Chad Greenway? | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chad Greenway?

Noodleman

Starter
Reaction score
Hey all. Many mocks I saw had this guy going in the top ten but he seems to be slipping. I, for one, would love to see the fins get him. What do you think? He seems to be "flying under the radar". Maybe its just me, but I think he may be there at 16.

Noodleman said:
Hey all. Many mocks I saw had this guy going in the top ten but he seems to be slipping. I, for one, would love to see the fins get him. What do you think? He seems to be "flying under the radar". Maybe its just me, but I think he may be there at 16.

the main question for me is why is he slipping? I know it's only mock draft but....

Because he had a bad combine.

And also he posted things in the wrong forum.

I like him, and if he is there we should take him. It was his bad combine that did make him slip.

Who cares if its in the wrong forum? Is the main page only for Lavar threads?

He had a poor showing in both speed and strength at the combine, but my feeling is he is better at playing the game than he is at performing at workouts. I would love to have him as a Dolphin because: 1)He has great instincts which can make up for a lack of speed. 2) The strength will be taken care of by the conditioning coach because he has a passion to be good. 3) He is very inteligent, which is a Saban must. And 4) The guy is from my home state of South Dakota!!!!!

I think if Greenway slips to #16, we grab him - EVEN if we already have LaVar signed. What a LB crew!

The combine is of little importance. Just because a guy runs fast does not mean he plays fast. It goes without saying that just because a guy runs slow does not mean he plays slow.

For instance, from what I see on tape, Manny Lawson plays slower than he times, and should not be drafted in the first round.

Also, based on what I see on tape, Chad Greenway plays much faster than he times and would be a steal for us at 16.

Workout Numbers Must Be Taken With A Grain of Salt.

greenway

To me Greenway looks like the type of guy who is ready to play NFL 3-4 OLB right away. As far as his "measured speed," that does NOT translate to how fast he plays on the field. From what I've seen of him he looks very fast on the field, and has more than enough "competitive speed" to play the position.

Bottom line, he looks like a football player, and has great size, and prior to the combine, everyone felt really good speed (based on how he plays in a real game). I think there's a real good chance he'll be there at 16, and he will definitely be on Saban's radar...

The guy can rush, cover, and defend at point of attack --- not bad.

However, I'm not sure he will turn into a "Monster," and if possible, it would be great for us to get a "Monster" in the 1st round. Perhaps Simms has more upside, and more "Monster" potential. The guy who has the most "Monster" potential (Manny) also has the biggest downside risk (i.e., development time, unproven OLB skills, etc.).

finner said:
To me Greenway looks like the type of guy who is ready to play NFL 3-4 OLB right away. As far as his "measured speed," that does NOT translate to how fast he plays on the field. From what I've seen of him he looks very fast on the field, and has more than enough "competitive speed" to play the position.

Bottom line, he looks like a football player, and has great size, and prior to the combine, everyone felt really good speed (based on how he plays in a real game). I think there's a real good chance he'll be there at 16, and he will definitely be on Saban's radar...

The guy can rush, cover, and defend at point of attack --- not bad.

However, I'm not sure he will turn into a "Monster," and if possible, it would be great for us to get a "Monster" in the 1st round. Perhaps Simms has more upside, and more "Monster" potential. The guy who has the most "Monster" potential (Manny) also has the biggest downside risk (i.e., development time, unproven OLB skills, etc.).
Not totally accurate, Lawson played OLB before moving to DE his junior year.

Geforce said:
Not totally accurate, Lawson played OLB before moving to DE his junior year.

Ok, didn't know that.

That opens a few questions to me:

Q1: Was he big-time monster productive at LB?

Q2: If he was big-time LB, why was he moved to DL?

finner said:
Ok, didn't know that.

That opens a few questions to me:

Q1: Was he big-time monster productive at LB?

Q2: If he was big-time LB, why was he moved to DL?
I wouldn't call him a "Monster" but he did show flashes of brilliance.

The move to DE was more of a team need. They needed someone who could keep teams from focusing on Mario and still hold his own. I think it was because Manny is more effective moving forward than he is moving in reverse.

Geforce said:
I wouldn't call him a "Monster" but he did show flashes of brilliance.

The move to DE was more of a team need. They needed someone who could keep teams from focusing on Mario and still hold his own. I think it was because Manny is more effective moving forward than he is moving in reverse.

OK. From what he showed you, is he a legit 3-4 OLB NFL Monster? Can he drop into coverage? Is he quick, or just straight-line fast?

I ask this because Greenway is a PROVEN OLB with a very well-rounded game. he can IMO play NFL 3-4 OLB right away, and has the skill set to be highly productive. Maybe not the blitz-monster of Lawson, but he had 9 sacks in senior year I believe...

finner said:
OK. From what he showed you, is he a legit 3-4 OLB NFL Monster? Can he drop into coverage? Is he quick, or just straight-line fast?

I ask this because Greenway is a PROVEN OLB with a very well-rounded game. he can IMO play NFL 3-4 OLB right away, and has the skill set to be highly productive. Maybe not the blitz-monster of Lawson, but he had 9 sacks in senior year I believe...
I think he is a quick (4.18 short shuttle) as he is fast. He said in an interview that he has dropped into coverage when he played OLB.
Greenway is the more polished or well-rounded LB but what it comes down to, atleast for me, is which would you rather have. A LB who can step in now and be consistently good for many years or one who will have to wait a year or two and could possibly develop into a "Monster."

Chad only had 5 sacks in his career at Iowa. That could be due to how he was used.

Back
Top Bottom