Cap Update(3/1) | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cap Update(3/1)

BuffBillsMan90

is Clumpalicious!!
Reaction score
Good Morning

I thought I would present a quick look of your cap situation as I presently have it. I have taken one liberty, I have tendered all remaining RFAs and the last EFA OL Jerman. Those amounts are:

DE Ogunleye: 1st & 3rd at $1.824 million
LB Greenwood: minimum tender(3rd rd pick) at $628,000
RB Minor: minimum tender (3rd rd pick) at $628,000
QB Rosenfels: minimum tender (5th rd pick) at $628,000

OL Jerman: $380,000

When adjusted for top 51 the total cap charge is $2.863 million.

I have removed all of the following players from my cap spreadsheet:

OL: Ruddy, Perry, Dixon
WR: McKnight
DB: Marion, Fletcher, Gamble
QB: Griese

I have included the following signings and restructures:

Re-signed EFAs: RB Henry and DT Romero each to 1 yr deals worth $380,000. Romero has $150,000 incentives most likely to be NLTBE and potentially apply to the 2005 cap adjustment

Restructured: DT T. Bowens, DT Chester, K Mare, LB Z. Thomas, DE J. Williams

What's the tally? I presently have ya approx. $5.2 million under (with a $1.5 million estimate for cap adjustment). I also have your "dead cap" at approx. $6 million :eek:

Not included yet: Deals for Feeley and Freeman; DE D. Bowens and WR D. Thompson restructures.

Thus, in order to do some shopping and re-sign your own UFA's, Miami have the following players available for restructures/pay cuts/release/extensions:

QB Fiedler: apparently going to stay with a restructured deal. may even have a year added to spread out the signing bonus. Still a candidate for release or trade

CB Madison: He should only be a candidate for pay cut/trade/or outright release. An extension would be a mistake as he already has 4 yrs remaining with huge cap numbers.

DE Taylor: i would not extend or restructure but he remains available.

CB Surtain: This is who Miami should be working on an extension for. A "simple restructure" would be OK as he only has 2 yrs remaining.

RB Williams: Extend his contract and get rid of that salary escalator clause but the cap savings would depend on the signing bonus amortization assigned to 2004.

LB Seau: could be a candidate for release or asked to take a pay cut or waive a roster bonus

Last edited by a moderator:
ahhh...gracias señor clump

now, what would be potential savings with the extension of Surtain, release of Seau(which i dont see likely) and extension of williams?

ahh the closet-case Dolphins fan with some fine monetary calculations :)

thank you Clumpy clump

Ricky Williams

He has a salary of $3.735 million. The minimum salary for his number of credited seasons is $535,000.

$3.735 million -$535,000=$3.2 million. He has 3 yrs left, so if you did a "simple restructure" (i.e. conversion of salary to bonus/guarantee portion of the salary), that $3.2 million would be spread out over 3 yrs at $1.067 million/season and the cap savings would be $3.735 million -$535,000 - $1.067 million= $2.133 million.

More cap savings could be found if that $3.2 million was spread out over more seasons BUT an extension would likely require additional bonus money.

Also, doing this adds $1.067 million amortization to each of 2005 & 2006 and that can not ever be changed.

:confused:

nah im playing, i think i followed that. so money can still be found...I would love to see Ricky get an Extension, but that probably wouldnt happen until next year huh?

I read somewhere earlier that the O-gun tag would be 1.91 million. I figured it was 1.83, since thats what ive read ealier, but do you have any idea where that came from?

oh and thanks, i think im actually beginning to figure out what ammortize, restructuring, and garaunteeing means when related to the cap :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
ah okay...it was here

about 1/3 of the way down the page, a few lines under the picture. It says 1.94 though...

The tenders were announced by the NFL as $628,000, $1.368 million, and $1.824 million. I do not know where $1.94 million came from

thanks clump. you are the only bills fan i have respect for now. a huge accomplishment.

Sammy Knight

Will also have some sort of re-structure or extension, his number is too high. He has one yr left and has some sort of bonus due
(assuming roster bonus) in the near future. He and Seau both should be extended and have thier 04 numbers reduced. With the recent purge of veterans and high turnover rate of the roster this year, I think both should and will remain due to thier leadership roles and to groom thier eventual replacements. Bell for Knight and Moore for Seau.

Seau has a long term deal already.

Knight could be extended cuz he only has one yr left but his cap number is not that bad for a starting safety.

I'm expecting to receive an update any moment now. :whip: :D

Back
Top Bottom