CB vs OL vs DL? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

CB vs OL vs DL?

So Be

Club Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking that Grimes will cost in the $8-9M average on a 3 year deal but, over $11M if we tag him. Patterson can help pay for that. Albert or Monroe will likely be looking for $8-9M average, and a Deitrich-Smith will get in the $5-6M range. I think Starks will want in the $7-8M average, and Soliai will likely have to take a cut to around $3-4M. JMO

I believe we can structure contracts to have all of the above this year and skimp a bit at other positions but other positions of need will not cost a lot. I question if this would be a good idea and/or if Hickey/Philbin would want to do this.

What would you advise them to do? In order of preference, who would you delete from the above players if you had to or wanted to?

Just for the sake of debate what if they decided not to re-sign either Starks or Soliai? They have Odrick who plays well, and I think he and Starks are very similar. They also have AJ Francis who they like a lot and could bring in another vet cheaper than Starks and plays 3 downs unlike Soliai?

I think they address the O line in free agency. Not saying they won’t draft any, but think they will address LT, RT and at least one OG before the draft. What if they took a DT in the first or second round? Not sure if more than one or two DT's will be off the board at 19.

At the rate for Starks i would let him walk and i think Solia will be more around 6. with him and Odrick you dont really need Starks and you could get a guy in the draft as a backup or even push Shelby inside.and you still have Francis if he can step up and play.

I would try the best to get one of those top 3 tackles signed between Albert, Monroe, and Veldheer. any top guard for 5-6

Lock up grimes to what he wants for as long as he wants because he was key last year. Try to restructure patterson but I wouldn't cut him for the cap because he is still a good player

Dont know if the following is feasible, but here goes...
Have to sign Grimes
Have to sign 2 or 3 OL
Have to sign either Starks or Soliai if not both IMO
Need to sign an actually GOOD LB

Just for the sake of debate what if they decided not to re-sign either Starks or Soliai? They have Odrick who plays well, and I think he and Starks are very similar. They also have AJ Francis who they like a lot and could bring in another vet cheaper than Starks and plays 3 downs unlike Soliai?

I think they address the O line in free agency. Not saying they won’t draft any, but think they will address LT, RT and at least one OG before the draft. What if they took a DT in the first or second round? Not sure if more than one or two DT's will be off the board at 19.

I've been thinking about the same. Starks is better than Odrick, and we do need a guy who can play NT some to be able to switch things up to a 3-4. I said that I wanted to keep S & S but, having second thoughts in seeing guys like Joseph from the Giants, and a few others in FA, and I would not be against taking a DT #1, believe it would be better value than the OL based on projected availability.

Then, maybe go OL in the second depending on how things shake out.

At the rate for Starks i would let him walk and i think Solia will be more around 6. with him and Odrick you dont really need Starks and you could get a guy in the draft as a backup or even push Shelby inside.and you still have Francis if he can step up and play.

I would try the best to get one of those top 3 tackles signed between Albert, Monroe, and Veldheer. any top guard for 5-6

Lock up grimes to what he wants for as long as he wants because he was key last year. Try to restructure patterson but I wouldn't cut him for the cap because he is still a good player

This would be a good plan, and wouldnt break the bank too badly.

If we cut Matt Moore and Dimitri Patterson, we'll save $9.4M off the cap. I think that's low hanging fruit and a no brainer. We need to sign Grimes to a 2 year deal, and I'd take Starks over Solia. Our problem is with the dead money in Ellerbe and Wheeler. We really need to improve our LB play in the run d.

I've been thinking about the same. Starks is better than Odrick, and we do need a guy who can play NT some to be able to switch things up to a 3-4. I said that I wanted to keep S & S but, having second thoughts in seeing guys like Joseph from the Giants, and a few others in FA, and I would not be against taking a DT #1, believe it would be better value than the OL based on projected availability.

Then, maybe go OL in the second depending on how things shake out.

Kinda the train of thought I am having. We know Philbin and Hickey need to win now. No way are they trusting the O Line to rookies. Not sure our run defense could be any worse with a rookie in the place of Starks or Soliai. I have been on the need to keep one of them, but lately starting thinking not so sure. I like Odrick at DT and I really think Francis can be a player. Heck bring McDaniels back for cheaper than Starks and draft a DT.

Starks is a tuff call, as he may hve been our best overall player last year or, at very least top 5, and has been VG every year since he got here. Money will decide. I like Soliai but, do not see a current $6M value with others younger and better in the projected same range. I think he will have to give a hometown discount to stay.

WE absolutely need 3 guys in the DT rotation, and AJ is an IF as you mentioned. As I just posted, I could see DT as our #1 pick, and really wish we had added someone last year to be developed.

If we cut Matt Moore and Dimitri Patterson, we'll save $9.4M off the cap. I think that's low hanging fruit and a no brainer. We need to sign Grimes to a 2 year deal, and I'd take Starks over Solia. Our problem is with the dead money in Ellerbe and Wheeler. We really need to improve our LB play in the run d.

Re-structuring Wallace's $17M cap hit this year is also low hanging fruit if needed, and we would not have to give up much to do so. My guess is that Ireland and/or Red Dawn brought this up when the contract was signed.

Starks is a tuff call, as he may hve been our best overall player last year or, at very least top 5, and has been VG every year since he got here. Money will decide. I like Soliai but, do not see a current $6M value with others younger and better in the projected same range. I think he will have to give a hometown discount to stay.

WE absolutely need 3 guys in the DT rotation, and AJ is an IF as you mentioned. As I just posted, I could see DT as our #1 pick, and really wish we had added someone last year to be developed.

i really like Starks but in the end its the money that will decide who stays i think. Idk if its true but i have read about Starks not wanting to re-sign. If Shelby could move inside he is not a small guy by any means that could also open up snaps for Jordan to play more and make more of an impact.

Kinda the train of thought I am having. We know Philbin and Hickey need to win now. No way are they trusting the O Line to rookies. Not sure our run defense could be any worse with a rookie in the place of Starks or Soliai. I have been on the need to keep one of them, but lately starting thinking not so sure. I like Odrick at DT and I really think Francis can be a player. Heck bring McDaniels back for cheaper than Starks and draft a DT.

To my surprise, rookie DT's are outperforming rookies on the OL in today's NFL in their first years. Where do you see the better value at #19?

McD is an interesting option as well but, there are age concerns.

To my surprise, rookie DT's are outperforming rookies on the OL in today's NFL in their first years. Where do you see the better value at #19?

honstly i would go OL at 19 because i think there is less top level DT's and can get good quality in the second or third round

i really like Starks but in the end its the money that will decide who stays i think. Idk if its true but i have read about Starks not wanting to re-sign. If Shelby could move inside he is not a small guy by any means that could also open up snaps for Jordan to play more and make more of an impact.

Shelby is 6'3" and only 270, He would get pushed around at DT.

Right now (it may change) I see value at DT, TE, FS, CB, and WR

If Eric Ebron is sitting there snatch him up quickly. I would also consider Jace Amaro and Kelvin Benjamin there as well.

Back
Top Bottom