Carey will cost 18 million for 6 years...Or Wilfork signs with the pats | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Carey will cost 18 million for 6 years...Or Wilfork signs with the pats

inFINSible

Don't believe everything you think.
Reaction score
That's what Vince got today from new england and since he's the 21st pick, I guess Carey will be right around there.

Hopefully, and reasonably, a little less than that.....

Wilfork signs with the Pats

jesus holy christ...i want to get 18 million when i become a rookie....:roflmao:

Jason Babin, who was taken by Houston with the 27th overall pick, is the only other first-round pick who has signed

An interesting note for all of you who are getting antsy that we haven't signed Carey.

*_*ADMIRAL*_* said:
jesus holy christ...i want to get 18 million when i become a rookie....:roflmao:
he only gets about half that guaranteed....but still, I feel ya.....I'd take about a tenth of that and never be seen again.

The Dolphins like to wait until a few draft picks have signed to have the slotting established. The Wilfork signing certainly helps establish that.

I guess it depends on how one interprets a contract. Wilfork would have to reach all his incentives to get $18mill. Like Infins said, only half of it is guaranteed.

This is from Len Pasquarelli
Wilfork, 22, will sign a six-year deal believed to be worth about $9 million-$9.5 million in "base" numbers, but which could eventually reach about $18 million if he cashes in on so-called "escalators" in the latter years of the contract. The signing bonus is $3 million but, counting a second-tier option bonus in 2005 and a roster bonus for this season, the bonuses total nearly $6 million.

I wonder why the Patriots are so unsure about the longevity prospects of Wilfork. Roster bonus for this year's salary, option bonus in 2005...a contract loaded with incentives and escalators...

...seems fishy. Oh well, the Phins will probably try something a little more straight forward since Carey is a lunch pail offensive lineman.

ckparrothead said:
I wonder why the Patriots are so unsure about the longevity prospects of Wilfork. Roster bonus for this year's salary, option bonus in 2005...a contract loaded with incentives and escalators...

...seems fishy. Oh well, the Phins will probably try something a little more straight forward since Carey is a lunch pail offensive lineman.
I guess it's the weight issue. He tends to go up and down. But they did give him a 6-year deal, rather than the typical 5-year deal that most rookies get at that slot (21st overall).

I wonder what Careys deal will be? This should be close to what it is I just hope it is for 6 years or more. If Wilfork got 18 with a 3 million dollar signing bonus I wonder what his cap hit for this year is?

LIQUID24 said:
I guess it's the weight issue. He tends to go up and down. But they did give him a 6-year deal, rather than the typical 5-year deal that most rookies get at that slot (21st overall).

I think Carey's in the same boat when it comes to weight issues, this will be interesting.

Since Wilfork was picked below Carey, Carey has no reason to accept anything less. If Speilman refuses to give Carey a bigger deal, I think we will see a holdout.

ckparrothead said:

It sure sounds like smart business.

Driven said:
It sure sounds like smart business.

Of course you think so. We're looking for opinions of people who have a shred of objectivity, not someone who is going to slap the "Good" label on everything Patriots.

ckparrothead said:

I think they look at Wilfork as a subsitute right now, figuring Traylor will start and why pay a big bonus and salary to someone who won't immediately start for them...but play into the rotation to gain experience. It's still first round money, but he's going to have to earn, which is how it should be..Traylor didn't have a lot of leverage with Traylor on board...Carey has some, because St. Clair isn't as highly recognized or should we say proven as Traylor..Had Todd still been here and we slotted Carey at RT, I think we could manuever more..but not with St. Clair..

ckparrothead said:

not sure about that. The Phins have had lots of trouble getting people to sign cause they want lots incentive-based clauses in deals.

I w/pay Carey what NE is paying Wilfork :cooldude:

Back
Top Bottom