Choice making and logic | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Choice making and logic

Lee2000

FinHeaven VIP
Reaction score
I have just read scathing articles from the local papers in Miami regarding the front office and its points of decision making. I do agree that things do get out of hand apparently at times. I, like many fans, wonder why this all occured with Mac. However, I do feel that the local media in Miami is milking every ounce of this situation for some reason. I am not sure what the agendas are here either. I tend to attempt to logically understand things, but with the Dolphins sometimes my emotions get involved. I must admit the course of events this off-season have been for lack of better description," peculiar".
However, as in most cases with drama, the whole picture doesnt tend to be as bad as described. There is no sure thing in free agency unless the player sought is consistent over time like a Patrick Surtain. Woody is showing great improvement, but I do not consider him a sure thing. This logic can work for the Dolphins in going another direction for other lineman, but it works against them in terms of the Feeley situation. I do think that Detroit is making huge gambles with the Bryant and Woody signings based on economics alone.
With all the poor PR happening for the Dolphin front office, I actually like what has happend to the roster this off-season overall. I like the James, Atkins, and Howard signings, and I like the trimming of the roster by Speilman to get the Dolphins under the cap.
The Woody situation got way to emotional for Dolphin fans, as has Fiedler's situation. But as I have voiced some of my concerns about the team I am even more concerned about the attitudes of Dolphin fans. It is not the same concern I would have with Eagle fans, who are thought of as overly critical at times. It is a concern of optimism. I hear an overall lack of confidence across the spectrum of fans that voice their views on these message boards.
Here is a small (very small) plead for a "wait and see" approach.

Lee2000

well my "lack of confidence" is based on us not signing any of our targeted personnel, AND by getting the QB we ended up getting. Feeley may be good, but he is an unknown at this point we do not know how he will play. There were other QB's who IMO were better and available - we chose to not aggressively pursue them. Then there's the whole Fiedler fiasco - he wanted to leave to make more money somewhere else and not be a backup. when he found out no one else wanted him, we didn't even stick to our guns about the paycut!!! when he had no choice but to take it anyway. Add to that the fact that the FO told Brown and Meadows the position had been filled when it hadn't YET.

Those are just SOME of the reasons that I'M pissed with the FO. this is starting out worse than last season's FA.....

just out of curiosity????

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan
well my "lack of confidence" is based on us not signing any of our targeted personnel, AND by getting the QB we ended up getting. Feeley may be good, but he is an unknown at this point we do not know how he will play. There were other QB's who IMO were better and available - we chose to not aggressively pursue them. Then there's the whole Fiedler fiasco - he wanted to leave to make more money somewhere else and not be a backup. when he found out no one else wanted him, we didn't even stick to our guns about the paycut!!! when he had no choice but to take it anyway. Add to that the fact that the FO told Brown and Meadows the position had been filled when it hadn't YET.

Those are just SOME of the reasons that I'M pissed with the FO. this is starting out worse than last season's FA.....

What other Qb's that were available that are clear cut better than Feeley?

Mark Brunell.. maybe, if he doesn't get another concussion, also hasn't played a full season in a couple of years. ohh and btw the Redskins grossly overpaid and Jax shut us out before we could even bid, so scratch that.

Jeff Garcia, his release was speculation, which means no one knew for sure what SF was going to do. ohh and btw.. he has chronic back problems. Buyer beware

billy volek, unknown commodity, even less game experience than Feely.

Patrick Ramsey, would've been my choice and the Dolphin FO choice as well, but Washington isn't trading him.... AT ALL and can you blame them? with fragile Brunell on the roster?

Tim Couch... He's had his chances and he's still not released. So again speculation.

Kurt Warner....he's done. end of story

Drew henson...haha yeah right. 10 yr garaunteed contract. what are you smoing YANKEE.

Insert qb here...Redman, Blake, etc...

And philly happens to be one of the teams with the most cap space, so they were most definelty going to put the first round tender on Feely..but then again that's speculation.

So what would you have done?

just curious.

Re: just out of curiosity????

Originally posted by rhadaddy

What other Qb's that were available that are clear cut better than Feeley?

Mark Brunell.. maybe, if he doesn't get another concussion, also hasn't played a full season in a couple of years. ohh and btw the Redskins grossly overpaid and Jax shut us out before we could even bid, so scratch that.

Jeff Garcia, his release was speculation, which means no one knew for sure what SF was going to do. ohh and btw.. he has chronic back problems. Buyer beware

billy volek, unknown commodity, even less game experience than Feely.

Patrick Ramsey, would've been my choice and the Dolphin FO choice as well, but Washington isn't trading him.... AT ALL and can you blame them? with fragile Brunell on the roster?

Tim Couch... He's had his chances and he's still not released. So again speculation.

Kurt Warner....he's done. end of story

Drew henson...haha yeah right. 10 yr garaunteed contract. what are you smoing YANKEE.

Insert qb here...Redman, Blake, etc...

And philly happens to be one of the teams with the most cap space, so they were most definelty going to put the first round tender on Feely..but then again that's speculation.

So what would you have done?

just curious.

What would I hae done? Let Sage and Jay fight for the job, and DRAFT a QB. Really folks, is that hard? he Feely trade was a joke, get over it.

I'm sick of seeing everyone make excuses for this team. The FO had done nothing but blow ***. YES, 1 ST player, a nickleback, and a guard! Holy **** that kicks ***! Not like the team doesn't need 3 more lineman.

The FO sucks, I've been saying that forever, yet some of you still have a "wait and see " approach. Get real, thats so stupid, you're stupid. Hey, don't worry, you'll be happy when WH keeps Wanny and his dip**** buddy Spielman around. Get a CLUE, THE TEAM IS GOING NO WHERE.

**Staff Edit: Insult another poster again and you're finished here. Got it? First and Last Warning.**

Lee2000....couldn't agree more!...As far as the press goes....they're just pandering to the pessimists....the fist win of the season and everybody will be scrambling to jump back on the bandwagon.....

"I never said AJ wasn't any good....I just said I didn't know if he was or not"......

" I didn't say our line wasn't any good, I just said that they may not be any good".....

"I didn't say this team or FO sucks, I just said that they aren't doing things like I would have done them....if what they are doing works then I'm all for it...just like I have been all along....As long as we're winning, I'm a Dolphins fan!"

:rolleyes:

WIN OR LOSE !!! I BLEED DOLPHINS !!!! WAS WATCHING NFL NETWORK LAST NITE , AND HEART OF A CHAMPION "DAN MARINO" WAS ON I WAS ALL CHOKED UP TO SEE THE GREATEST QB TO PLAY THE GAME AGAIN THROWING ALL THOSE TD'S IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL THING, LOVE THE FINS FOREVER, MAN!!!!!!!

Re: Re: just out of curiosity????

Originally posted by Huggy Bear

What would I hae done? Let Sage and Jay fight for the job, and DRAFT a QB. Really folks, is that hard? he Feely trade was a joke, get over it.

I'm sick of seeing everyone make excuses for this team. The FO had done nothing but blow ***. YES, 1 ST player, a nickleback, and a guard! Holy **** that kicks ***! Not like the team doesn't need 3 more lineman.

The FO sucks, I've been saying that forever, yet some of you still have a "wait and see " approach. Get real, thats so stupid, you're stupid. Hey, don't worry, you'll be happy when WH keeps Wanny and his dip**** buddy Spielman around. Get a CLUE, THE TEAM IS GOING NO WHERE.

Draft a QB...which one? That's also something not guranteed...who's this QB...will he be there with the 20th pick?

Stupid huh...well since we're so stupid and the FO is so stupid and you know so damn much...what team do you run?

The FO did trying to get some big names...Tait and Woody...Tait rather play with da'Bears do to location and all...Woody got a ridiculous amount of $$$...like Rick said...enough is enough!!!

I know that you are dissappointed but our line will be better...free agency is not over and we still have the draft and training camp. And don't forget about Yates and Whitley...these guys may be able to finally crack the starting line-up and be some solid bawlers...Yates looks like he could seriously be the mo-fo we need on the line!!!

Go Fins!!!

Re: Re: just out of curiosity????

**Staff Edit: Insult another poster again and you're finished here. Got it? First and Last Warning.**

i dont mind your approach huggy but then you wait for the rookie. either way, you wait. as you can see, its a crapshoot in FA and the draft where we sit. That is called, taking chances. you dont know that we would get Rivers. you dont know that. are you ready to live with Losman? cus thats who you will be looking at once the Bills or Pittsburgh get Rivers. you see, its easy to pick on something where your not sitting in the drivers seat. People dont like Fiedler and they wont like Feeley cus they are not peyton manning. simple. there not names. But i will say this. Peyton Manning has not won the big one. Feeley is not as big a gamble as you think.

Originally posted by Lee2000
I have just read scathing articles from the local papers in Miami regarding the front office and its points of decision making. I do agree that things do get out of hand apparently at times. I, like many fans, wonder why this all occured with Mac. However, I do feel that the local media in Miami is milking every ounce of this situation for some reason. I am not sure what the agendas are here either. I tend to attempt to logically understand things, but with the Dolphins sometimes my emotions get involved. I must admit the course of events this off-season have been for lack of better description," peculiar".
However, as in most cases with drama, the whole picture doesnt tend to be as bad as described. There is no sure thing in free agency unless the player sought is consistent over time like a Patrick Surtain. Woody is showing great improvement, but I do not consider him a sure thing. This logic can work for the Dolphins in going another direction for other lineman, but it works against them in terms of the Feeley situation. I do think that Detroit is making huge gambles with the Bryant and Woody signings based on economics alone.
With all the poor PR happening for the Dolphin front office, I actually like what has happend to the roster this off-season overall. I like the James, Atkins, and Howard signings, and I like the trimming of the roster by Speilman to get the Dolphins under the cap.
The Woody situation got way to emotional for Dolphin fans, as has Fiedler's situation. But as I have voiced some of my concerns about the team I am even more concerned about the attitudes of Dolphin fans. It is not the same concern I would have with Eagle fans, who are thought of as overly critical at times. It is a concern of optimism. I hear an overall lack of confidence across the spectrum of fans that voice their views on these message boards.
Here is a small (very small) plead for a "wait and see" approach.

Lee2000

Well said Lee2000. Don't think I could have said it better. Let's at least wait until the end of FA (which is almost alll the way up to the start of the season) before we lnych our FO. I agree it sucks to see some of the 'big name' FAs go elsewhere, but lets at least let the process play out.

Originally posted by texasPHINSfan
well my "lack of confidence" is based on us not signing any of our targeted personnel.....

There were other QB's who IMO were better and available - we chose to not aggressively pursue them.

Jeno James was definitely a top target, for both the Dolphins and several fans (myself included). And we got him very quickly.

I think the FO is being very aggressive. I just think they've run into some bad luck (McIntosh for example). They persued several QBs. Brunell and Ramsey....we weren't allowed to speak to them. We negotiated with the Texans for Henson (he'll go back to the draft IMO). And these are just some the QBs we know about.

The Dolphins have been anything but non-aggressive IMO. And while I'm not too crazy about the 2nd for Feeley, I like the competition that has been created with Fiedler. We definitely have a better QB situation. How GOOD it will be, we'll just have to wait and see.

Damn huggy Bear

I come back to the board to see that I've been flamed and I'm soo stupid.

well listen son, I dont know you or know how long you've been a fin fan (which really doesn't matter), But one thing I've know is that I've been a fin fan for 20+ years. Good and bad, and boy has there been some bad years.

and this is what I've learned;

No matter what this organizations does, whether sign 20 ex-first round players (see Don Shula), Make blockbuster offseason trades, or take a low key fill all the holes approach, this team has come up short, sometimes close but short.

Does it upset me? of course, it fustrating, however I've realized that I love the miami dolphins and the game of football more than I love any other sport, so mundane things such as signing offensive lineman or speculating who we will choose in the draft, is almost as fufulling as watching the season (ok, not quite) because it's part of football. i'm sure a lot of people on this board can identify with me.

So my point is, irregaurdless of who we draft or sign in Free agency, we won't be garaunteed ****. No Randy Moss, No terril owens, No John Tait, no ::fill in sexy name here:: is going to garauntee us the trophy. not to mention the wear and tear and injury factors. New England has who on their team and won 17 games or something in a row...

I never once came in and lauded the Feely trade, why cause I don't really know how he's gonna turn out. If he fails alot of you will come in here and I told you so, and if he succeeds alot of you will come in here and say the same thing. But none of you can not say with any assurity what's gonna happen next season. Not one of you.

And the guy who suggested letting sage start and draft a qb, Well the johnson kid got his chance to start in atlanta, and look what happened, even our very own Brian greesy got his chance to shine and you dont hear about any team banging down their door... And Tim Couch was a can't miss first rounder and look what's happened to him...

So my point is:

you know just as much as me about next season and how it will play out, and that's absolutely nothing.

Next time I pose a questionto a post it's to spark ideas and debate and get some solid feedback, not to hear some pathethic childish banter without answering the post.

grow up son.

I agree that things arent as bad as they seem. But, you have to know that there is no way everyone is going to be happy with every acquisition or cut. I mean personally I give Rick a 95% Approval reason. He is trying to pick up people where we need them. Picking up players of opportunity, and managing the cap well. Only knock I have on him personally is the fact that Fiedler is still on the Roster ... but hey ... thats another story all together.

Back
Top Bottom