Chad Greenway at 16? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Greenway at 16?

KB21 said:
Wrong. Chad Greenway was forced into coverage a good bit in that game, and he did a hell of a job. I watched the tape of that game no more than two weeks ago. Chad Greenway had to cover the super fast Chad Jackson, who was in the slot, inside the 20 yard line, and Greenway blanketed him. Chad Jackson got no separation from Greenway.

Chad Greenway is the best coverage linebacker in this draft. I love his work ethic, the intensity he brings to every down, and his overall attitude about the game. Mentally, he's a great fit for a Nick Saban coached football team, because he is going to bring it on every down. Plus, he's one of the smartest players in this entire draft.

Personaly, I think he's a great fit for the Dolphins. Not a lot has been said about Chad Greenway and the Miami Dolphins, but he's a great fit. His versatility is a key. I believe he can play any of the linebacker positions in the Dolphins defense. He can play the SAM, MIKE, and WILL in Nick's 4-3 scheme. As far as his pass rushing skills go, Chad wasn't asked to do that much at the college level. Kirk Ferentz runs a similar defense to what Nick runs, but it's not as blitz heavy. Chad Greenway played the WILL position in this defense and wasn't asked to blitz much. However, Chad looked great in the pass rushing drills at the combine. Now, that might not say much, but for a guy who wasn't asked to blitz a lot, he had the best rip and swim move out of all the linebackers that worked out at the combine.

:yeahthat: I couldn't have said it better. :D

Ghetti13 said:
A player is the "Jason Taylor" type mode will most likely not be available when we pick. I say that because I am not sold on Manny Lawson. He does not play with real high energy all the time and is a little stiff. I think he may simply be a track start who enjoyed playing opposite Mario Williams. He looks like a 2nd rounder on tape to me.
If the draft were today, I would expect it to come down to four players.

Greenway - Holmes - Jackson - Wimbley

Yes he did play opposite of Williams but it was his play that kept teams from focusing on Mario. When they did, he made them pay. Lawson also made the move to DE because of his physical nature. Besides, from what I hear, Saban is very high on Lawson.

Ghetti13 said:
I do remember. And because I remember I also remember how hard Jason had to work to become the player his is today. I also remember that it took more than three years for him to play at a high level.

I have some concern, taking into account his lack of urgency on the football field, that Lawson may not have the mental aptitude to develope like Jason did.
What in the world are you talking about? A lack of urgency is the last thing I thought I would hear in a description of Lawson.

I respect your opinion. However, based upon what I have seen on tape, he is not, in my opinion, a player worthy of bring drafted in the top twenty five. He is stiff in his hips. He does not play with a ton of urgency. He has a limited amount of pass rush moves. He does not have great read and recognition skills.

That being said, he is obviously a great physical talent. He tests through the roof. That is not surprising. However, that also does not make him destined for greatness.

I think he has a long way to go. He will have to put in significant work over his first few seasons, and even then, he may not excel.

I think he is a first round pick. And by the way, I would argue that the only person who knows who Saban really likes is Saban. He is too smart to let the cat out of the bag.

All I can say is put on the tape, and come to your own conclusion. If you disagree, that is your god given right. However, when I watch him I see a player who only "turns it on" and flashes the athletic ability when he has a direct line to the quarterback.

I do not see a player who takes it upon himself to track down a ball carrier from behind and across the field. I see a player who will allow his teamates to make a tackle that he is capable of making with his outstanding straight line speed.

That is what I mean by a lack of urgency. He does not play as fast as he times, and I feel alot of that is due to what I see as a lack of urgency.

I feel that he is not a player worthy of the 16th pick. However, I am no professional scout, so maybe Nick differs. But I think Lawson would be a significant reach.

KB21 said:
Wrong. Chad Greenway was forced into coverage a good bit in that game, and he did a hell of a job. I watched the tape of that game no more than two weeks ago. Chad Greenway had to cover the super fast Chad Jackson, who was in the slot, inside the 20 yard line, and Greenway blanketed him. Chad Jackson got no separation from Greenway.

Chad Greenway is the best coverage linebacker in this draft. I love his work ethic, the intensity he brings to every down, and his overall attitude about the game. Mentally, he's a great fit for a Nick Saban coached football team, because he is going to bring it on every down. Plus, he's one of the smartest players in this entire draft.

Personaly, I think he's a great fit for the Dolphins. Not a lot has been said about Chad Greenway and the Miami Dolphins, but he's a great fit. His versatility is a key. I believe he can play any of the linebacker positions in the Dolphins defense. He can play the SAM, MIKE, and WILL in Nick's 4-3 scheme. As far as his pass rushing skills go, Chad wasn't asked to do that much at the college level. Kirk Ferentz runs a similar defense to what Nick runs, but it's not as blitz heavy. Chad Greenway played the WILL position in this defense and wasn't asked to blitz much. However, Chad looked great in the pass rushing drills at the combine. Now, that might not say much, but for a guy who wasn't asked to blitz a lot, he had the best rip and swim move out of all the linebackers that worked out at the combine.

I definitely respect your opinion KB, you make some good points. I just wasn't very impressed with him in that particular game. To be honest I had only seen him play like twice before that and he just didn't live up to the hype for me. I'm sure if anyone could make him succeed it'd be Saban though.

oldfinfan said:
I am not 100% sold on Lawson...fast, yes, but you have to wonder how much of his success was attributed to the guy he was playing next to.

I love how we are questioning how much the talent that surrounded Lawson contributed to his play but we aren't doing that with Greenway. Let's all consider that in just analyzing the Lb corps he played in alone we find 2 other possible 1st rd Lb's and one that will be a top 5 pick. I think what we saw at the combine from Greenway was his short comings which could be easily camoflauged by playing with two other great Lb's.

Tureo said:
I love how we are questioning how much the talent that surrounded Lawson contributed to his play but we aren't doing that with Greenway. Let's all consider that in just analyzing the Lb corps he played in alone we find 2 other possible 1st rd Lb's and one that will be a top 5 pick. I think what we saw at the combine from Greenway was his short comings which could be easily camoflauged by playing with two other great Lb's.

Good point, Abdul Hodge is a very solid LB. I'm very impressed with what I've seen of him.

When I watch Greenway on tape I see a player that plays much faster and athletic than his workout numbers indicate. When I watch Lawson on tape I see a player who plays much slower and less athletic than his workout numbers indicate.

I could be wrong, but based on that, it is my opinion that Greenway is a significantly better football player than Lawson.

It seems to me that the sort of linebacker Saban will be looking for is the same type of linebacker he is looking for in Arrington: a pass rusher who can also cover. I don't see Lawson as that sort of linebacker at all. I think the guy on the board who comes closest to that ideal who will be available at 16 is Bobby Carpenter. If Saban were looking for a coverage guy, I think KB21 has made just about as good an argument as is possible why Chad would be the pick. The question, then, becomes whether Nick is willing to sacrifice what he thinks he needs in the immediate future for what he may perceive as a higher quality LB in Greenway than what he would get in Carpenter.

I think Chad Greenway would be a perfect pick if he is still there. As KB21 said during the bowl game Greenway wasn't much of a force because he was covering the slot a lot of the time, who happened to be Chad Jackson. Plus as you look at the tape Hodge was all around the ball so there wasn't too much left for him to do. Probably the biggest play he was involved in was the phantom offsides at the end of the game. He lined up on the slot receiver a lot of times at Iowa which shows his athleticism. Iowa also used him as a down lineman later in the year for pass rushing coming off the edge. So he is very versatile. He played behind a very good D-line his junior year and a young one his senior year and still posted solid numbers. Might have benefited from playing with another good LB in Abdul Hodge but then same could be said with OSU (w/ Hawk, Carpenter, and Schlegal) he kinda reminds me a lot of Donnie Edwards from the Chargers because of his athleticism and the ability to make plays in pass coverage.

Ryans, Sims, Lawson, Wimbley would be my choices over Greenway. The guy is not physically strong which will hurt him bad in the NFL.

Back
Top Bottom