Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Cashman: Yanks winners on field, losers in wallet

Finfan86 said:
This isn't the fastfood market, this is a professional sports league. Now i dont blame Steinbrinner spending the money, i blame MLB for not having a salary cap like NFL.
as you can see yankee fans don't look at baseball as a sport just a business to them

dob72 said:
its also easy to say when ur in the biggest market in sports i don't even think mikeo believe's his own bs he'll say anything to try to defend the way the yankees do business

its not just the yankees. :shakeno: Why can't you comprehend that!! Its the Dodgers, Red Sox, Orioles, Mets, White Sox....etc. Put money into your product and everything else falls into place.

The Yankees do GOOD business. It doesn't need defending!!!! You have no point here. You are making no sense.

dob72 said:
as you can see yankee fans don't look at baseball as a sport just a business to them

because its a business!!!!!!!! So is the NFL, NHL, NBA, NASCAR!!! It's all business. This isn't a CYO league.

MikeO said:
and the salary cap..........never gonna happen in MLB. They say never say never, you can say NEVER on this one. NEVER!!!!!!!!
it might have to when the yankees get there new stadium there payroll is gonna skyrocket to atleast 300 mill easy will see how long they will allow the yankees turning baseball into a joke

dob72 said:
it might have to when the yankees get there new stadium there payroll is gonna skyrocket to atleast 300 mill easy will see how long they will allow the yankees turning baseball into a joke

no it won't. You can't really believe that!!!

If the Yankees were doing good business wouldn't they be making money? I don't think teams need to be big spenders to be competitive. Look at the Oakland A's who are dependent upon their farm system and making good trades to be a playoff caliber team, which they are. They lost Mulder, Hudson, Damon, Dye, Tejada, Giambi, Foulke; and are still a very good team. How are the Royals going to bring in fans when their star attraction is Reggie Sanders? Do people really wanna watch Jimmy Gobble pitch? Teams do need to win to bring fans in look at the Detroit Tigers this year and the White Sox last year.

I have no problem with Steinbrenner trying to field the best baseball team as possible but MLB has to have the luxury tax or we're going to see the Yankees bring in every big name in baseball. One thing that I believe should be put into place is a salary cap floor. A minimum that all teams are required to spend to atleast make it look like teams are trying to be competitive.

dob72 said:

If the Yankees were winning the World Series every year then i'd believe your arguement but it hasn't happened recently. They make the playoffs every year but so did the Braves for 15 straight and the Red Sox also seem to make it every year yet nobody complained about them. The Yankees are good for baseball because they play the role of the villain. Just look at their series vs the Red Sox in the playoffs the past few seasons. Everybody wants to see them play and unless you're a Yankees fan you're probably rooting for the Red Sox because fans are sympathetic to a team that is percieved as an underdog which the Red Sox were.

dob72 said:

All sports have a buisness side to them. To think they don't is just plain ignorance.

lmfao?

dob72 said:
the bronx lives long in Phoenix huh lmfao

just because i moved to phx means i cant like the yankees and the bronx? I was born in jersey, but i feel like ive explained that enough on this board. i was just messing arond because i know everyone was going to diss the yankees and their management in this post. LMFAO!!!@!#$!@$%%@ was it that funny? The yankees always seem to incite the evil side of many people and its really discouraging to me and it is why i often do not post on this board anymore

djfresh47 said:
If the Yankees were doing good business wouldn't they be making money?

The ORGANIZATION as a whole is making billions. The team/players itself aspect of it isn't making money. Spend money to make money. If the team stinks, then the tv ratings stink, then YES brings in little to no reveneue. If the team is good, the tv ratings are good, then the team make a huge profit.

djfresh47 said:
One thing that I believe should be put into place is a salary cap floor. A minimum that all teams are required to spend to atleast make it look like teams are trying to be competitive.

If they brought in a salary cap floor you can kiss about 5-8 teams goodbye over the course of a few seasons.

Florida, Pittsburgh, Tampa, and KC right off the top of my head would no longer exist.

(mind you I agree with you about the salary cap floor. Add a salary cap floor before you add a ceiling. Im just saying in reailty it will be the end of about 5-8 teams and the Union won't let that happen)

Motion said:
All sports have a buisness side to them. To think they don't is just plain ignorance.

look at who you are responding too!!

one final point. For those who WANT a salary cap, the best way to get it is to ROOT for the Yankees to win about 6 or 7 world series in a row. Because then, at some point, the other teams will band together to stop it and say enough is enough.

BUT, as long as the Yanks spend $200 mill on payroll, and DON'T win the world series, and STILL pay out a huge luxery tax.......you won't get a cap. Why would an owner in Cincy, KC, Pittsburgh, Tampa, Arizona...etc want a cap. When they can just sit back, watch NY spend a ton of money, LOSE, and then cut those teams a huge check. It's free money!!!!! Why would ANY OWNER want to put an end to that????????????

I love when the topic of soulless Yankee monopoly comes up here, because it allows me to post the best Onion sports story ever... So, without further ado:

<H2>Yankees Ensure 2003 Pennant By Signing Every Player In Baseball
February 5, 2003 | Issue 39•04 | Onion Sports
NEW YORK—With a week to go before pitchers and catchers report for spring training, the New York Yankees shored up their pitching, hitting, and defense Monday by signing every player in professional baseball.

Enlarge Image
clear.gif
Some of the New York Yankees' newest additions are introduced to the press.

"We'd like to welcome the entire roster of Major League Baseball into the Yankees family," said team owner George Steinbrenner, watching as the franchise's 928 newest additions held up their pinstripes at a Yankee Stadium press conference. "With these acquisitions, we are in position to finally nab that elusive 27th World Series title."

Sports reporters were not surprised by the move.

"This is not entirely unexpected," New York Times baseball writer Murray Chass said. "When the Yankees followed up their signing of Japanese slugger Hideki 'Godzilla' Matsui by annexing Cuba for use as a Triple-A farm club, it was clear that Steinbrenner was willing to do whatever it takes to win."
By noon, Yankees GM Brian Cashman had signed the entire National League and most of the American League to multi-year contracts. Some 10 hours later, the final opposing player, Texas Rangers shortstop Alex Rodriguez, had been acquired by the Yankees, who bought out the remainder of his $252 million contract for $300 million.

"It's an honor to be part of this team," said catcher Benito Santiago, picked up from the San Francisco Giants as insurance in case catchers Jorge Posada, Ivan Rodriguez, and Mike Piazza all go down with injuries. "It's a surprise, certainly, but I'd be crazy to turn down the opportunity to play on what is, by default, the greatest team in baseball."

Yankees manager Joe Torre, whose pitching rotation, prior to the mass signing, lacked a clear seventh ace, now has the luxury of starting each of his hurlers twice a season.

"As they say, you can never have enough pitching in this league," Torre said. "Especially come playoff time. Now, if we make it to the World Series, we'll be able to start Pedro Martinez in Game 1 and still have him fresh and ready to go for a Game 287, should it be necessary."

With so many egos to juggle and so many personnel decisions to make, Torre said his job will actually be harder this season, the lack of opposing players notwithstanding
. </H2>

Back
Top Bottom