Cap Room | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Room

finsnchips

2005 FinHeaven GM League Champion!!
Reaction score
We are meant to be in 'cap hell'.

We saved 10.32 million today by cutting Griese, Ruddy and Perry.

We save 8.5 million by restructuring JT and Zach

Cutting Jay would save another 5 million

Other restructures and releases will save us more.

There is no cap hell, and we have room to manouvre and make some big moves this offseason.

TO? Woody? not both of them, but they are really possible.

Well one of the first things we need to address is taking care of McMicheal & Chambers. We need to lock these guys up before they hit free agency. Based on what we are doing today I suspect Cap hell has just been postponed until next season.

I always say the same thing. Good teams find ways to get the players they want.
We are no different. You cut, you restructure, you do what you have to to get there.

There is NEVER any cap hell. We hear the same crap (mostly from Bills fans) every year, and every year we make it through and sign a few FAs.

Originally posted by finsnchips
We are meant to be in 'cap hell'.

We saved 10.32 million today by cutting Griese, Ruddy and Perry.

We save 8.5 million by restructuring JT and Zach

Cutting Jay would save another 5 million

Other restructures and releases will save us more.

There is no cap hell, and we have room to manouvre and make some big moves this offseason.

TO? Woody? not both of them, but they are really possible.

TO is out of the picture. WR will be addressed in the draft.
Woody and Villareal would be PERFECT signings.
While not in cap hell, we are still riding pretty tight. We still have a few of our own to resign as well (Hendricks, Freeman, Minor, Greenwood...) as our draft picks.
Fiedler won't save us anything if released or traded unless it is after June 1st, and then we only save a couple of million. Our best option with Fiedler is trying to get him to stay with a serious paycut. That is the only way Fiedler will save us $$$$$. Plus, he would make for nice insurance if Feeley doesn't get the job done or is injured. I think he will do fine, but the fact of the matter is Jay returning solidifies our #2 Qb situation and it is the only way to receive significant cap savings this year with his contract.

I thought we HAD to release Fielder before june 1st so we don't have to pay his bonus that he is going to get after june 1st.

Originally posted by fin-atic
I always say the same thing. Good teams find ways to get the players they want.
We are no different. You cut, you restructure, you do what you have to to get there.

There is NEVER any cap hell. We hear the same crap (mostly from Bills fans) every year, and every year we make it through and sign a few FAs.
It took a while, but I think pretty much all teams have figured out how to work the cap.
We're not gonna see anything like when the Ravens had to cut half their starters a couple years ago

Originally posted by Dol-Fan Dupree
I thought we HAD to release Fielder before june 1st so we don't have to pay his bonus that he is going to get after june 1st.

I believe it is an option bonus and we don't have to pay it. It would just mean that we were picking up 2006. I'm not sure though, where is CLUMP when you need him. Fiedler has a pretty confusing contract set-up. I'm pretty sure that releasing him before June 1st saves us practically nothing. We need him to stay and restructure to get cap relief.

I would like to actually see another article to back up that article, because I have heard much different during the season and before that.

I NEVER worry about the salary cap. Miami has always managed it pretty well and I expect that to continue.

I agree with whoever said that team have finally figured out the cap. Most teams know how to restructure and get under in time. Look at the Raiders, they were over by 40 mil last year and ended up cutting maybe two people and just restructured everyone. Granted they did lousy last year, but still it proves it can be done without dropping everyone.

Originally posted by unclemonty

Here is a link that backs up what I said:

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/8033512.htm

Going by clumpy's numbers if we cut Fiedler before 6/1 it looks like we get 1.17 in cap savings(4.8125 cap hit- 3.3375 dead money-.305 minimum salary). If we cut Fiedler after 6/1 we get 3.395 in cap savings(4.8125 cap hit-1.1125 dead money-.305 minimum salary) but 2.225 in remaining dead money is sent to the 2005 salary cap.
Also, clumpy stated somewhere the 2 million bonus is an option that if not paid changes Fiedler's contract from a 3 year deal to a 2 year deal. The 3.3375 in dead bonus money is changed from 1.1125 over 3 years to 1.66875 per 2 years.
Hope this helps.

I thought cutting Jay after June 1st would only save us about 2 mill???

Dolphins | Fiedler Won't Take Pay Cut - from www.KFFL.com
Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:22:03 -0800

The Miami Herald reports Miami Dolphins QB Jay Fiedler's agent, Brian Levy, said the Dolphins have asked Fiedler to restructure his contract and "he's not going to do that" according to Levy. "He would be happy to stay and compete for a starting job at his current salary. But he's not going to take a pay cut and help the team pay for getting a new starting quarterback . . . so I imagine he'll be cut by next week," Levy said. Cutting him after June 1 would save the team about $2 million in salary cap space, but cutting him before then wouldn't save the team any money against the salary cap this year.

If its 5 mill id be Happy!!

Corrections to the above: If Miami doesn't pay Fiedler the 2 million his cap hit would change to 5.36875 (3.7 million salary + 1.66875 dead bonus money) over 2 years instead of 4.8125 over 3 years.
This changes the pre 6/1 cap savings to 1.72625 (5.36875 cap hit-3.3375 dead money-.305 min salary). Post 6/1 cap savings is still 3.395 (5.36875 cap hit-1.66875 dead money-.305 mim salary) with 1.66875 in dead money forwarded to 2005.

As for my numbers, I'm only going by the salary cap information provided on this site by clump. If my numbers don't balance with others it has to be because of the 2 million bonus. Instead of being an option bonus it must be a guarnateed bonus. Pretty dumb on the Dolphins part.

Back
Top Bottom