Chambers permanently in the slot? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chambers permanently in the slot?

PassRush said:
Worse comes to worse, David Boston could be one hell of a Strong Saftey:rofl3:

Saban does like to turn WRs into Safteys :tongue:

Nasty

i dont expect to see chambers in the slot. the only reason he was there this season was because we had no one else that could play it and his numbers suffered. chambers benefits from playing outside because he is explosive and makes much more YAC on the outside and gets a better average in turn

I thought he got more yards when he played slot, I could be wrong. I figure that if he is utilized correctly he could be more effective than he would be wide. Marty Booker is a solid posession receiver wide, Boston is the kind of guy that can just break press coverage and tear it up feild, if the safetys are playing inside we are talking huge gains and alot of scores. Chambers is agile enough and has the breakaway speed to get up there and catch the balls thrown over linebackers. On second thought, just as I typed that last sentence I changed my mind, we dont need Chambers taking those hits. Locked. Sorry for wasting all your time

I wouldn't want to see CC getting creamed by some hard-hitting LB like Lewis or Kennedy etc. Brown or Boston (bigger/stronger basically as fast) in the slot makes me feel better. I see Boston starting off in the old OG mode...3rd down possesion receiver until his game picks up at which point he could slide to the wideout slot. Thompson/Gilmore to give some changeup. Thompson started picking up his game towards the end of last year and could be more productive if he continues. CC/Booker wide, Boston/Brown in the middle with McMike catching screens/options and Ricky catching out the backfield.....pretty dangerous set as far as passing goes. If the Oline picks it up....we're going to have some fun watching this year.

Muck said:
Also, splitting Randy out there to the slot from "standard" sets also causes matchup problems. Gets Randy on a LB out in space.

Man, the 3-wide + Randy has to get you fired up.

Ronnie Brown could also give us another toy to use. This guy could split out wide at Auburn and wreak havoc.

Chambers | Booker | Boston | McMichael | Brown

That's a dangerous bunch on passing downs.

The options are fun to think about. We could bring in Boston, Randy, and Ronnie on a play, and the D would probably go with nickle. We could then go empty backfield and have a LB on Ronnie and Randy. If they started getting feed up with getting killed in that set and brought in a dime, we could use that same set to pound the ball up the middle.

Of course all of this still depends on Gus showing what he did in Minny, and our OL playing to their potential, but the ideas are fun to play with.

jbond said:
I wouldn't want to see CC getting creamed by some hard-hitting LB like Lewis or Kennedy etc. Brown or Boston (bigger/stronger basically as fast) in the slot makes me feel better. I see Boston starting off in the old OG mode...3rd down possesion receiver until his game picks up at which point he could slide to the wideout slot. Thompson/Gilmore to give some changeup. Thompson started picking up his game towards the end of last year and could be more productive if he continues. CC/Booker wide, Boston/Brown in the middle with McMike catching screens/options and Ricky catching out the backfield.....pretty dangerous set as far as passing goes. If the Oline picks it up....we're going to have some fun watching this year.

Actually, I have always thought it was just the opposite. The slot is for setting up missmatches. If we could get CC on a LB, he doesn't have to run over him, just by him. Most NFL slot guys are the small quick guys, who forces the D to bring in a nickle and take out the LB. Also you want a guy with great quickness, like CC has, because you have more area to use your change of direction. DBs on the outside get to use the sideline as another defender. If CC was in the slot he would be getting matched with the other teams 3rd DB or fastest LB. Either one would be a mismatch.

I remember CCs first year where he tore up the league, playing mostly from the slot, and thought that was where he was best. Now that we have two other starting caliber WRs, (if DB can stay healthy) then I agree CC would have ridiculous numbers from the slot....if Gus can get him the ball.
JMO

Muck said:
The main reason he was in the slot was because we had nobody else who could do a good job there. At least that was the word out of Dolphins camp. The team preferred he stay outside.
That's not entirely true. We've brought in a ton of people who were specifically good in the slot and just never learned to use them properly. Sam Simmons comes to mind, all the potential in the world and we couldn't make anything of him except a sub-par kick returner. Wes Welker was actually great in the slot coming out of college (holds many school and conference records) but all he was ever used as was a kick returner.

I wanna see Chambers running way down the field as fast as he can. PERIOD.

We just need to get him the ball...if that means in the slot great! I am slightly concerned about him over the middle all the time. I don't want our best wr hurt.

BringBackShula said:
I wanna see Chambers running way down the field as fast as he can. PERIOD.

I tend to agree.....Chambers playing slot IMO takes away that deep threat from our best receiver.We can probably send him into motion a little more confuse the defense.

Muck said:
Also, splitting Randy out there to the slot from "standard" sets also causes matchup problems. Gets Randy on a LB out in space.

Man, the 3-wide + Randy has to get you fired up.

Ronnie Brown could also give us another toy to use. This guy could split out wide at Auburn and wreak havoc.

Chambers | Booker | Boston | McMichael | Brown

That's a dangerous bunch on passing downs.

Let's just hope he has more than "one thousand one" to throw the dam ball.

TARHEEL38 said:
The options are fun to think about. We could bring in Boston, Randy, and Ronnie on a play, and the D would probably go with nickle. We could then go empty backfield and have a LB on Ronnie and Randy. If they started getting feed up with getting killed in that set and brought in a dime, we could use that same set to pound the ball up the middle.

Of course all of this still depends on Gus showing what he did in Minny, and our OL playing to their potential, but the ideas are fun to play with.

I was loving your post until you said Gus.. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom