Chronicles Of The "nigerian Nightmare"....o-gun Starts.. Who Would Of Believed? | Page 2 | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Chronicles Of The "nigerian Nightmare"....o-gun Starts.. Who Would Of Believed?

Ogunleye is going to be our version of Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila. Everyone will be paying attention to Jason Taylor while this speedster rushes the outside and leads the league in sacks during the month of Septembet.

Then attention will be paid...and Jason Taylor will come alive.

considering how few sacks we had last year and still led the league in pass D, I am going to be much more concerned about O-Gun ag. the run.

I'm not concerned about O-Gun against the run. The DE can do very little against the run anyway. I mean go to the absolute extreme and substitute Kenny Mixon (known as one of the better run defending LDEs) with say...Simeon Rice (who was always noted to "give up" against the run) and you still don't notice a whole big amount of difference.

DT is where you get your bang for your buck against the run. Substitute an Ernest Grant for a Daryl Gardener, and you'll notice a whole heck of a lot more rushing yards being gained by the other team.

These two reasons are why IMO Daryl Gardener was ultimately released. The amount of damage he could even do as a LDE, just did not make the **** he pulls worth it given his salary.

But all the same, Ogunleye is better equipped than David Bowens or Rob Burnett against the run. AND, he showed himself more effective than Jay Williams against the run as well. When I saw him play, he used leverage very well, and was making plays against the run and pass. Which is why I'm extremely excited.

It's all about keeping containment and not getting blown off the ball or being overpowered and steered inside or outside. And if you're really good, you can chase plays down from behind.

I came up with O-Gun last offseason on DT. But I think we could do better. He goes by Wallay. I think we can start a thread and see if we can come up with anything better.

Let's all say it together.....

"O-Gun Is His Name, And Sacking QB's Is His Game!!".....

He will be a force opposite J. Taylor that nobody in the NFL has even had the dis-pleasure of dealing with. This could be just the guy we've needed since the departure of classy veteran T. Armstrong went to Oakland.....

I think O-Gun, rotating with D-Bow will be a Miami sack machine for years to come. They are much better than the L. Bromell/K. Mixon sackless combo we had last year.....I liked Bromell because he was intense, and both of these youngsters have plenty of that.

These two guys will make J. Taylor look great. Just like T. Armstrong did.....

"O-Gun Is His Name, And Sacking QB's Is His Game!!".....

PHINZ RULE!!!

Those are indeed the duties Muck but I still say that the difference between a starter who is "good" at defending the run, and a starter who is "bad" at defending the run (notice I say starters...there's a "within reason" clause involved)...in terms of how much a teams run defense can improve, is just not that big. Like say we allowed 100 yards rushing per game with Kenny Mixon in at LDE. If we switched him out with like, Simeon Rice, its not like we'd blow up to 115 yards rushing per game IMO. MAYBE it'd go up to like 105 or somethin. Meanwhile, if we had a healthy DG in at DT we'd average like 85 yards rushing per game, then he comes out of the game and Ernest Grant comes in and immediately that would run up to like 115 yards. So like I said, you get the most bang for your buck by improving the DT rotation...so its worth it to me economically speaking to have another passrusher coming from the other side of JT to blow up plays...rather than having a guy who cant rush the passer just "holding up at the point of attack" at LDE in order to help our run defense a teensy bit. Now if we were talking about the LDT position.....well....the opposite is true which is why we kept Romero over Taylor.

I've been calling him the Nigerian Bad Dream. O-Gun is just easy, I mean I find myself about to type "ogunleye" and then I say ahh screw it I can pull up short with just 4 letters. He goes by Wallay.

I agree CK. Obviously DT more important that DE in the run game.

Theres a story on O-Gun ...not sure if its true or not....That he was supposed to be ahead of (I believe) Courtney Brown in the Draft, but instead becuase of a serouis Injury he was dropped by teams to be drafted by us in the 7th round.....anyways not sure if its true but wanted to throw it out there.

Well yes thats an obvious point. DT is definitely more important. The more controversial point I was tryin to make is that if say Adewale Ogunleye was a moderately better passrusher than Jay Williams but Jay Williams was a vastly superior run stuffing LDE to Adewale Ogunleye...then to me its worth it to start Ogunleye, not Williams even though Williams is "vastly superior" in one area and only "moderately inferior" in the other.

If we got more pressure on Kurt Warner, he would not have been able to embarrass us like he did. A lot of teams are trying for that high flying attack nowadays too...the dink and dunk passing, the running QB, etc. The WCO is making a resurgence with a number of teams. And some other teams are moulding themselves into the Eagles attack. And still more are (going to try) moulding themselves into the Rams. Power runners are getting to be yesteryear, slashers are in.

WCF the Phins did not draft Ogunleye. He was considered by some draftniks a "possible first rounder" going into his senior year. Some in retrospect have exaggerated this a bit into "definite first rounder," or "mid-first rounder," or "top ten pick," and I guess now some are saying better than Courtney Brown who was the #1 pick in the draft. These are exaggerations. He had a ton of sacks at Indiana but that doesn't mean he was penciled in as a high pick no matter what. He still had to prove himself one more year to solidify that first round status...and instead he blew out his knee he||a nastylike and gave everyone the Steve Emtman chills.

He went undrafted and the Dolphins beat out a few teams that were willing to do the same thing we were, put him on injured reserve for a year and eat his salary, be patient with him a couple of years while he gives us nothing, and possibly reap the benefits down the road.

Looking at preseason it looks like we got pass rushers at the expense of run stoppers..but it hard to tell since Chester and Bowens were out so much..this week will be the first chance to see what we really have...but if Ogun and pass rush like he did doing the preseason..I'll take that ..he didn't look too bad on the run d from what little I saw of him...but I saw very little..so I'm not sure..But if he's starting the coaches must have seem something of his run stopping ability to put him ahead of J. W. and R. B. vets in this league.

I begged the question before...considering the rotation, the guy who gets the "start" may not be the best DE in the rotation. We're throwing the moneyman in there on pass downs to get the sacks, the stuffer on 1st and 2nd downs to stuff the run. Jay Williams only got 1 sack cuz he was kept out of nearly every 3rd down in Carolina. This could be the primary reason Wanny was reluctant to name Ogunleye the starter until now. It doesn't mean much. Naming Ogunleye the starter and the moneyman would mean he plays as much as Jason Taylor does, and that means Jay Williams and Rob Burnett only come in on obvious pass situations at DT...and David Bowens, heck he never gets used. And that would be probably underutilizing our talent...

Originally posted by clumpedplatelet
We didn't play Houston :rolleyes:

NO, but we did have 7 sacks against Tampa Bay. Moron.

:monkey: Bills and clumpedplatelet's comments.

Back
Top Bottom