Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for LT Branden Albert | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Situation - If Dolphins trade for LT Branden Albert

Do they? Keep on mind that teams get into cap hell all the time even tho they have people working in the FO that "should" know better. It happens all the time. Teams trying to win now and they start giving out big contracts like we've done this off season.

It does happen, but Miami appears to be in very good shape for at least the next couple years. I thought the Wallace contract showed a certain amount of foresight from the team's perspective. I don't know why he signed it, but I guess he figures that even if hes cut after two years he'll get another deal from someone and he'll walk away with 30 mil.

I don't know how you see it, but from my vantage point it sure looks like this offseason was planned a couple years ago, and these signings were made with 2015 in mind. I guess it is possible all this is a random accidental occurrence......somehow I doubt it.

I've seen you spewing this nonsense for quite some time now. As of right now the Fins have only $93 mill comitted to salary for 2014. Sure they will need to resign Jones and possibly Cogs or Jerry and Starks or Soliai as well as next years draft class, but to say they are facing cap hell next year is blatantly false.

I urge everyone to do yourself a favor and click on the link below to educate youself on what the Fins cap situation is for next year.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/3/...gency-2013-miami-dolphins-salary-cap-2014-cap

think its closer to 100 million... and thats only with 41 players under contract. right now looking at that number without realizing that its not even close to a full roster doesnt really put it into any perspective.

I've seen you spewing this nonsense for quite some time now. As of right now the Fins have only $93 mill comitted to salary for 2014. Sure they will need to resign Jones and possibly Cogs or Jerry and Starks or Soliai as well as next years draft class, but to say they are facing cap hell next year is blatantly false.

I urge everyone to do yourself a favor and click on the link below to educate youself on what the Fins cap situation is for next year.

http://www.thephinsider.com/2013/3/...gency-2013-miami-dolphins-salary-cap-2014-cap

also... something I may have been missing from that link you provided is the assumption that only the top 51 player contracts are counted towards the cap... that is only true during the offseason. once the season starts you account for every player on your roster, so looking at the 2014 season cap situation in regards to the top 51 rule only does you justice if you are looking at the offseason aspect of it.

think its closer to 100 million... and thats only with 41 players under contract. right now looking at that number without realizing that its not even close to a full roster doesnt really put it into any perspective.

Just wondering how do you get $100 mil, did the Fins add someone not on the list. The author of the post cleary breaks the contracts down as well as dead money and the total is just over $93 mil.

Off course the roster has only 41 players. The write up is taking into consideration who the Fins may want to or may not resign. Also this years and next years draft picks would still need to be added tothe roster which will more than likely, easily get the roster to 51.

The point of the write up is to prove to people that even with all of the FA signings this offseason the Fins won't be in cap hell next year causing them to have to either restructure or release players. Which it clearly does.

Not sure I see a real issue here. You don't need the whole 6 million to sign rookies right now. You can wait until after we clear 10 million on June 1st to sign the big money rookies. In fact, the first round draft pick usually doesn't sign until near training camp anyway.

I sincerely doubt Miami would trade for Albert without a restructured contract, and with it a fairly well structured first year cap hit.

also... something I may have been missing from that link you provided is the assumption that only the top 51 player contracts are counted towards the cap... that is only true during the offseason. once the season starts you account for every player on your roster, so looking at the 2014 season cap situation in regards to the top 51 rule only does you justice if you are looking at the offseason aspect of it.

I may be missing something here but you state during the offseason you only count the top 51 player salaries and during the season you only are allowed 51 players on the roster. What's the difference?

Or option 3.....don't make the trade and draft at OT in round 2. Our cap is going to be horrible next year with Wallace counting 17mill all by himself which is crazy. We can't afford to take on another big contract. If Ireland makes that trade then for sure he's forgetting about the future and he's trying to win noiw no matter what. I can understand him trying to win now since we haven't won in 40 years but this is very risky. If we don't win right now then we're back to having to cut pplayers again next off season and we'll start all over again. I'd just rather draft our own OT and go from there.

Ozzy rules!!

I like this idea

I may be missing something here but you state during the offseason you only count the top 51 player salaries and during the season you only are allowed 51 players on the roster. What's the difference?

I use overthecap.com for my cap numbers, I can take a quick look at the breakdown and the link you provided to see where there might be a discrepancy.

I'm pretty sure you are allowed 53 players on your active roster (not a huge difference over 51) but then you also have to take into account small hits such as practice squad, which usually takes up a million dollars over the course a season i think in cap usage.

What people are worried about with the cap usage in the next few years isnt the fact that there isnt space now... the problem is that lets say hypothetically (as the purpose of this thread is for) we trade for and sign Albert, and give him the giant extension he's commanding. I'm not going to speculate on the numbers, but obviously its going to be a large chunk of change. Now is there room next year to make this move, absolutely, anyone saying "we are in cap hell" in that regard just doesn't understand what's going on. The issue is, if this team does not win next year, and wants to start making roster moves... now you are stuck. The dead money + the cost of the replacement of the player you cut is going to make that kind of roster maneuvering extremely difficult.

I'm gonna take a look at the two 2014 calculations though and see if we can find a correct number (between the 93/100 in 2014 commitments.

Just wondering how do you get $100 mil, did the Fins add someone not on the list. The author of the post cleary breaks the contracts down as well as dead money and the total is just over $93 mil.

Off course the roster has only 41 players. The write up is taking into consideration who the Fins may want to or may not resign. Also this years and next years draft picks would still need to be added tothe roster which will more than likely, easily get the roster to 51.

The point of the write up is to prove to people that even with all of the FA signings this offseason the Fins won't be in cap hell next year causing them to have to either restructure or release players. Which it clearly does.

Quickly found the problem, the author of your article doesnt include the recent signings of Vaughn Martin (and his 2.35 mill cap hit), Nate Garner (and his 1.8 hit), and then i found a guy lee robinson, with 500k... im assuming your article didnt account for the later signings after the initial FA period started.

Right there, thats a quick almost 5 million unaccounted for taking it closer to 98 million

I use overthecap.com for my cap numbers, I can take a quick look at the breakdown and the link you provided to see where there might be a discrepancy.

I'm pretty sure you are allowed 53 players on your active roster (not a huge difference over 51) but then you also have to take into account small hits such as practice squad, which usually takes up a million dollars over the course a season i think in cap usage.

What people are worried about with the cap usage in the next few years isnt the fact that there isnt space now... the problem is that lets say hypothetically (as the purpose of this thread is for) we trade for and sign Albert, and give him the giant extension he's commanding. I'm not going to speculate on the numbers, but obviously its going to be a large chunk of change. Now is there room next year to make this move, absolutely, anyone saying "we are in cap hell" in that regard just doesn't understand what's going on. The issue is, if this team does not win next year, and wants to start making roster moves... now you are stuck. The dead money + the cost of the replacement of the player you cut is going to make that kind of roster maneuvering extremely difficult.

I'm gonna take a look at the two 2014 calculations though and see if we can find a correct number (between the 93/100 in 2014 commitments.

Good post. A couple years ago, the PS players made $5,000 a week. It may be $6k now but, included with the last two on the 53 man roster, it will be under $2M.

Next year, count on Wallace re-structuring his deal into a lot of guaranteed money being put into a signing bonus, which will be pro-rated over 4 years and not have the huge cap hit. Also, I doubt Soliai, Cog, and Starks will be here after this year. I expect a rookie or Samuda to take over for Cog, Soliai to be gone, and likely Starks, with a rookie in this draft taking one place, and Odrick the other. All in all, that will cut around $15M in cap space, with replacements deals.

In no way are we headed for cap hell.

Good post. A couple years ago, the PS players made $5,000 a week. It may be $6k now but, included with the last two on the 53 man roster, it will be under $2M.

Next year, count on Wallace re-structuring his deal into a lot of guaranteed money being put into a signing bonus, which will be pro-rated over 4 years and not have the huge cap hit. Also, I doubt Soliai, Cog, and Starks will be here after this year. I expect a rookie or Samuda to take over for Cog, Soliai to be gone, and likely Starks, with a rookie in this draft taking one place, and Odrick the other. All in all, that will cut around $15M in cap space, with replacements deals.

In no way are we headed for cap hell.

What you have to take into account though, is already we have roughly 5-6 of our defensive starters not on the books for the 2014 season, which obviously doesn't account into the 100 million dollars we already have tied up in 2014 commitments. What this means is 1.. we have to replace all though guys. Obviously the cheapest way to do that is to find capable starters in the draft, something we clearly havent been very good at. The other thing you have to look at is we have a monster extension (hopefully) coming for reshad jones which has to be figured in there.

My mindset for this whole situation is, with the cap most likely not raising up any higher, with us looking like we arent going to roll over very much cap towards next year, and us having to fill in the departing players with capable replacements... you cant just go out and sign proven guys in FA like we did this year (even if some of them arent proven).

Again, if this team wins... the cap situation should be okay, if this team as assembled now + drafting doesnt win games... we will be in cap hell. Because then the choice is either keep the players who arent helping you win games, or cut them to find better ones and bite the bullet with dead money. The potential restructuring of Wallace's deal is only guaranteed for 15 million next year, and after that its basically 10, 11.5, and 11.5.... restructuring his deal only puts off the issue that one player is eating up a ton of space, eventually that method catches up to you.. plus it sets a precedent on how you do business.

IMO, we arent restructuring his deal.

And just for reference.. 41 players under contract in 2014 right now with 100 million committed. Plus, lets assume 1 million for practice squad. plus 5 for draft picks next year (just averaged 4-6 as likely number), with limited to no roll over from this year..

You are looking at 106 million tied up in a 123 million dollar cap... with A LOT of roster holes. The way you alleviate that problem is good drafting.... adding a giant Albert $$ figure in there doesnt help one bit, and even though we can cut a few guys who dont have any dead money repercussions, the wiggle room is pretty damn tight

What you have to take into account though, is already we have roughly 5-6 of our defensive starters not on the books for the 2014 season, which obviously doesn't account into the 100 million dollars we already have tied up in 2014 commitments. What this means is 1.. we have to replace all though guys. Obviously the cheapest way to do that is to find capable starters in the draft, something we clearly havent been very good at. The other thing you have to look at is we have a monster extension (hopefully) coming for reshad jones which has to be figured in there.

My mindset for this whole situation is, with the cap most likely not raising up any higher, with us looking like we arent going to roll over very much cap towards next year, and us having to fill in the departing players with capable replacements... you cant just go out and sign proven guys in FA like we did this year (even if some of them arent proven).

Again, if this team wins... the cap situation should be okay, if this team as assembled now + drafting doesnt win games... we will be in cap hell. Because then the choice is either keep the players who arent helping you win games, or cut them to find better ones and bite the bullet with dead money. The potential restructuring of Wallace's deal is only guaranteed for 15 million next year, and after that its basically 10, 11.5, and 11.5.... restructuring his deal only puts off the issue that one player is eating up a ton of space, eventually that method catches up to you.. plus it sets a precedent on how you do business.

IMO, we arent restructuring his deal.

With the new TV deals, the cap will increase next year, just a question of how much. I have seen estimates from a low of $5M to a high of $15M.

I would bet that Wallace has already agreed to a re-structure with the signing bonus next yearwhich was not there in his current deal.

You also have to take into account that the team has 11 draft picks this year. That means about 7-8 guys will be on cheap rookie deals in 2014, accounting for realistically 5 million or so. Then you've got 20 million left over and 45 under contract....it's hardly crippling and easily the toughest cap year we'll have.

Back
Top Bottom