Carey cost: a first, a second, and a third... | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carey cost: a first, a second, and a third...

So in theory...if you traded with us...

You'd have had:

Bills second round pick this year
Your own 4th round pick this year (for not moving up a spot)
Bills fifth round pick this year
Bills first round pick next year

That's a lot to give up...but you'd have moved down 21 spots to do it and not gotten what I think is a really good player.

"Carey said the Patriots were one of the teams keeping him on the phone".

Sounds like more than a bluff to me....

"Scouts from a few teams confirmed that the Patriots attempted to trade up during the first round, once Ohio State defensive end Will Smith began sliding. The Patriots felt Smith would add not only depth but another dimension to their defensive front, and that getting him would permit Richard Seymour to log more snaps at tackle, where he remains a very tough matchup for opponents.

But while the Patriots failed in their trade-up efforts, the Super Bowl champions still came out looking good, because defensive tackle Vince Wilfork fell into their laps."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft04/columns/story?columnist=pasquarelli_len&id=1789271

"Let's face it," Dolphins coach Dave Wannstedt said. "The best player on our team and on offense is Ricky Williams. It's critical we give him as much help as we possibly can."

I completely agree. That's the same thing I've been saying all along.

Spikes said:
So in theory...if you traded with us...

You'd have had:

Bills second round pick this year
Your own 4th round pick this year (for not moving up a spot)
Bills fifth round pick this year
Bills first round pick next year

That's a lot to give up...but you'd have moved down 21 spots to do it and not gotten what I think is a really good player.

I think would have preferred a trade down as well. But I think RS's rationale was that Carey was the last stud Tackle in the draft, and a position that they identified as their #1 need.

From the sound of it, RS was never even considering an OG like Smiley. He was going OT all the way. What he COULD have done by trading down with the Bills was take the BPA in round 2 (a DT like Starks/Dockett, A WR like Henderson, or a SS like Sean Jones) and then nab a second-tier OT in round three, such as Nat Dorsey (who he was high on).

That would have given us much more depth, a few extra draft picks AND a first rounder next year. But it also would have come at the expense of a much weaker Offensive line this year. I see his dilemma, especially conisdering his reservations about the Bills agreeing to make a trade with a division rival.

I think what it boils down to is we wanted an OT, and we wanted someone that has the best chance of playing this year. We dont need to pick up a "second-tier" OT and let him sit. Carey was one of the Three we had pegged and we pulled the trigger. The only way we can tell if it was the right move is if Carey turns out to be a stud. If he sucks then we should have made the trade down to get the extra picks. The draft, for the most part, is a crap shoot. We were high on Carey and took him. Thats it.

Why do you think Nat Dorsey is still available?

Because teams know that he is very raw, and he has not improved any since his freshman season. There is an upside there, but he is far from ready to start as a rookie. Miami was looking to get someone that could compete for a starting job now. When looking at the tackles, you have Robert Gallery who is a man child that will line up as the starting left tackle for Oakland next week during their mini camp. There was no questions about him, and there was no chance Miami was going to get. Then you have Shawn Andrews and Vernon Carey, who were pretty much in the same group. Both were a pretty significant drop off from Gallery. Both have question marks about their weith and conditioning. Both are massive, strong, and powerful run blockers who are very good athletes for their size. Both are better off at tackle than at guard, IMO. There really is not much that separates the two if you base your evaluation of Carey off his junior season when he played right tackle for Miami.

After those two, there is a dramatic fall off in the talent availble at the tackle spot. Jacob Rogers was the next tackle picked, and he didn't go off the board till the late second round. Jacob Rogers is a guy who is a pretty good athlete, but he has durability issues and lacks overall strength. He looks like a future swing tackle to me that is good enough to back up both tackle spots but isn't good enough to be a starter at either spot.

Max Starks was the only other tackle taken on day 1. He's got great size, but he is clearly a finess tackle that isn't very good as a run blocker. He's a developmental prospect.

Then you drop to Nat Dorsey and Kelly Butler who are still available. Both are juniors that should have stayed in school.

I have to agree with RS here. I think it may have been a slight reach at picking Carey at the 20 spot, but right tackle is our #1 priority and Carey is the last stud RT left on the board. I like Snee and Smiley, but they are not versatile like Carey. Snee and Smiley are guards and that's it. Carey has played the tackle and guard positions, so that makes him interchangeable with the other linemen we have. Right now, the Fins aren't sure who will be best suited at the RG and RT positions, but most of our linemen have played more than one spot on the line, which is a huge plus right now. It was the logical choice to make.

This just makes me want to vomit. In fact, I think I'm just going to have to forget I read it. What this means is that we passed up destroying Buffalo's draft next year to break draft rule #1 in drafting for need ahead of value. :(

Back
Top Bottom