Cap Situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Situation

Fresh

☠️ Banned ☠️
Reaction score
2 Questions, cap freaks:

1.How far under thecap are we right now?

2.With the expected salaries of Wally, Moore, Tolver and the other rookies, how far under would we be?

:confused:

I would expect we would have nothing left other than whatever reserve is needed to cover potential injuries

Well, since you asked :D

I presently have ya approx. $2.5 million UNDER(I seen reports that you are about $1.8 million UNDER....discrepancy is due to differences in bonuses). Ogunleye counts $375,000 on the cap because it's a tender offer, but it's appears that he will get a 1 yr incentive laden deal. The incentives are likely to be NLTBE because you really do not have much cap space right now, thus they will add to the 2004 cap if he exceeds 2002 performance.

I worked this out a little over a week ago, but we will re-visit :D

From previous post:

2003 draft choices: it appears that the amortization/other bonuses for the Fins 2003 draft choices can be no more than $757,469 in 2003 (all players will sign for at least 3 yrs). Miami's 2003 rookie pool is $2,782,469. Miami drafted 9 players and if you take the minimum salary for rookies of $225,000 and multiply by 9 you get $2.025 million. Subtract and you get $757,469. 5th rd pick, TE D. Lee, has $33,250 bonus amortization and 6th rd pick DB/LB Jenkins has $24,964. That equals $58,214, thus leaving $699,255 for the remaining 2003 picks. (NOTE: The UDFAs count $37,500 in each 2003 and 2004 and I'm not sure if that amount counts under the rookie cap. If it does, subtract and you get $661,755 remaining for 7 picks). Rest assured, I'll use $757,469 for both 2003 and 2004 because it's likely all 9 picks will be receiving the minimum salaries. It very likely that amortization/other bonuses will be higher in 2004 due to the inclusion of roster bonuses/option payments in order to be rookie cap compliant. Another point, 6th rd pick, DB Y. Bell, will not likely get a signing bonus since he's likely to be put on the PUP, but that basically makes his $225,000 rookie salary guaranteed. He will likely get a roster bonus in 2004. This increases the cap charge for 2004

Conclusion: Taking my number of about $2.5 million, subtract $700,000 for the remaining draft choice bonus amortization, you get $1.8 million. Still need to resolve Ogunleye's deal and I expect that his cap number will be a bit higher than $375,000 but not much.

Players will be released and that will free up some more cap space by the start of the season even with the fact that during the season, ALL players salaries count vs. cap (except players suspended or on NFI, etc). Every team will need cap space for the practice squad. ($5,000 x 5 players X 17 weeks= $425,000).

Does this answer your question?

Players will be released and that will free up some more cap space by the start of the season even with the fact that during the season, ALL players salaries count vs. cap (except players suspended or on NFI, etc). Every team will need cap space for the practice squad. ($5,000 x 5 players X 17 weeks= $425,000).

Does this answer your question?

this is the point i was going to make. when the cuts come, thats when more money for next year comes back into picture, or for add ons.

It all depends on who is released. Top 51 count now........once season starts, the entire roster of 53, plus PS, and any players on IR, etc. Someone like McKnight would need to be released in order to gain cap space, not one of the rookie FA.

Originally posted by Peanut
2 Questions, cap freaks:

1.How far under thecap are we right now?

2.With the expected salaries of Wally, Moore, Tolver and the other rookies, how far under would we be?

:confused:

Let me give it to you in Laymen terms:

"Dick all beyond injury replacement costs"

OK we wont be in cap jail if we release either one of the QB's next year, meaning Griese or Fiedler., or restructure both of there contract.. also tim ruddy i think his contract would be up but if not he will get released.. same goes to other players that kill our cap..

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
I know how to get this thread going..........Cap Jail in 2004 :)

You said samething this offseason and the Fins did a great job with the roster.

Ahh

What Clumped means is that we don't understand that when he says 'cap jail,' he means to imply good things. Normally we'd think jail would be a bad thing, but for those of us ( like him ) that truly understand the cap, we'd immediately know it indicates we can sign a bunch of awesome free agents and lose no starters.

Clump, we may not understand the cap but our FO does. That is how we have all 22 starters from last year back plus Sammy Knight, Junior Seau etc. :)

Back
Top Bottom