Christian Ponder's arm strength center stage at Florida State's pro day | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Christian Ponder's arm strength center stage at Florida State's pro day

I also think Ponder has day one potential at starting, but we don't necessarily need to push him to be a starter this season, so that is an unnecessary pressure off of his back. We can bring him along at our pace, but he also is talented enough to take over for a potentially ineffective Henne if need be. If Harbaugh was the coach this year, I would be almost certain he takes Ponder at 15 . . . seems like the perfect fit as Ponder would be a great WCO QB.

Another nice thing about Ponder is that with his intangibles and pro style experience, he's more likely to survive a regime change than a guy like Kaepernick or even Mallett that a new coach might not like because of playing style (Kaep) or personality issues (Mallett). Not that that's a reason to take him, but it's a plus.

Lol at saying throwing 50 yards isn't hard to do.

vinceyoung-1.gif

Based on his 2009 season he was a 1st round pick. I think the longer we head into this thing, the more people are going to be comfortable with the problems, and the more he'll be a 1st rounder again.

He's always been a tough nut for me to crack BECAUSE of the problems he showed in 2009 as well as 2010. But the more I find out about some of the issues behind those problems, the more my comfort level with him keeps getting restored back to the level of comfort I had with him in 2009 when I openly referred to him as a 1st round pick in the making and one of the reasons the 2011 QB class should be very good. That's kind of what happened with Sam Bradford, too. I had Sam Bradford as a #1 overall, not just a 1st rounder but a #1 overall, since his redshirt freshman year at Oklahoma. I sent out an email that year saying that if I'm a team that anticipates needing a QB sometime in the next two or three years, I'm starting to trade away present picks for more valuable future picks NOW, so that I have enough ammunition in whichever draft Sam Bradford comes out to make a blockbuster deal for the #1 overall pick and take him. I was that high on him. The injuries threw me off, and there were some questions some people had about whether he loved football that much. But the more I found out about the injuries and their status, the more information that flowed through, the easier it was to re-acquire the confidence I had in him. That's kind of happening with Ponder.

The one issue I take is when people talk about FSU's offense being a "complicated pro style offense" as spyder says. It's obviously not just spyder saying that so I don't want to seem like I'm picking on just him, but sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. When I watch the FSU defense, I did not see anything complicated, nor did I see a pro style system, asking Ponder to do pro things.

Anyway we've got an article coming out next Tuesday about Ponder. In it we'll go over some of Ponder's background, some of the issues at Florida State, what we see on the tape, etc. Richard will be taking the lead on it. Simon capped off an interview with a prominent player for a prominent defense that played against Christian Ponder this year, and he had some real interesting things to say about the game plan facing Ponder. He also dropped something of a bomb shell on us from the perspective of facing Ponder and the FSU offense that was really in some ways pretty eye-opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I also think Ponder has day one potential at starting, but we don't necessarily need to push him to be a starter this season, so that is an unnecessary pressure off of his back. We can bring him along at our pace, but he also is talented enough to take over for a potentially ineffective Henne if need be. If Harbaugh was the coach this year, I would be almost certain he takes Ponder at 15 . . . seems like the perfect fit as Ponder would be a great WCO QB.

I agree with you there. I would like him to come in and compete with Henne and Thigpen or another vet. I know many people will laugh at this but as his stock rises I wouldn't be shocked to see one of those teams that like him take him in round one. I was talking to a guy that is a Vikings fan and he wants Ponder at 12. I think Ponder could be a perfect match for 4 teams; SF, MN, Cincy and Miami. Three of those four will be running a West Coast offense, and Miami will be running a hybrid of a west coast/spread. MN and SF are a QB away from being a contender. I am not saying Ponder could carry them on his shoulders, but they both have enough talent he wouldn't need to and he could have a very similar start to Ryan, Flacco and Sanchez in terms of teams success.

Anyway we've got an article coming out next Tuesday about Ponder. In it we'll go over some of Ponder's background, some of the issues at Florida State, what we see on the tape, etc. Richard will be taking the lead on it. Simon capped off an interview with a prominent player for a prominent defense that played against Christian Ponder this year, and he had some real interesting things to say about the game plan facing Ponder. He also dropped something of a bomb shell on us from the perspective of facing Ponder and the FSU offense that was really in some ways pretty eye-opening.

Eye-opening good or bad? Or is that the bait to get us hooked for next week.

Ck, previously you have diagnosed Ponder with a tendency to occasionally force throws into triple/quadruple coverage and make the viewer to declare "What were you thinking!" As me and a few friends had a running gag about that tendency, i wouldnt try and defend it. What i will ask is: how much does that habit make you hesistant towards him as a prospect? And do you believe he could overcome it?

Out of all the questions concerning the quarterbacks this year, id imagine someone with Ponders football intellect(and overall intelligence) it wouldnt be hard to break. In fact, i would go so far to say it would be the easiest flaw to fix out of any of this year's quarterbacks. Then again, while a different animal, Jay Cutler throws double digit interceptions per year, so feel free to slap down my opinion.

Kdawg954 said:
I don't know if Ponder will ever showcase the kind of accuracy that Pennington has showcased throughout his career, but I can live with a little decrease in accuracy, but more velocity and mobility from the QB spot. The health of the arm is the concern and by all accounts it doesn't seem to be a concern. If Miami wants this guy, they better have a top 25 pick and not get cute with trading down to far. Seattle at 25 is very possible.
Pretty much agree with this. Ponder has grown on me too. While I am still a little weary of the injury issues, people seem to be giving him a clean bill of health like Bradford last year. I think its to the point where I would be more comfortable picking Ponder than Mallet in the draft. And I do think Ponder would be a better fit under Daboll's system better than Mallet anyways.

Based on his 2009 season he was a 1st round pick. I think the longer we head into this thing, the more people are going to be comfortable with the problems, and the more he'll be a 1st rounder again.

He's always been a tough nut for me to crack BECAUSE of the problems he showed in 2009 as well as 2010. But the more I find out about some of the issues behind those problems, the more my comfort level with him keeps getting restored back to the level of comfort I had with him in 2009 when I openly referred to him as a 1st round pick in the making and one of the reasons the 2011 QB class should be very good. That's kind of what happened with Sam Bradford, too. I had Sam Bradford as a #1 overall, not just a 1st rounder but a #1 overall, since his redshirt freshman year at Oklahoma. I sent out an email that year saying that if I'm a team that anticipates needing a QB sometime in the next two or three years, I'm starting to trade away present picks for more valuable future picks NOW, so that I have enough ammunition in whichever draft Sam Bradford comes out to make a blockbuster deal for the #1 overall pick and take him. I was that high on him. The injuries threw me off, and there were some questions some people had about whether he loved football that much. But the more I found out about the injuries and their status, the more information that flowed through, the easier it was to re-acquire the confidence I had in him. That's kind of happening with Ponder.

The one issue I take is when people talk about FSU's offense being a "complicated pro style offense" as spyder says. It's obviously not just spyder saying that so I don't want to seem like I'm picking on just him, but sometimes I feel like I'm going crazy. When I watch the FSU defense, I did not see anything complicated, nor did I see a pro style system, asking Ponder to do pro things.

Looking forward to it CK! Was hoping for an even more of a spolier especially after that last comment.

Eye-opening good or bad? Or is that the bait to get us hooked for next week.

Ck, previously you have diagnosed Ponder with a tendency to occasionally force throws into triple/quadruple coverage and make the viewer to declare "What were you thinking!" As me and a few friends had a running gag about that tendency, i wouldnt try and defend it. What i will ask is: how much does that habit make you hesistant towards him as a prospect? And do you believe he could overcome it?

Out of all the questions concerning the quarterbacks this year, id imagine someone with Ponders football intellect(and overall intelligence) it wouldnt be hard to break. In fact, i would go so far to say it would be the easiest flaw to fix out of any of this year's quarterbacks. Then again, while a different animal, Jay Cutler throws double digit interceptions per year, so feel free to slap down my opinion.

What I think you have to do in that case, and yes indeed Christian Ponder had a lot of "WTF!?!?" moments this year (and last year), what you have to do is make the effort to reach behind those moments and see what was really happening. The details are important. I don't want to give anything away about what we found out from our interview though, you'll just have to read the Draft Winds on Tuesday. :)

ponder would beat out henne then again 15 quarterbacks in this draft would beat out henne

I'm not necessarily the one taking a lead on our Christian Ponder piece. But I think you could make the case that as we get closer to the Draft, Ponder belongs in a Top 4, rather than being the guy that is on the outside looking in on a Top 3.

There are many schools of thought on drafting a quarterback. I tend NOT to adhere to one school of thought, as there are just too many guys that break the rules. I tend to be a unitarian that way. But there are tons of people that do have strong beliefs that it needs to be this way or that, they have their preferences and that will draw them to different quarterbacks in this class.

I would say there are schools of thought, valid ones, that would bring multitudes of people to each of the four quarterbacks Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett and Christian Ponder. There are no shortage of people that look at the diversity of talent in Cam Newton, the multiple threat, his manipulation of defenses and ability to think quickly, his game management and the fact that he won huge and did it with the weight of the team on his shoulders, the very large amount of distance he crossed in terms of advancing himself as a passer in a very short amount of time, and they're going to say this is the best QB prospect in this draft. This is the guy with the ceiling, this is the guy that gets off the bus and intimidates you, this is the guy you have to develop a very specialized game plan in order to defend. Various scouts and personnel people have told people like Tony Pauline and Rob Rang that they have him as the top QB in the Draft. If you're a guy that cares about physical talent, tends to think that character issues get a little overplayed, thinks that a multiple threat is actually valuable to an offense, and doesn't care about experience nearly as much as coachability? You like Cam Newton.

Meanwhile, you have guys like Mike Mayock, Charlie Casserly and Michael Lombardi absolutely pounding the table for Blaine Gabbert. There's a lot to like there. In addition to looking more natural as a thrower, more natural with his footwork than a Newton, he has the big arm and the accuracy to make all the throws. He struggles with the deep ball but history has shown that guys with that weakness can improve it considerably with pro coaching and if provided receivers that can run under a ball. He's a superb athlete that can throw on the run and make plays happen. Players that played against him regard him as extremely talented, hard to defend. If you are a guy that cares a lot about physical talent, but also cares a lot about character issues, Blaine Gabbert is probably your guy.

On the other hand, what if you're a guy that cares a lot about physical talent, thinks that character stuff gets really overplayed and that what really matters is that you can play pro football with great talent, but you also care a lot about conventions like experience, coming from a pro style offense, making pro style reads and throws that translate to the pros? If that's you, Ryan Mallett is your guy. And sure enough you have people like our own TedSlimmJr, who as a guy that has coached quarterbacks for a long time I respect a lot, rating Mallett the best. I see that K.C. Joyner recently penned an article claiming that Ryan Mallett is the best.

More recently we have guys like Wes Bunting stepping up to the plate and being bold enough to say wait a minute, what if for you the top issues you care about, the things you want in a player, are all those intangibles that scouts keep SWEARING to you are the most important when it comes to a quarterback making it in the pros? Things like toughness, outstanding intelligence, leadership, fighting through adversity and winning ball games with your arm, etc. What if that's all very, very important to you? And what if what's also important to you IS that you have pro style timing, throw with anticipation, can make pro style reads and operate a pro style offense, etc. If that's the case, Christian Ponder is your guy, and that's what Wes Bunting has been thumping for a while now. If you value things like intangibles and character, then you're probably not going to tend toward Newton or Mallett. If you value the pro translation you're going to be against Newton and Gabbert. That leaves you on Ponder.

The guys that are missing from all this are Jake Locker, Colin Kaepernick, Ricky Stanzi, Andy Dalton, T.J. Yates, Greg McElroy, etc. No matter what kind of person you are when it comes to evaluating QBs, no matter what you tend to value (with reason), I don't think any combination of things is going to take you to one of those guys as the BEST of the class. And that's why I think there will be four QBs taken in the 1st round this April, and they will be Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Ryan Mallett and Christian Ponder. And, the order in which those guys go, could surprise many people.

ponder would beat out henne then again 15 quarterbacks in this draft would beat out henne

I know Henne bashing is in vogue, and I'm not trying to say the guy is all pro or anything, but that's a little ridiculous. There aren't 15 quarterbacks in this draft that would beat out Henne for a starting spot on the Dolphins.

I find it very odd that people are falling in love with a qb with known shoulder injuries and concerns, and would be happy for miami to draft him in the 1st round, HOWEVER, last years pick Odrick broke his leg in the 1st game of the year, and was supposedly known to have a leg issue in college, and have bagged the same regime for drafting an injury prone footballer.

To me, there is no way in the world that I would consider a qb with either shoulder concerns, attitude concerns or possible drug history over a rb who is the best rb in the draft.

Somebody tell why i am wrong with these concerns.......

If Miami thinks he's the guy, forget trading down and take him at 15. However, for some reason I think he's off our radar. I think we're stuck on the Colin Kaepernick bandwagon unfortunately.

Back
Top Bottom