Campbell the new Doug Williams? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Campbell the new Doug Williams?

I think Campbell will be gone before the late 2nd or early 3rd. I like this guy and wouldnt be upset if we took him but I think Id rather get a lineman or safety in round 2 and a QB later.

Doug Williams was a marginal NFL QB. He won a SB with Joe Gibbs, as did Mark Rypien. From what I've read he has trouble reading defenses.
No thank you. I would rather have a guy with less of the physical skills i.e Bob Griese, Joe Montana; rather than a rocket armed stiff like Jim Drunckenmiller.

fishypete said:
This article is from ESPN....I'm posting it here so Dolphin fans can see that you don't need to be taken with a 1st round pick to be a talented QB and player.
For us that are older....you may be reminded as I was of a black QB that played for Tampa....Doug Williams. Campbell reminds me of Williams....size and strength.
Doug Williams had a very strong arm....and could throw with just a flick of his wrist....just like Campbell....throwing 60 yards flat footed is very impressive...even thought most throws in a game are less than 20 yds. I see no reason why Campbell wouldn't fit a system used by the Dolphins...and taking him in the late 2nd or early 3rd round would make sense. I have to assume that Saban knows him...since he's a SEC QB....and he's as close as you will find to the Vikes QB...in this draft. I hope you enjoy the article;

"Truth be told, Campbell, a steady performer his first two seasons but a guy who made a quantum leap in terms of overall grasp of the position in the past two years, has already been a pleasant surprise for scouts. At 6-feet-4 3/4 and 227 pounds, he still moves well, and he posted 40-yard times in the 4.69-4.75 range on Monday and had a vertical jump of 38 inches.

From a demeanor standpoint, Campbell might not appear quite as fiery as Greene, but teammates insist there is a raw emotion simmering not too far below the surface. While he has a yes-sir/no-sir kind of makeup, Campbell is definitely a leader, a bright youngster who overcame the handicap of playing for four different offensive coordinators, and in four disparate systems, over the course of his career.

It was under the tutelage of Al Borges, who installed a West Coast-style offense in '04, that Campbell really blossomed. He completed 69.6 percent of his attempts last season, threw for a career-high 2,700 yards, and registered 20 touchdown passes while throwing just seven interceptions. Even before Borges' arrival, though, Campbell was deceptively accurate, completing more than 60 percent of his passes every season.

A notable statistic: While Campbell isn't considered as accurate or fine-tuned as Greene, his worst season in terms of completion percentage (61.8 in 2003) is better than the best completion mark (60.3 in '03) that the former Georgia star posted as a four-year starter.

On Monday morning, standing at midfield, Campbell lofted several 60-yard bombs while flat-footed, a feat that did not escape the notice of the scouts assembled at Auburn. "He is a kid whose stock definitely rose [Monday]," saidAtlanta Falcons quarterback coach Mike Johnson."

Theres a lot more to being a successful NFL quarterback than being able to flick the ball 60 yards with ease, Jeff George proved that. its much more cerebral.

Doug Williams, who I remember very well being old enough and from the Tampa Bay area had all the physical talent in the world.

Doug Williams however was a good example of how talent alone is not good enough, especially at the QB position. Doug was never quite there mentally as far as what you want in an NFL Quarterback, his career in Tampa was mediocre and he might have slipped off into total oblivion had he not been a backup on a Washington team and gotten that one chance to come off the bench where he had the half of a lifetime.

He has lived off that one half ever since, but he really didn't have a successful long consistent career at all, he had a half of football when he was hot at the right time.

What I see in the top two quarterbacks, and I'm not saying Campbell doesn't have it, I'll leave that to Saban to determine, is two highly intelligent QB's who have the kind of intangibles you look for.

saban_era said:
nice to know there are a bunch of racists here

Where did the race card get thrown ??

This guy is a project, as is Orton and Greene...he has the physical skills, but not the instincts...(can you say Drukenmiller or Banks or Dean May)....It will be interesting if Greene, Campbell, and Orton are available in the 3rd round when we pick (assuming no trades)...I really don't see Saban taking Smith or Rodgers with #2...too much of a gamble....But, look out for a possible surprise on day two of the draft since we have the 2nd pick of the day...that pick could surprise us with a QB that doesn't get drafted day one...even if it is a stretch...

He's very athletic and has a strong arm, his wonderlic was a 14 (he took it a second time and received a 28- Aaron Rogers:35 Alex Smith:37/40)

Campbell=Quincy Carter. The phyiscal talent is there, but he's up and down and can't read a defense to save his life.

BlueFin said:
Theres a lot more to being a successful NFL quarterback than being able to flick the ball 60 yards with ease, Jeff George proved that. its much more cerebral.

Doug Williams, who I remember very well being old enough and from the Tampa Bay area had all the physical talent in the world.

Doug Williams however was a good example of how talent alone is not good enough, especially at the QB position. Doug was never quite there mentally as far as what you want in an NFL Quarterback, his career in Tampa was mediocre and he might have slipped off into total oblivion had he not been a backup on a Washington team and gotten that one chance to come off the bench where he had the half of a lifetime.

He has lived off that one half ever since, but he really didn't have a successful long consistent career at all, he had a half of football when he was hot at the right time.

What I see in the top two quarterbacks, and I'm not saying Campbell doesn't have it, I'll leave that to Saban to determine, is two highly intelligent QB's who have the kind of intangibles you look for.

Blue....you forgot one item....he played on a lousy team. Steve Young had the same problem....and he won with a team that had talent.

jlfin said:
Doug Williams was a marginal NFL QB. He won a SB with Joe Gibbs, as did Mark Rypien. From what I've read he has trouble reading defenses.
No thank you. I would rather have a guy with less of the physical skills i.e Bob Griese, Joe Montana; rather than a rocket armed stiff like Jim Drunckenmiller.

Marginal NFL QB....And I suppose Steve Young was Marginal too? Both played QB on the worst football team in NFL history.

Would we even be talking about the Williams vs Campbell if they both
were'nt black? I mean really.

KB21 said:
Campbell carries a buyer beware tag. He's an amazing physical talent, but up until this season, he simply hadn't put everything together. He still hasn't shown that he can carry a team either, which is what some of the other quarterbacks have done.

I like him as a prospect, but I wouldn't take him too high. If he were to be drafted by Miami, I believe Linehan could do the same for Jason as he did for Daunte Culpepper in Minnesota.

Keith....please explain " not putting everything together". Campbell played under four different O.C.'s...four different systems....and still had a better comp rating than Greene's best (69.6%). He's a four year starter and has improved each year. While he's not the smartest nut to fall off the tree...neither was Bradshaw, D. Williams or Farve. While we would like all young people to be intelligent...thats not always the case...and frankly I believe it's totally over-rated for a QB in todays game....most QB's don't call the games...the O.C.'s and headcoach's call the plays....perhaps only a small handfull do today...as per Manning. I totally agree with your comparison...and as I stated in this thread itself, Campbell with Linehan's teaching....would blossom into a darn good QB...perhaps with his tools, the better QB of this draft. If one looks at what Saban stated....he's looking for a QB to develop...not a QB that will come in the first day....thats why he brought in Frerotte to be a safety valve...and also a mentor. GO PHINS!

Den54 said:
Would we even be talking about the Williams vs Campbell if they both
were'nt black? I mean really.

Yes both are black QB's....both had great talent....and both compare in many ways to each other. We would be lucky if Saban drafts Campbell.

fishypete said:
Yes both are black QB's....both had great talent....and both compare in many ways to each other. We would be lucky if Saban drafts Campbell.

Yeah I guess it was just a coincedence.
Hey I wonder is Bua could be the next John Lynch? :lol:

IMO both Campbell and Frye have a problem with locking in on a target and not reading defenses. Along with accuracy, I consider this one of the most important requirements for success. Some (very few) learn to do it but IMO this is the primary reason physically gifted QBs fail. This is not a skill everyone can learn. It's not really intelligence. It's the way your brain processes information. If you don't show that ability in college then there is no guarantee (or even reason to believe) that you can do it in the pros. This is why I believe the junior QBs are so much more likely to succeed. They have already shown they can see the field and make the proper decisions.

Back
Top Bottom