Clear up of Next Season | FinHeaven - Miami Dolphins Forums

Clear up of Next Season

Jaj

What you say?
Reaction score
If Freeman plays well Marion may be considered. Marion might just retire if we win the Superbowl.

It is a three step thing.

Likely.

Perry-the guy is gone
Griese will have a definite re-structuring or will be cut outright.

Possibles-Based on performance

Bowens
Ruddy
McKnight
Marion
Fiedler or re-structuring if he feels like taking a backup role.
I am not mentioning some really low guys on the level of a guy with Ed Perry's salary.

Not likely

Madison-It is just not likely to split Surtain and him up when Vincent is still going strong up there in Philly.

The way I see it one of Nails and Wade will be gone and the other replaced by Whitley. I see it as Nails since Smith is more of a LT. Not really that much of a loss, yes Nails is good, but he may want major cash if he gets a big ego. He is not a great pass blocker either. Greenwood is gone if he is not the starter this year as he will try to get a starting job at this point in his career. Minor should not be considered a huge loss if he goes as Irvin is good at receiving and Henry would be the true backup.

i would like to see minor be used in a more diversified role. I'd like to see him used as a slot receiver some and help eliminate this should we keep 4 or 5+ WRs, etc. Speaking of Ed perry, why can't some of the other lineman learn to long snap? it's a shame to use a valuable roster spot for someone to just snap a ball.

I don't see us losing the entire interior of our line next year....and possibly Dixon (not to mention Wade). That's way too much turnover. If Nails comes back strong, we will re-sign him. He's big, he's strong, and he can move. They won't let him get away. Heck, they'd already be working on him had he not gotten hurt.

I am pretty sure they can, but Perry has never screwed up if I remember correctly. I woudl like to see him catch again though. He did that in his sophomore season and looked good doing it.

Originally posted by DeDolfan
Speaking of Ed perry, why can't some of the other lineman learn to long snap? it's a shame to use a valuable roster spot for someone to just snap a ball.

Usually, lineman are not long snappers. It is generally done by a "TE"....as you need someone who's somewhat tall and athletic to get downfield to cover punts. They used to try and bring a few guys over to try and unseat Ed Perry every year. And it was a complete joke.

Don't underestimate how much time and effort long snappers put into their job. They take it very seriously. And rightfully so. They get only a few chances every game.....usually in crucial situations. And they are expected to be perfect every single time.

And you can bet that Olindo Mare would be highly p*ssed if they just brought somebody on n to be taught.

It's pretty much become accepted practice that you allocate a roster spot for your long snapper. It's that important.

It is an unforgiving job quite frankly. Trey Junkin's career will be marred by that after looking at just how good he was before that. A rb on the other hand makes a horrible run. So what if he gets a 15 yard gain on the next. A LS does that and he is 75% chance going to be cut no matter how good the next punt is. Still I did not really understand the point of Battaglia as two TE is enough. If one gets injured Perry could do it.

Originally posted by Jaj
Greenwood is gone if he is not the starter this year as he will try to get a starting job at this point in his career. Minor should not be considered a huge loss if he goes as Irvin is good at receiving and Henry would be the true backup.

Both players will be RFA and the worse they play the more likely they will return. They may not be stars, but still paying 600k for a good backup is a bargain.

So if Minor gets 3.0 a carry he should be re-signed?

Minor IMO is our best RB besides Ricky. I say re-sign him as long as you are not overpaying.

Minor will be a RFA so we can match any offer he gets if he gets any. I think he is a very good backup.

Originally posted by Jaj
Still I did not really understand the point of Battaglia as two TE is enough. If one gets injured Perry could do it.

Okay....now suppose, you have a situation where Perry has to play.......now suppose he gets injured also....now you've screwed up two positions.

Like muck says, LS is it's own position, you might as well not even call Perry a TE anymore.

But im sure we would like to start if there is a position to start next year.. And i dont tihnk we should over pay him

Perry is a decent tight end, but as already mentioned we dont want to play him there and risk an injury
he is very valuable at LS, so all three other TE are definitely needed
i think the NFL should look into the allowance of a 53 man roster plus a designated long snapper that doesnt count as part of the 53
each team could either use it or not
it is starting to become a specialty position and im sure the majority of teams would be all for it
a lot of teams have a player that is basically just a long snapper, this didnt used to be like this, so the additional spot would help

If they did that, then they'd have to make allowances for the kicker and punter as well. Messy.

Originally posted by unclemonty
Perry is a decent tight end, but as already mentioned we dont want to play him there and risk an injury
he is very valuable at LS, so all three other TE are definitely needed
i think the NFL should look into the allowance of a 53 man roster plus a designated long snapper that doesnt count as part of the 53
each team could either use it or not
it is starting to become a specialty position and im sure the majority of teams would be all for it
a lot of teams have a player that is basically just a long snapper, this didnt used to be like this, so the additional spot would help

I don't think that is a good idea at all... you have 53 spots, you do what you want. There is no allocation for any position. You can have 53 rb's if you want. 53 is plenty to fill all your needs. and what if all our te's did get hurt and we need to put in perry? would we not be allowed to because he is allocated as a ls? it just would not work.

Back
Top Bottom