Charles Clay: Dolphins could look to extend TE Charles Clay | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Charles Clay: Dolphins could look to extend TE Charles Clay

DKphin

Club Member
Reaction score
A 2011 sixth-round pick, Clay significantly outperformed his contract this season and is set to make only $645,000 in the final year of his rookie deal. The Dolphins may not want to risk losing Clay to free agency in 2015, so he could be extended this offseason. Clay has shown good rapport with Ryan Tannehill and is expected to be part of Miami's long-term plans. Feb. 8 - 7:03 pm et
Source: ESPN.com

Rotoworld.com

Clay certainly took a positive step this year. Match him with a traditional TE and Miami could have a match up nightmare for opponents.

Clay is making the plays and he should only get better. He is peaking in his career. He should be offered a good deal to keep him.

Clay certainly took a positive step this year. Match him with a traditional TE and Miami could have a match up nightmare for opponents.

I agree. I think you still need another pass catching TE threat, but if you could do that, Clay could be scary good.....

Sherman got away from Sims after that one handed catch in the end zone for a TD. With Lazor on as the OC you will probably see Dion Sims used more effectively than he was in the past. If you can lock up Clay do it while you can.

So is Clay in his final year of his contract or he is signed through 2015? If the former, yeah I'd love to see him extended.

I like Sims, but I would double down on another TE in FA or the draft. There are some TE's in FA that could be had for a good price. The draft also has some alternatives that might fit the bill. Scott Chandler or Brandon Pettigrew would be nice Red Zone targets and might not cost a ton.

Exactly, although clay is good, we need someone who is taller and can catch over the top, nice big red zone threat. We will never reach full potential keeping only clay at tight end. Sims and egnew are mediocre

I agree that we need someone to go with him, but he has started to show some playmaking ability. I have not yet given up on Sims, we will see with the new OC.

Clay is a must resign. I dont know what his value is - maybe 8m over 3 years. If keller is ready to go, then those two with Sims would make our TE threats pretty decent. I would be pretty ticked if they allowed clay to walk.

not surprising in the least...but this is not a top 5 position worthy contract guy...any agent would raise a stink though off his 2013 season and what he's getting paid in 2014 as it stands...

I personally think we should not rush to overpay based on one good season. That's whats killing the phins now. Lets see what he does early in season and make a decision

did we learn absolutely nothing from reshad jones? he had one excellent season and got a huge contract only to turn into absolute sh*t this past season. let clay prove this year wasnt a fluke, if he has another great year then pay the man. otherwise dont do something stupid!

did we learn absolutely nothing from reshad jones? he had one excellent season and got a huge contract only to turn into absolute sh*t this past season. let clay prove this year wasnt a fluke, if he has another great year then pay the man. otherwise dont do something stupid!
You have to be careful here as the asking price could be reasonable now, however if he has a really good year under Lazor as the OC the price could go up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom