carey dangerously close to making the list... | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

carey dangerously close to making the list...

thecoordinator said:
yeah but thats my exact point...he was a mid 1st rd pick. taking 4 years to judge him means that in terms of 1st round picks, he's a bust if he doesn't start this year, and atleast do a decent job.

No way dude. Not when the position is offensive line. He still has some growing up to do. No one should expect a 23 year old man to push around 28 and 29 men in their prime...

--Ross

thecoordinator said:
yeah but thats my exact point...he was a mid 1st rd pick. taking 4 years to judge him means that in terms of 1st round picks, he's a bust if he doesn't start this year, and atleast do a decent job.

nope, tackles take the longest to develop, especially LT. It's not every day you get a Jon Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, or even a Richmond Webb that can start at LT from day 1 and be great.

Hell Robert Gallery started the year at RT, and when he moved to LT he looked average at best.

Besides not only was Wise a horrible coach, but none of the offensive staff worked together unless it was game day (Rob Konrad confirmed this in a recent interview). If your getting horrible coaching, and not working with the other offensive units how do you expect someone to get better?

ChambersWI said:
nope, tackles take the longest to develop, especially LT. It's not every day you get a Jon Ogden, Walter Jones, Orlando Pace, or even a Richmond Webb that can start at LT from day 1 and be great

again, this is my point. we didn't need a project LT at #19. they (spielstedt and wannyman) thought carey could step right in and play and they were wrong. don't sit there and tell me they traded a 4th to move up 1 spot and get a guy they thought would be good in 2-3 years. there are plenty of those guys available later in the draft.

superphinfan said:
i say put him at center
Interesting you should say that. One, and only one, of the draft prognosticators voiced that opinion about Carey prior to the 2004 draft:

THE HUDDLE REPORT

Vernon Carey OL Miami

Strengths
Vernon can play any one of the offensive line positions. He has played
them in college and could play them all in the Pros also. Vernon is big,
strong, and quick, has excellent feet and is very smart. He shows leadership qualities and knows all the assignments of all positions on the line. He is equally as good in the passing game and the running game. Vernon has good lateral movement. He also has a quiet toughness and good stamina. Vernon is mature in his play on the field.

Needs to Improve
Vernon needs to get a little quicker and stronger. His lateral movement is good but not great. He is a good tackle, a better guard, but his best position in the pro’s might be the position that he has played the least in college and that is the center position. This will take a little time for him to develop if my instincts are correct. Vernon does not dominate his man at this time. Developing at just one position should make this negative go away.

Bottom Line
Vernon's growth as a dominating offensive lineman has been stunted because he is so versatile. Right now he has to think too much before he reacts. With this in mind he still is one of the best OL’s in this draft. Vernon is not your flashy type of lineman. He is very steady and does his job. I think that for the pro’s he might make a great center. That position would be where he would be the most impacting IMO. He has the temperament, leadership ability, and size along with quickness. He has good enough feet to block a MLB in the 4-3 and the power to handle a nosetackle one-on-one in the 3-4. I think that Vernon has the ability to re-define the center position to a new standard in the pros. Normally, if Vernon was dominant at one position, I would rate him as the second best offensive lineman in this draft behind Gallery. He is, at this stage, a very good lineman and a possible project at the Center position. Therefore, I have to rate him behind Andrews. I will be honest, if I was able to work him out for the Center position and he passed, I would rate him above Andrews. Then he would be a two or three position player and on my board it would move him in front of a limited one-position player. (See Andrews profile). Remember, I do not rate players according to profiles on other sites. I rate players to how well they play and how well their skills will translate to the pro game. I look at film all through the season and make my judgments based on that. Vernon will move up in this draft. He is a very safe pick and a player that a lot of teams will notice as we get closer to draft day. I believe on some boards he will be rated ahead of Andrews. On my personal board it will not take much for that to happen. Vernon is the most complete and best lineman to come out of the Miami program in years.

Drew Boylhart
http://www.thehuddlereport.com

Carey is close to making the list. I don't wanna write him off yet, but I don't think he'll end up starting this year, so where does that leave him? Hudson Houck is a very respected offensive line coach around the league, maybe Carey improves, but everyone else will probably improve. The thing that will make this pick a huge mistake is if Losman and Wilfork play well for the Bills and Pats, because both players were on the board at the time, and right now I would take either one of them ahead of Carey, but we'll see how it plays out.

Labeling him a bust now is ridiculous. Say he was cut this year. He could wind up as a pro bowl player 3-4 years from now with another team (probably the Pats). Many O-linemen reach their potential in the middle of their careers

jlfin said:
Labeling him a bust now is ridiculous. Say he was cut this year. He could wind up as a pro bowl player 3-4 years from now with another team (probably the Pats). Many O-linemen reach their potential in the middle of their careers

Look at it this way, I believe the point was if he can't start on possibly the worse offensive line in the league how good is he for a 1st rd pick? I'll relate it to a Ronnie Brown, if Lamar Gordon starts ahead of him, this year and beats him out next season, would you label him a bust? I would be very skeptical and would have alot of doubts about him.

Sanity check please............

He spent his only year in the NFL being coached under Wanny. Is it fair to judge anyone when the fault lies with Wanny's inability to bring stability to the team.

Center??? Put down the crack pipe! That's the most challenging job for an OL mentally. Let's just get the kid some confidence first.

Back
Top Bottom