Chris Chambers | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chris Chambers

Yeah its funny that teams are willing to get beat by Ricky as opposed to Feidler who seems less intimidating. It will be interesting to see when they pull the safeties into the box and double team McMicheal, what Chambers and Gadsen's numbers will look like.

Okay, I'm probably going to get chewed up and spat out on this one but...I don't think that Chambers is where he needs to be yet. When he came out of college he was a very raw reciever, but in his rookie year, he got to play against a lot of 2nd and 3rd cornerbacks. He had success because he has such great athletic ability. This year, teams are aware of Chris, and he is targeted as the number one wide reciever, hence he is covered as such. As outstanding as his potential is, Chambers can't consistently beat number one cornerbacks with his athletic ability alone, he needs to learn the position. I think that the real Chris Chambers will emerge next year.

Does all this mean that I think he can't have a good season?? No, certainly not. Chris will have big games this year, but I know that all of us expect great things from him. Personally, I believe that he needs to develop as a pro reciever before he can be consistently great. Make no mistake, Chris Chambers will be one of the better recevers of the next ten years. But look around at the top tear guys such as Terrell Owens, David Boston, Marvin Harrison. These recievers regularly dominate. Yet Terrell Owens took a couple of years to get there, Boston started to produce in his second and third years, and Marvin didn't really look big time until his third year.

The Saints have Donte Stallworth, who is now finding himself in the same position as Chambers did last year. He is making big plays. Ask him to take the load on his shoulders though, and things may be somewhat different. I don't mean to give a negative appraisal of Chris Chambers here. All i am saying is don't expect him to do too much. The guy will be pretty close to unstoppable one day, but he still has a lot to learn. Hell, Jerry Rice still says that he is always learning, even after almost 20 years in the league. Chambers is too talented not to make a number of plays for the Phins this year, but lets give him time to grow into that complete reciever that we all want him to be.

You're not going to get lambasted by me, phinphan. I agree with you wholeheartedly.

Chambers just isn't where he needs to be. I only first started to see the possibility of this when there was an offseason article written about how little Chambers was asked to do his rookie year. The bottom line is he's kind of in limbo. He's got a lot of raw athletic ability and the ability to focus in on the ball and maneuver his body to get it. But his route running, and ability work mental aspects on CBs during games, are just plain not there. For now, he will find routes that he likes and dislikes, and he will learn. He still has the natural ability though, so he'll just be adding routes to his repertoire as the season wears on. And eventually, he'll learn what its like to be able to get into a CBs head during a game, put his own stamp on his route-running, and set up CBs for a certain play. He doesn't know any of this yet. He's just got natural ability and he's only recently figured out the offense to the point where he knows in every situation where he's supposed to be and what he's supposed to be doing (no small accomplishment).

In terms of fantasy numbers he's in for the sophomore slump, in my opinion. I don't think it will hurt us too much, however. Because just like he was groomed and protected from too much responsibility last year, he's kinda being groomed and protected from too much responsibility so far this year. Why? Ricky Williams and Randy McMichael. Bottom line, how did you fvck us up last year? Cover 2. Jay Fiedler was TERRIBLE against the Cover 2 and any defense related in some small way to Tony Dungy's. Guess what though this year. Even with an OL full of questions, through the first 3 games we have shown that Ricky can and will beat your @ss into oblivion if you play Cover 2. Also, last year the way to beat us was with the Cover 2, and safeties ignoring the TE and leaving him solely to linebackers. Can't do that this year. Randy McMichael is too athletic for the LBs. Its taking 3 games for teams to figure this out. It might even take a few more before teams begin to think that Ricky, the OL, and McMichael are for real. I mean, the defenses we faced were Detroit, Indy, and the Jets...right?

In the end teams will adjust. They'll acount for the TE, mix in a few more 8 man fronts, and begin to try and confuse Jay with zone blitzes. It will be a real challenge for Jay and the WRs when that happens. Thats when we'll see an offense that more closely resembles the Norv Turner offense, IMO.

I think Chris Chambers is exactly where one would expect him to be. For a guy in his position, I think he's right on track. It's too early to say that he's "slumping". Remember, he's going to see things this year that he's never seen before. And he's being asked to do things he's never done before. Of there's going to be
an adjustment period. That period may last a year. It may last 8 games. All I know is that he's going to be one hell of a WR down the road.

The problem with Chris Chambers is that defenses are keying in on him, opening the running game with ricky and leaving Orande Gadsden in isolation going against one DB which is where he does his damage.

As soon as the other teams wise up to the other playmakers on the team, and start to double cover them, and devise schemes to stop them, then CC will be freed up more to produce like we all had hoped he would this year.

You can just see DC's all over the league trying to figure out how to control RW, and R-Mac. Once this happens, the coverages will loosen up a little on CC, and the big numbers will start to come.

Teams arent taking him lightly anymore and Im seeing alot of Double coverage.

I drafted Chambers also, but don't cut him yet. Like IceBlizzard, I have a feeling he will have a big game this week. Even though Ricky is great every week, it seems someone different steps up each week too. Chambers could be HOT in Week 4. :D

Well, I for one have never played fantasy football. So as for his numbers thus far....they mean little. What does mean something to me is how he is drawing double coverage. This means teams are keying on him and leaving open some holes in their coverage elsewhere. He's also doing a great job of blocking as well.

Either way I see it, he's still doing a great job for the team. In time, teams will start to play more zone on us trying to prevent the big one. I think that's when he'll start to come on and be the CC that we have all come to know and love.

Re: That AVATAR is disturbing, lol

Originally posted by Oliver

:rofl:

I was thinking the same thing about Vandolphans avtar.

Thats just weird Van.

But, I think as soon as teams see what McMicheals is doing to other teams that they won't be able to focus on Chambers as much, be patient Greg CCs #s are coming.

Then :shark: watch out!

In terms of fantasy production yes Chambers is definitely slumping there's no way around that. He's supposed to improve off his rookie season numbers, and yet currently he's on pace for like 600 yards and 5 TDs. I'm not saying he won't get better than that but the cat is getting no catches over 25 yards and he's on pace for 300 fewer yards than he had as a rookie. To me that is a definition of a sophomore slump. It doesn't really matter if there's a good reason for the figures to go down, nor does it say anything for what his future production will be. But this season a lot of people pegged him for like 1200 yards and double digit TDs. That is obviously not going to be the case now. So yes, he's slumping. It doesn't mean he's really bad, or that he'll be really bad in the future, just that he's reached a sophomore slump.

OG on the other hand, is definitely slumping. I've got the cat on my fantasy team and he's not impressing me at all. He's missing easy ones, not getting open, etc.

Originally posted by ckparrothead
In terms of fantasy production yes Chambers is definitely slumping there's no way around that. He's supposed to improve off his rookie season numbers, and yet currently he's on pace for like 600 yards and 5 TDs. I'm not saying he won't get better than that but the cat is getting no catches over 25 yards and he's on pace for 300 fewer yards than he had as a rookie. To me that is a definition of a sophomore slump. It doesn't really matter if there's a good reason for the figures to go down, nor does it say anything for what his future production will be. But this season a lot of people pegged him for like 1200 yards and double digit TDs. That is obviously not going to be the case now. So yes, he's slumping. It doesn't mean he's really bad, or that he'll be really bad in the future, just that he's reached a sophomore slump.

Chambers is not slumping. It is only 3 games into the season. Too many fans want too much too fast. Give the guy some time and you will see his numbers improve.
Norv is calling this. Look at how many times Chambers is targeted...
Through week 2, he was targeted 10 times...and caught 7 passes. Top WRs more than double that target total.
So saying he is slumping isn't accurate. He just isn't getting enough chances to take it to the house.

Back
Top Bottom