Can sage play in the NFL???? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can sage play in the NFL????

Joe M. Omma

Practice Squad
Reaction score
the thing about rosenfels that worries me is that he looks like what an nfl qb should look like.

i know that sounds odd, but think about it.

when people draft qbs after the first round they don't draft garcias and fiedlers. they draft guys who are tall with a strong arm.

those guys seem to flop often, because they weren't picked because of their ability to play qb but for aesthetics and the hope that they can one day play qb.

sage looked good in washington, although he got cut from that team and they had no qbs. (outside of ramsey) but, he doesn't have great numbers in college. i don't know of too many qbs who had average or worse numbers in college and then were huge in the nfl.

He sure can play in the NFL better than Ray Lucas, Ill guarentee that!

I think he has a chance at being our future QB. I've seen him in practice, and I liked him a lot. Plus, he hasn't learned the system fully. Give him some time, and I think he will be the answer. But u never know

I wish we had gotten him before training camp so we didn't waste snaps on Lucas, Kustok, and Levcik... and who knows, if he had looked good Wannstedt might have given him a chance when Ray lost 2 games, saving us at least one...

He looked good in the preseason games he played in Washington, they blew it by giving up on him...

At this point I don't see Sage turning out to be anything. He lacks the one thing young quarterbacks need to survive, POISE. If he had the poise of a young QB like Tom Brady than I would think he would have no problems. He appears to have all the tools and size, but he just doesn't look like he has it mentally. Yes he's a young kid, and yes he's only thrown 3 passes (non of which were complete) and yes he's never been given the opportunity to start, he just looked like a deer in headlights when he was in. He looked scared and indecisive. His objective seemed to be not to turn it over, rather than try to do something. I hope i'm wrong though.

It would be nice to have one of those games back. Anybody else believe that if we don't fumble the ball right back to Buffalo in Rays first game right after Marion stops their fake punt that Lucas might have been as good as we hoped he was? We might have won all those games Ray started if he hadn't got slammed on that reverse. It's a big maybe, but I think that play turned Ray Lucas confidence off like a water faucet being shut off.

he should be our 2nd string next year, i have a feeling he will be something special!!!

I don't think anyone can say he isn't going to be anything and have any substance behind it. We just haven't seen the kid. And hasn't had a chance.

If you're basing it on 3 plays on Monday Night with the team backed up against it's own end zone without it's starting WRs against a salivating defense with the momentum in freezing weather......I'm sorry, but it's a misguided basis for evaluation.

As for Iowa State, they aren't really known as a football powerhouse. They're decent this year at 7-6 (with Seneca Wallace). But Sage did lead them to their first ever win in a Bowl game.

And his prep and collegiate career show that he has the potential to be exactly what we're looking for in Miami: Jay Fiedler with an arm.

In Iowa State's offense, they like their QBs to be athletic and be able to make plays with their arms and legs. Sage threw for 2300 yards and 8 TDs and RUSHED for 381 yards and 10 TDs his senior year. That's 4.9 ypc compared to Wallace's 3.2. He did throw 12 INTs that year. And I can't speculate how many came on bad decisions, poor throws, or tipped balls/bad routes. But it's probably something he can improve upon.

Also like Fiedler, Sage was an outstanding athlete in high school. From his NFL.com bio....

"At Maquoketa (Iowa) High School, he completed 76 of 148 passes for 1,122 yards and ten TDs as a senior. As a kicker, he converted 20 of 23 PATs and averaged 36 yards punting. He finished with 2,126 passing yards and 20 TDs overall. He earned three letters in basketball, three in baseball and four in tennis. He was seeded No. 1 in tennis and compiled a 40-6 record. On the basketball court, Rosenfels averaged 20 points, twelve rebounds and seven assists and posted eight triple-doubles. In track, he qualified for the 4x200m and 4x400m state relays as a senior."

And like Fiedler again, Sage is very intelligent and was an excellent student in college....where he was garnered numberous Big 12 academic awards. He was also an honor roll student every semester in high school.

Finally, Sage is well grounded....married with a son. Sounds like he's got the tools. Now all he needs is time and experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from Iowa and saw Sage play a lot. I am a Hawkeye fan so didn't really give Sage a chance, yet every time I counted him out he played a great game. He is the son of a football coach so he reacts to situations pretty well. He plays with in the system and the game situations better than people give him credit for.

I don't think that he will be superstar or anything, but he will be a good career back up. He is smart and has strong arm. He plays like a quicker Brad Johnson. Throws good 15-20 yards slants and out passes. Honestly, he wasn't called on to throw the deep ball at ISU so I can't really give an opinon on the deep ball. If given the chance Sage will suprise a lot of people.

I don't see anything in him right now. He doesn't have poise, or the ability to make his teammates better. The whole team looked nervous when he was in. The young QB's who've done a decent job have found a comfort zone and believed in their abilities.

I doubt Sage makes it and hope we draft Kyle Boller with our 2nd rd pick unless a guy like George Foster falls to us. A LT with size and a mean streak.

He threw 3 passes in a blowout against an all-out rush. How can you say he lacks poise or the ability to make others better in 5 plays of action??

Are you basing this on his college career (watching him), or on 5 plays??

ISU was great at the beginning of the year, but then Wallace started to suck and the team sunk with him. They lost their season finale to UConn, and will be playing Boise State in the Humanitarian Bowl, and I think Boise State will murder them.

As for Sage, I can't judge him, but the fact that he threw more interceptions then touchdowns his senior season is a bad sign.

Back
Top Bottom