Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet | Page 8 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet

FaninPatsyLand said:
I'm assuming this was directed at me, and if it was, I have no idea why.

I'm not complaining about the Yankees payroll at all. I just simply pointed out what a ridiculous notion it was to claim that the Red Sox and Yankees are on a level playing field when it comes to payrolls. It's not an excuse as to why the Red Sox have been teribble post All-Star break or anything, it's just a fact.

It's just asinine.

Nope, not directed at you. Just a general observation. I hear tons of Red Sox, Cubs, Mets, and other teams' fans complaining about payroll inequity when theirs are in the triple digits. Payrolls in the other major sports don't even approach that, with the exception of the ridiculous Knicks. I know there are 25 guys on a baseball team as opposed to 15 on a basketball or 20 on a hockey team, but football teams have 45+ plus players with notable salaries. I understand the landscape is different in each sport, but payrolls in baseball should be topping out at $100 million/team, give or take a little bit. That's giving the average player $4 million, a very reasonable amount, and it would return to the sport the affordable veteran free agent pickup. The Esteban Loaizas of the world shouldn't be making $7 million a year.

RWhitney014 said:
And just to nitpick, they won it for 14 straight seasons...they did not win the division in 1994 and would not have (the Expos would have, talk about changing history).

And the Expo's probably would've won the World Series IMO, they were easily the best team. Frank Thomas was on a tear that season along with maybe Griffey or some other player and their were discussions of them challenging 61 that year. As a White Sox fan I was extremely dissapointed in the strike I thought they would've beat the Yankees and taken the AL pennant.

Back
Top Bottom