Cap Room and Ricky Deal Article | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Room and Ricky Deal Article

Muck

Now completely imaginary
☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
Hey, it's by Pete Prisco....but our cap situation doesn't look so bad according to him. Also, the Ricky Williams deal looks bad for us. But it'll prolly be re-done or something. No way Speilman was that stupid.

Click Here

The people that are saying this is a bad deal for the Dolphins' know absolutely nothing about football's economics. It is a GREAT deal for the Dolphins'.

To me, it sounds like the incentives package was given to Ricky IN LIEU of a new deal. Ricky has a lot of pride and wants to be paid for his performance... so I don't think you will see us giving him a big deal with a huge signing bonus any time soon. Also, if he does reach the goals listed, it will mean he probably had an MVP-type year. And paying him $4.25 million next year would still be below market for what the top backs get paid. AND... the most important thing you have to remember about this deal is.... THERE IS NO SIGNING BONUS. What that means is... those HUGE numbers in 2004 and 2005 are meaningless. We are NOT stuck paying him that money even if he DOES reach those goals. If we need cap space... the deal can be restructured/voided and easily make it cap-friendly. Plus there are absolutely zero cap consequensces if we do so.

True, but each incentive is achieved throughout the deal. Meaning, if he reaches two incentives this year, the money he makes gets added toe ach year after as well. So any incentives he makes in those years add together with previous ones and so on and so forth.

It's a good deal for both sides but I think we were a bit too generous.

Originally posted by Phinstd

It's a good deal for both sides but I think we were a bit too generous.

If Ricky turns out to be the back we're hoping for..this is a steal..invite Marshall in,,see what Edge has already made..look at the new C. Martin numbers...no bonus check in this deal,,basically saying if you have a good year here's what you make next year..This is a prove it first, we'll pay for what you did deal..almost like what a contract should be...

12.5 mil is not a steal...and remember all those contracts you talked about can spread the bonus out over the life of the deal.

(That's what RW makes if he hits his incentives the last two years each.)

His base salaries are gonna get real large if he has good seasons.I guess he should be paid well and he is signed longterm now, but I feel we could have held out and gotten a better deal.

But all his year money is push into the next year..He'll probably avg around 4-5 mil a year..that's about right for a runner of his potential caliber...again..he has to make the incentives to receive the money..It's still on him basically.

Originally posted by Phinstd
12.5 mil is not a steal...and remember all those contracts you talked about can spread the bonus out over the life of the deal.

(That's what RW makes if he hits his incentives the last two years each.)

His base salaries are gonna get real large if he has good seasons.I guess he should be paid well and he is signed longterm now, but I feel we could have held out and gotten a better deal.

12.5 million is if the guy hits like 2000 yards rushing/1000 yards recieving, a buttload of TD's both rushing and recieving and so forth.

If he has like an amazing year at RB then heck he deserves it. I don't honestly see him getting more then $4-$5 million in the incentives and if they get outta hand then it's new deal time.

Plus, you are missing the whole point of my post. He will NEVER... I repea NEVER be paid a $12.5 million dolalr base salary, regardless of how he performs. He will be given a new deal before that time comes. But, the reason the deal is a good one for the team... is there are absolutely ZERO cap casualties if we decide to restructure his contract, or god forbid it... release him (who knows what injuries might crop up.)

Personally, I think it works out to nothing more than a two-year deal. If he performs well, we will let his contract stand for next year and pay him the $4.25 million. If he continues to perform well, than it will put us in a situation where in order to keep the cap under control we will have to restructure, and give him a more conventional deal. If he fails (not likely)... we pay him nearly nothing.

i agree with grooves...the dolphins didnt have to do anything with ricky right now but they showed good faith to him by getting it done.. remember ricky is a 25 year old franchise back...im more happy about the fact that we are 2m under the cap for next year and thats counting jt,sam,pat,zach and gardeners cap hit which combined is about 35 mil...

Dealing when incentive laden contracts can be tricky......LTBE and NLTBE bonuses are determined prior to the League Year. Thus, most of Ricky's bonuses should count towards next season. Miami's cap was NOT $71.101 million this season, it was actually $68,467,948 because of a $2,633,052 cap adjustment due to incentives that exceeded the LTBE that counted vs 2001 cap. Same thing can happen here.......thus don't put too much into the $2 million under in 2003 because the cap adjustment hasn't been determined.

Back
Top Bottom