwing the ball on the secondary field, then yes, he did much better, but once the 8 on 8's started he was really struggling. He did complete some passes, but IMO I saw some of them as bad, or even slightly off.

Like I said though, it's great to have some differences. And I'll take what anyone says in difference with me, to the next practice and try to look at it a little different.

Muck said:
:rofl:

Normally, you'd cry or think the reporter was crazy for speaking like that. But in Miami, you understand. And that's why I can :rofl: about it. :lol:

Just FYI for those who aren't familiar with it.....JT and Wale usually destroy the OTs in shorts and shirts. It's almost not fair. Things even out a little bit more in pads (although our All-Pro DEs still get the better of the OTs). But in minicamps, JT is pretty much unstoppable.

Thanks for the reports bro!!

Well, I read this and busted out laughing myself. So true, so true.

You are going to make it over here at some point right?

Lord, I don't know who to believe about the QB's. Some say Feeley looked great while Jay was off, and others say Jay looked great while AJ was off. What the hell???

Also, Ozzy, you said Minnis was quiet today. Two other people said that he cought a nice 50 yard bomb from Feeley in stride.

I'm about to lose my marbles.

For those whom gave thanks, and even for those who don't, trust me when I tell you, your all very welcome, but the pleasure is mostly all mine. I get it live and in color.

These reports are the least us Miamians can do........

:D

Oh trust me, I'm not being ungreatful, I am so happy I have a site like this where nice fans can give us info, I'm just saying I'm going crazy from hearing conflicting reports from all over.

Ozzy said:
Well, I read this and busted out laughing myself. So true, so true.

You are going to make it over here at some point right?

Hope so. Can't see missing out this year. Training camp looks like my best/only chance. Gotta wait till there are Sunday sessions (my day off). So I'll probably take a Saturday off one week and shoot on down for a few.

My boss called RayJay today about a luxury box. Hopefully if we get one, I'll be at the preseason game vs Tampa.

DolphinDevil28 said:
Lord, I don't know who to believe about the QB's. Some say Feeley looked great while Jay was off, and others say Jay looked great while AJ was off. What the hell???

Also, Ozzy, you said Minnis was quiet today. Two other people said that he cought a nice 50 yard bomb from Feeley in stride.

I'm about to lose my marbles.

I don't know about that. The only bomb I saw hit in stride was by Fiedler. There was one that I kind of missed while I was on the phone, I saw the catch, and it looked in stride, but the Wr made it look that way, and it very well could have been Minnis. And I did not know it was that long.

Sometimes plays go pretty fast, and anyone can miss a few, thats for sure. But as for the people that said Fiedler was off, that's something I would be willing to argue all day long. He was dead on. And remember that I'm more than willing at times to hang Fiedler.

Feeley did hit a couple of passes, and I would be more willing to let that go as being what one person saw was what one person just saw a little different. But not all of it. He overthrew a lot of passes, and missed the mark more than hit it.

Back
Top Bottom