Christian Wilkins and the reality of our cap situation | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Christian Wilkins and the reality of our cap situation

Kyndig

Seasoned Veteran
Super Donator
Club Member
Reaction score
I’m amazed I hear so many takes and opinions that assume Christian Wilkins back to the Dolphins is a foregone conclusion. he wouldn’t sign last year in the $20 million per year range because he wanted $24 million per. So,. He bet on himself, had a great year, and what, people think that we will sign him for less than $24 million per?

Then some people say “Franchise him”. We don’t have the cap room to franchise him, that doesn’t make any sense either.

Look, I like Christian Wilkins, but:

-For the money he wants you could sign three quality starters. How about Van Ginkle, Robert Hunt, and Raekown Davis in the middle. You only need another fat guy in the middle to eat up blockers and be stout against the run. We get plenty of pressure from our Edge players especially when they are all healthy.

-Zach Sieler has equal if not greater production and we got him for 1/3 the price. How do you justify giving Wilkins 3 times what we gave Sieler?

Maybe you could transition tag him to pick up a draft pick when someone signs him to an offer sheet? The position just isn’t worth that much of an investment, especially considering our cap situation and all of the players we have to sign and bring back.

If anything, I’d say the number one priority is the offensive line. Decisions on Robert Hunt & Conner Williams, and Isaiah Wynn (who wont’ be expensive to bring back if you want to). But we need quality depth, and may draft Olinemen with our first two draft picks. There is speculation that Hunt is $8-10 million per, and Conner may be more than that, although he is coming off of a pretty serious injury.

In any case, I just don’t see how it makes sense to sink the amount of money that Wilkins is no doubt going to ask for Into the defensive tackle position.

It’s a shame, he’s a really good player and I dig him, but… math…

Last edited:
They can’t afford to sign him if he is expecting to sign for $24 million a year. He is obviously one of the top DT’s in the NFL but the Dolphins salary cap just doesn’t allow for spending that type money on a DT.

The Dolphins need to keep improving the offense. Which means they need to spend their cap money to continue to improve their offensive line and their TE and RB positions.

Hopefully they will be able to figure out a way to resign AVG since Phillips and Chubb will likely miss parts of the 2024 while still recovering from their injuries.

With the need to spend money on offense and signing AVG a priority, IMO. I just don’t see them having the money to sign Wilkins for the type money he seems to want.

I’m amazed I hear so many takes and opinions that assume Christian Wilkins back to the Dolphins is a foregone conclusion. he wouldn’t sign last year in the $20 million per year range because he wanted $24 million per. So,. He bet on himself, had a great year, and what, people think that we will sign him for less than $24 million per?

Then some people say “Franchise him”. We don’t have the cap room to franchise him, that doesn’t make any sense either.

-For the money he wants you could sign three quality starters. How about Van Ginkle, Robert Hunt, and Raekown Davis in the middle. You only need another fat guy in the middle to eat up blockers and be stout against the run. We get plenty of pressure from our Edge players especially when they are all healthy.

-Zach Sieler has equal if not greater production and we got him for 1/3 the price. How do you justify giving Wilkins 3 times what we gave Sieler?

Maybe you could transition tag him to pick up a draft pick when someone signs him to an offer sheet? The position just isn’t worth that much of an investment, especially considering our cap situation and all of the players we have to sign and bring back.

If anything, I’d say the number one priority is the offensive line. Decisions on Robert Hunt & Conner Williams, and Isaiah Wynn (who wont’ be expensive to bring back if you want to). But we need quality depth, and may draft Olinemen with our first two draft picks. There is speculation that Hunt is $8-10 million per, and Conner may be more than that, although he is coming off of a pretty serious injury.

In any case, I just don’t see how it makes sense to sink the amount of money that Wilkins is no doubt going to ask for Into the defensive tackle position.

Who told you he wanted 24 mil per year? Was that verified?

If Grier is worth anything, we should be able to move him for a pick. I assume it’s a tag and trade or sign in trade, but I think the homegrown guys that develop nicely should reap some kind of award for us.

But I agree 24 is probably his value, but I think it’s too steep for us, Quinn and Williams of the Jets is a force And his value is more in my eyes as it should be due to the pressure he gets but Wilkins had a great year can’t deny that.

We need Wilkins. We also need a couple other Vita Vea like players for our D line. Grab those guys in the upcoming draft. They are there. Grier just needs to look.

If not there, do what Eagles did in finding Mailata. They are there. I’ve seen them.

If Grier is worth anything, we should be able to move him for a pick. I assume it’s a tag and trade or sign in trade, but I think the homegrown guys that develop nicely should reap some kind of award for us.

But I agree 24 is probably his value, but I think it’s too steep for us, Quinn and Williams of the Jets is a force And his value is more in my eyes as it should be due to the pressure he gets but Wilkins had a great year can’t deny that.
His value isn't $24M a year though, not in my eyes anyway. Not when I see Ed Oliver re-signing in Buffalo for 4 years, $68M.

I havnt seen many ppl saying Wilkins is coming back. I assumed most of us heard Grier say "Wilkins has earned the right to be a free agent"

Anyone who thinks Wilkins will be back is just setting themselves up for heart ache.

Who told you he wanted 24 mil per year? Was that verified?
Three different sources, one was the lads from Three yards per carry, the other was Omar Kelly, and I can’t remember the 3rd, (might have been Reason from Phinside the nfl? but that‘S what I heard from multiple sources who heard it from their sources on the Dolphins. Those numbers were based on Quinen Williams contract who signed in 2023:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-jets/quinnen-williams-29038/

Which was for $96 million over 4 years.

He wanted basically the same contract. He was apparently offered in the $18-20 million range but he turned it down, and then opted to play on his 5th year option And bet on himself. He got 6 sacks, and had a great year, so I assume he’s going to look for at least the same amount of money if not more.

Last edited:
Majority of the takes on this site, now and at the end of the last two seasons, are similar to that below:

View attachment 159403

The chant by the shet throwers is like an old song played too often. “Let’s tear this shet down and start again,” the chorus says.
Very nice! I was looking for that one earlier but ended up settling for a dog taking a dump with a little girl petting him.

That’s why I suggested the transition tag…

Valid point. Take a player's (Wilkin's) salary and determine what and how many upgrades can be gained for that salary. And it doesn't have to be in-house. Hunt and a couple of others may bring more value

We have decent luck with DL, so I am confident we can find someone serviceable, if not better.

Back
Top Bottom