Can sameone explain me this strategy? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Can sameone explain me this strategy?

max68

Practice Squad
Reaction score
We pick at #46 Matt Roth but we add via FA 2 goods DE (Carter and Hollyday)
we pick in the 5th round an OT
if we needed an OT why we haven't pick Kalif Barnes at #46

Because Hudson Houck made a serviceable starter out of a 7th round OL pick in San Diego last year (Shane Olivea), and Saban believes you get cheap OLs and develop them with good coaching rather than putting all your cap money into the OL (same as New England). If Houck can develop a quality starter at LT out of a late 5th round pick that'll be a coup.

Roth will be your favorite player within 2 years.

Miami has plenty of young offensive linement. Miami has very few young defensive ends

There was a lot of discussion on the board about this on Sunday. Here's what I wrote then:

Why would we go three Defensive front players and only one O-lineman in the fifth round?

Our offensive line is very young. The average experience of the top 12 linemen - 3.25 years. This is before the draft.

The defensive front 7 is the opposite. The average experience of the top 12 in the front 7 is 8 years. Among starters: Carter (11 yrs); Chester (7); Bowens (12); Taylor (8); Thomas (9); Seau (15).

Saban realized that while Carter and Holliday are going to give us depth at DE and DT for the next year or two, he has to start getting younger in the front 7. That's not the only reason we went with Roth and Crowder, as well as Vickerson, but it's one of them. I think it was smart.

The thing I think we have to see is that we cannot rebuild every area in one year. And, He's not necessarily trying to get better at the weakest spot just for next year. He's trying to get younger and recognizes that there's a lot of age on defense. This is the Belichick model that he's following, if you listen to his press conference.

Back to the OL - I think we have a lot of talented youth on the OL that can get much better with the improved coaching (Houck)/scheme/offensive system etc. that are now in place. That's what Saban believes and I think there's good reason to believe this. The OL WILL be better. Even if it doesn't improve dramatically, he can make more improvements next year and now he has some youth to step in on the defensive front.

This wasn't going to be a completely re-vamped SB contending team in one year anyway.

max68 said:
We pick at #46 Matt Roth but we add via FA 2 goods DE (Carter and Hollyday)
we pick in the 5th round an OT
if we needed an OT why we haven't pick Kalif Barnes at #46

Because Khalif is known as a soft player, like Wade Smith, you won't see those type of players get drafted in the Saban era.

You will see high-motor football players, that is why he will eventually win.

Da 'Fins said:
There was a lot of discussion on the board about this on Sunday. Here's what I wrote then:

Why would we go three Defensive front players and only one O-lineman in the fifth round?

Our offensive line is very young. The average experience of the top 12 linemen - 3.25 years. This is before the draft.

The defensive front 7 is the opposite. The average experience of the top 12 in the front 7 is 8 years. Among starters: Carter (11 yrs); Chester (7); Bowens (12); Taylor (8); Thomas (9); Seau (15).

Saban realized that while Carter and Holliday are going to give us depth at DE and DT for the next year or two, he has to start getting younger in the front 7. That's not the only reason we went with Roth and Crowder, as well as Vickerson, but it's one of them. I think it was smart.

The thing I think we have to see is that we cannot rebuild every area in one year. And, He's not necessarily trying to get better at the weakest spot just for next year. He's trying to get younger and recognizes that there's a lot of age on defense. This is the Belichick model that he's following, if you listen to his press conference.

Back to the OL - I think we have a lot of talented youth on the OL that can get much better with the improved coaching (Houck)/scheme/offensive system etc. that are now in place. That's what Saban believes and I think there's good reason to believe this. The OL WILL be better. Even if it doesn't improve dramatically, he can make more improvements next year and now he has some youth to step in on the defensive front.

This wasn't going to be a completely re-vamped SB contending team in one year anyway.

Great post

I think Roth was a great pick. I am just wondering why we picked up holliday if saban had thoughts of picking up a DE in the draft.

I think people forget that the draft is to build for the future, not the present. Holliday signed a 1 year deal and Carter signed what's basically a 2 year deal...that's not the future of this team.

Guys as what was posted, we were getting younger for the future. The other point is Saban will rotate Dlineman ALOT duing the games to keep them all fresh. So the better guys you have the better that rotation will be.

Nice post Da 'Fins.

Back
Top Bottom